Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Audio-book Suggestions?

I think it was just the Screwtape Letters, unfortunately.

While the religious overtones of these books are overt, they're still quite, quite good. Scewtape Letters is a book about how a lot of Christians are going to hell. It's pretty awesome to hear him do the voice of an uptight British demon writing letters about clever tricks to make people stray off into the path of political religion and being a deplorable human being.

I'd also like to suggest a book called "All You Need is Kill". Sci-fi book that "Edge of Tomorrow" is based on. It's very, very, very good.
    And the series everyone who likes fantasy and sci-fi should read: The Dragonriders of Pern series. It laid the foundation for tons and tons of sci-fi and fantasy books, and recreated dragons into what Eragon stole judiciously to make a so-so tribute to it.
    "In war, fear is the woman your mother warned you about."
    - Hiroshi Sakurazaka, "All You Need is Kill"

Blog Entries

All such amazing recommendations XD I won't want for reading material for quite some time! And honestly some of the books y'all have recommended I would probably love to re-read. I mean heck, the Redwall series I haven't read since middle/high school, so I know I'm cloudy on my memory of those.

Blog Entries

Strill, I have some downloads of Alien Voices. They're sci-fi stories read as dramas, with some actors who did Star Trek. I can dropbox them for you if you want.

I don't know if it's available as audio, but John Scalzi's Redshirts is a great story. It takes place in a Star Trek-like universe, from the point of view of a red shirt, and has so much fun with that trope.

I'd bet you'd also like Patricia Briggs' Mercedes Thompson & Alpha and Omega stories. They're urban fantasies with were/vamps/etc, etc.

Forever Running, RunningRed

Blog Entries

Well, my Audio Book quest is on pause. Apparently they cost a LOT and it can start adding up since I'd go through a few a week. HoC I'll try the library one and go get myself a library card in town to see what they have. If anything, I can maybe get some nonfiction and study something random.

Blog Entries

Yeah, your nearby library should have a decent selection of audio. Some libraries even have an option to download audio books (might require specific software). And it's not a problem to get transfers from other libraries in the same system

Forever Running, RunningRed