Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Wars? (Spoilers!)

Blog Entries

I would choose Sith, mainly because all of that "not-falling-in-love" bullshit would drive me crazy (even though I could do it, I just would be miserable rather than peaceful).

Plus Force Lightning would be very useful.

True. That rule seems a bit extreme on the Jedi's part. Though it does make sense how you don't want to get too attached when you're constantly defending the galaxy.

I agree, force lightning is pretty badass. It seems like from the movies and lore that Jedi don't use it. It's like an unmentioned rule that nearly every Jedi follows. They can redirect force lightning but can' actually preform it themselves.
    Last edited by CaThRSys; December 22nd, 2015 at 09:08 PM.
    "See my shadow changing, Stretching up and over me,Soften this old armor, Hoping I can clear the way,By stepping through my shadow, Coming out the other side, Step into the shadow, Forty six and two are just ahead of me.”
    -46 & 2 by Tool

Blog Entries

I may have shed manly tears in the theater.

Manly nostalgia tears!!

It was so good and I want to see it again and... man, it's just reignited my love for Star Wars... I've started even remembering more stuff about how big it was for us when we were little! It's nuts.

I wish I could see it again with my family. I am very pleased with it. After those prequels I think a lot of us kind of were worried...

But all is forgiven.

That said, nothing will ever top Episodes IV, V, and VI. This is a good follow-up though.

(Highlight for BIG FAT SPOILER below.)

Harrison Ford finally got his wish. I hope he's satisfied.
    Last edited by Kisota; December 22nd, 2015 at 11:23 PM.

I moved a few "Star Wars" posts from the Daily Thoughts thread to this one so people can continue discussing the movie.

Blog Entries

I finally got around to seeing this yesterday. People were making me excited with all their praise for this movie! I should have known better.

After my friend Josh and I left the theater, the first thing I said was that I would say that I'm disappointed, but that this is what I expected. The movie wasn't horrible, not even bad. It's basically a typical JJ Abrams movie. I hate JJ Abrams as a filmmaker, so I guess I shouldn't haven't been terribly surprised. His cinematography isn't bad, but his movies can never rise above mediocrity. It's a good way of describing this movie. The new lead characters in particular were very, very weak.

I have to say I'm cautiously looking forward to the spin-offs. As long as JJ Abrams isn't touching them, there's a chance that they could be good, especially without this pathological need to attempt to dwell in the shadow of the originals. For all its faults, at least the prequel trilogy tried to stand on its own legs. Rogue One might succeed if they manage to avoid simply rehashing old ground... again.

Blog Entries

It was, in many ways A New Hope II. And the idea that in sixty years that Luke would be viewed as nothing but a legend is... questionable, at best. I feel like they're way too enthusiastic about making things fall into myth.
    "If you are worthy of his affection, a cat will be your friend but never your slave. He keeps his free will though he loves, and will not do for you what he thinks unreasonable; but if he once gives himself to you, it is with absolute confidence and fidelity of affection." -Theophile Gautier

I take back my word! I did see the movie, as my brother convinced me to go. I must say, it was better than I thought it was going to be.
    Reality is an illusion, the universe is hologram, buy gold, bye!

"The stylin', profilin', limousine riding, jet flying, kiss stealing, wheelin' n' dealin' son of a gun!"

Quote Originally Posted by TopBrass View Post
    I finally got around to seeing this yesterday. People were making me excited with all their praise for this movie! I should have known better.

After my friend Josh and I left the theater, the first thing I said was that I would say that I'm disappointed, but that this is what I expected. The movie wasn't horrible, not even bad. It's basically a typical JJ Abrams movie. I hate JJ Abrams as a filmmaker, so I guess I shouldn't haven't been terribly surprised. His cinematography isn't bad, but his movies can never rise above mediocrity. It's a good way of describing this movie. The new lead characters in particular were very, very weak.

I have to say I'm cautiously looking forward to the spin-offs. As long as JJ Abrams isn't touching them, there's a chance that they could be good, especially without this pathological need to attempt to dwell in the shadow of the originals. For all its faults, at least the prequel trilogy tried to stand on its own legs. Rogue One might succeed if they manage to avoid simply rehashing old ground... again.
    Still better than George Lucas in the prequels though. Hey I like the prequels enough to tolerate them but at least this one didn't have cringe-worthy romance senses, and the romance in SWTFA was short, horrible CGI and politics.
    Over all I respect your opinion, but I liked it, though I couldn't help but to nit pick and over judge it because I had extremely high expectations. And yeah, I guess I was underwhelmed because the trailers were depicting Kylo Ren as a major badass.
    But he seemed childish, despite him only being a dark force user in training (I don't think they are sith, they never called themselves sith). And I did miss the screen wipes from the classics.
    Also, I have learned over the past years to not trust hype and don't watch trailers. It makes the experience better.
    And at least Michel Bay didn't direct that. If he did I bet they everything would explode, and Kylo Ren would of been a robot transformer or some crap like that. But yeah, I'm glad Disney isn't going to let only one director do the rest of the saga, it allows for different takes on the story.
    "See my shadow changing, Stretching up and over me,Soften this old armor, Hoping I can clear the way,By stepping through my shadow, Coming out the other side, Step into the shadow, Forty six and two are just ahead of me.”
    -46 & 2 by Tool

Blog Entries

Just saw this movie today! I purposefully avoided all information and spoilers on it pretty successfully, so nothing really got spoiled for me and I got some nice surprises. Gotta say, the Star Wars franchise loves them some Hero's Journey model though, man. I could predict almost everything, and while it's kind of something the audience expects to happen in a way, I didn't think they'd take the model quite to the letter...again.
    That being said, I did like it! The characterization was good, I liked the new introduced ones (Except maybe not so much that giant nose with a wig on it, Kylo Ren), and I really liked the new female protagonist, Rey. Also enjoyed the balance of practical effects and CGI.

I was introduced to Star Wars pretty early on in my life, since my parents are fans, and I got to see the original trilogy...probably before I should have, I was too young to really follow the plot or understand what was going on, or to care about the characters. Episode 1 came out when I was 11, and as those 'prequel' movies were intended by Lucas to appeal to my age bracket at the time, I liked it, and was too young to really notice the bad aspects of the prequels, so they did their intended job and that's when I actually became a fan of Star Wars (Yes, even Jar Jar. I was a little kid!) , and I could go back and enjoy the original movies with more appreciation when I was a bit older.
    "You don't have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body." - C.S. Lewis

Blog Entries

If Michael Bay directed it, it would have been two and a half hours of nearly nonstop space explosions, and my mother would have fallen asleep for the entire movie.

Strangely, space battles make her drowsy.
    "If you are worthy of his affection, a cat will be your friend but never your slave. He keeps his free will though he loves, and will not do for you what he thinks unreasonable; but if he once gives himself to you, it is with absolute confidence and fidelity of affection." -Theophile Gautier