Page 56 of 57 FirstFirst ... 64654555657 LastLast

Thread: The Daily Groan (A thread to ease your pain) - The 3rd!

Blog Entries

Thanks to Alexa, a lot of people now know that too.
    Still using Alexa though. The chances the government would want you for some reason seems slim if you're an average person who doesn't spew hate speech or have some 'agenda'.
    Timber wolf therian-- changeling-- horse hearted
    ~Being kin is a journey of finding yourself, loosing yourself, searching and doing it all over again.~

Quote Originally Posted by Vintage View Post
    Thanks to Alexa, a lot of people now know that too.
    Still using Alexa though. The chances the government would want you for some reason seems slim if you're an average person who doesn't spew hate speech or have some 'agenda'.
    That's why I don't have all that Alexa and tweets and Blogs and facebook type stuff because of stuff like that and also that I have no need for such a thing. The only thing I need is email to keep in touch with my fellow therians. I really don't see a need for a A.I computer for doing stuff like turning on the lights or to use a washing machine. Then again, I am old fashion.
    Last edited by hotdogwolf; May 5th, 2019 at 09:39 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DragonicWolf View Post
    Oh, im guessing you are doing fieldwork for science? What thesis are you working on? or are you collecting data for other reasons?
    Yeah, field biology. I was on a lesser prairie chicken translocation project this spring. Did a similar thing with sage-grouse last spring. I was just on for the trapping portion of the project. Some of the others on the crew will be doing some habitat monitoring and following the survival and locations of our birds via their radio collars.

But I've moved to another project for the rest of the summer and am finding a few species of threatened/endangered birds and helping rope off their nesting sites and such. Later in the summer I'll be busy with some bat monitoring and continued plague management work as well.

I finished my Master's thesis some years back and have since been working a variety of field jobs.

My daily groan is that I've finally started having really vivid dreams again but most of them have been stressful!

Blog Entries

Having to do a bit of human adulting this year. Was unemployed in 2016 and mostly lived off my credit cards. Problem is when I got a job I didn't put sufficient focus on repaying the debt. Too many impulse purchases, movies and dining out. Resolved to cut way back on all of that this year to get things under control. I'm not in dire straits, just tired of seeing how much I'm paying in interest each month that could go toward more fun things.

Forever Running, RunningRed

Blog Entries

One of the cats has untreatable feline leukemia. She doesn't have long left, and because I'm a couple day's travel away and have work, I won't be able to see her before she dies.

She's not young, but she's not our oldest... and I'd hoped to have more years with her.
    "If you are worthy of his affection, a cat will be your friend but never your slave. He keeps his free will though he loves, and will not do for you what he thinks unreasonable; but if he once gives himself to you, it is with absolute confidence and fidelity of affection." -Theophile Gautier

Getting old blows. Been a minute, but I've had some internal organs removed since I was here last and the weird weather in the mountains right now is making my ribs hurt and my wrists aren't doing great these days (after most a decade of writing code) either.

Don't get old kids. Stay young forever.
    There is a song I hear: A melody from the past.
    I've opened a discord server for therians, if that's your thing.

Blog Entries

Really sorry for being so absent, everybody, especially as we're working on so much new stuff with Werelist.

My beloved cockatiel died really suddenly and inexplicably despite her young age and our best efforts rushing her to an emergency vet. So I'm feeling pretty crappy right now. She was the best. The shock has worn off, and so I'm just feeling depressed and missing her terribly.

I'm waiting on necropsy results. Hopefully it provides some information. The vets suspected that despite her youth and good diet, she may have had atherosclerosis.

I'll let you all know what we find out.

Blog Entries

I'm sorry for your loss, Kisota. It's terribly difficult when a beloved pet dies.
    My WebComics: Black Tapestries + The Realm of Kaerwyn
    My Creative Group Writing RP: Kaerwyn

Partner and I split up after the better part of half a decade together, a little over a week ago. I initiated it, but it was more of a difficult choice for what I thought was the best rather than "I explicitly don't want to be with this person anymore". Combine the mild self-doubt over that with the strangeness of coming home to an empty house every night for the first time in years and it's been an odd/slightly down week.

Blog Entries

Sorry to hear that, Vik. I hope it was amicable.

Forgot to update here about my birdie. She was found to have chronic kidney failure with metastatic mineralization. Essentially, her kidneys were going downhill slowly for a very long time and it was meaning unfiltered minerals were traveling and building up in places in her body. It was absolutely heart-wrenching to read that report.

Unfortunately, the cause can't be certain, but since it seems to have been going on for a long time, it's probably diet-related. I tried to give her a mixed diet, but the bulk of what she ate were formulated parrot pellets. Every vet she ever saw was pleased with the mix of that and "Nutriberries" (a hulled-seed, fruit, and pellet food in the form of little clusters).

BUT... it's been documented that very occasionally, parrots on pellet-heavy diets can develop kidney failure. Why that only happens to them on rare occasions I don't know. I wish there was more research, like there seems to be for dog food. Cockatiels are grass foragers in the wild, so she may have even done better on those garbage seed mixes many people feed exclusively.

It sucks. She was in to her regular vet two weeks before her death because I thought she seemed off and I always thought her droppings looked weird. I was that close.

I'm still having a lot of moments of missing her intensely. She really was my best little friend and absolutely the sweetest, cuddliest bird you can imagine. I've been working on ways of being better for my other bird and for our next cockatiel. Daily fresh food, etc. And I got one of the Aviator bird harnesses so I can start working with a new bird immediately and hopefully give them more enrichment through going outside and stuff. I'm dreaming about parrots almost constantly, but at least they haven't been nightmares like when my last bird died.

Anyway, been processing that grief fairly well. We still look at photos and cry. But the waves become smaller and less frequent.

Lately my biggest groan has been that my body image hasn't been very good. Slipped out of some of my exercise regimens because of how busy the last month or so has been. A few weeks of social outings also meant eating more unhealthily. Since I prefer to stay pretty lean-muscled and trim to keep dysphoria down, it's been amping up lately. Unfortunately, the drawback to my friend visiting and then us going on vacation is that regular exercise routines and eating is going to be compromised for most of the rest of the month. I'll be careful, but there's just no way of keeping up with the routines I usually use to battle these things.

After that I'll be buckling down to correct anything and get my strength back. Hopefully I'll have some other good news about off-season work and maybe about baby birds by the end of the month, too.