Page 68 of 69 FirstFirst ... 185866676869 LastLast

Thread: The Daily Groan (A thread to ease your pain) - The 3rd!

Blog Entries

I hate not being able to go into work. Work is still happening, you see. Responsibility for classes hundreds of people attend has just been foisted off to coworkers I have to advise over the Internet or phone. Everything still needs to be done, I'm just not there to do it. Or see it; I have to get periodic updates via telecommunications.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodmuffins View Post
    I work with young adolescents, and today they incorrectly used "kin" and "kinnie" in the context of "strongly relating to a character." I almost corrected them, but my anxiety spiked and I ended up chickening out. I feel guilty for not speaking up, but I'm also trying to be compassionate to myself given how anxious I got. I hope I can get to a place where I can speak up more confidently.
    Gods, that sounds hellish.
    "If you are worthy of his affection, a cat will be your friend but never your slave. He keeps his free will though he loves, and will not do for you what he thinks unreasonable; but if he once gives himself to you, it is with absolute confidence and fidelity of affection." -Theophile Gautier

I love chocolate but it gives me anxiety

I spent today further researching measures of autistic traits and they're all so problematic. They're rooted in DSM-IV criteria that's both outdated and rooted in harmful medical models of autism. I really don't feel great about using any of them in my dissertation, but I don't want to get rid of the quantitative autistic traits portion of the study either. Not sure what to do and trying to think of ways to possibly reconceptualize the way I'm incorporating autism in the study to be more in line with a neurodiversity model and not perpetuate the historical and ongoing harms of the medical model. I'm looking forward to consulting about this in my research lab tomorrow; hopefully we come up with some good ideas.

Blog Entries

Animal is not a simplistic polar opposite of human. I wish people in general would stop putting words in my mouth.
    "To insult someone we call him 'bestial'. For deliberate cruelty and nature, 'human' might be the greater insult."
    — Isaac Asimov

Blog Entries

I don't give a fuck what day it is. Don't fucking bring lilies into the house where there's fucking cats you morons.
    No, not knowing isn't a fucking excuse when you have technology at your disposal to tell you what they are if you can't identify them.

Edit: It's really fucking tempting not to shove those lilies down the throat of the selfish bitch crying because the flowers have been put outside. I won't because I'm fully aware of the toxicity they have to humans, too.
    Last edited by Berlin; February 13th, 2021 at 05:28 PM.

Blog Entries

Day 2 and still snowed in to our home. Weather suggests this will continue for at least another 2 days. We also just received word our sister is even worse off and is now without power with no news on when it will be restored.

We hope everyone can stay safe out there. Best wishes.

- Ocean Watcher

Blog Entries

Hope she stays safe.

It looks like we'll be coming out of the really low temps soon, but the snow will continue and it's not going to be melting anytime soon. High temperatures are in the upper tens at most. We have a winter weather advisory that's going to end soon--but I suspect we'll have another one soon enough. Just because it's warmer doesn't mean the roads won't be covered in windblown snow anyway.
    "If you are worthy of his affection, a cat will be your friend but never your slave. He keeps his free will though he loves, and will not do for you what he thinks unreasonable; but if he once gives himself to you, it is with absolute confidence and fidelity of affection." -Theophile Gautier

Blog Entries

Best wishes to everyone in the path of the intense weather!! Keep us updated. :C It was cold but sunny here today.

Just read up on what's happening with the weather over there. I hope all of you who are in its path manage to stay safe and things get back to normal ASAP.
    "We have doomed the wolf not for what it is, but for what we deliberately and mistakenly perceive it to be––the mythologized epitome of a savage, ruthless killer––which is, in reality, no more than the reflected image of ourself." – Farley Mowat, Never Cry Wolf

Blog Entries

If it's not 30, 40, 50 degrees (Fahrenheit) out without humidity, I want no fucking part in being outside. I fucking hate this state. I hate humidity. I have sensory issues set off by certain kinds of weather. I cannot fucking deal with this shit. Also really don't want to be out when people are around if I have any choice. Fuck that, too. Going to start going out at 3 or 4 fucking AM.
    Last edited by Berlin; February 26th, 2021 at 09:54 AM.