Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Animals that you like but would suck at being

Blog Entries

Default Animals that you like but would suck at being

I can't be the only one.

I love birds of prey, and I'd love to shift as one, but usually I'm much too relaxed for that kind of vigilant decisiveness.

I love tigers, but as a human, I have arthritis and a bad back that might require surgery, so I can't see myself shifting to tiger and staying in that mindset for very long without needing to move. Tigers are brawny.

I love rats to death, and shifting to rat would be cool, but I'm really not that hyper-social, and the tiny body size is hard for me to comprehend.

I love foxes, but again, I can't comprehend being that small, or being a coyote's prey.

How about you?
    Last edited by Coyote Jones; January 10th, 2016 at 01:04 AM. Reason: stuff

Blog Entries

Hmm... anything with a metabolism that requires me to eat or find food every couple hours or their blood sugar will crash and they'll slip into a coma. They're usually pretty cute, but I'd die so fast, haha... I can't focus that consistently for that long, I don't have the drive.

On the other end of the spectrum, I can't imagine being anything very large either. Elephants, whales... The mind of something that huge has always baffled me, I just don't understand. And of course if I were an elephant or whale therian, I think I might get mentally exhausted with how much this human body needs to move and perform tiny little movements in an exact order every day, and rapidly move my eyeballs, and see in so much detail and react to things so quickly...

Also, squirrels. I'm really bad at taking chances, and I've seen way too many squirrels take flying leaps of faith from 15 feet in the air to land at the tip of a branch that bends dramatically under them.
    "You don't have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body." - C.S. Lewis

Fish or other water creatures. I like to swim, and I think whales are some of the most beautiful creatures but...I could not live in water.
    Reality is an illusion, the universe is hologram, buy gold, bye!

"The stylin', profilin', limousine riding, jet flying, kiss stealing, wheelin' n' dealin' son of a gun!"

Blog Entries

Seconding whales. I wonder what a whale therian would experience?

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudfoot View Post
    Also, squirrels. I'm really bad at taking chances, and I've seen way too many squirrels take flying leaps of faith from 15 feet in the air to land at the tip of a branch that bends dramatically under them.
    I'd love to meet a squirrel therian! I was actually telling my friend that unfortunately, I've never shifted into squirrel form in dreams, but it would be nifty.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Coyote Jones View Post
    I'd love to meet a squirrel therian! I was actually telling my friend that unfortunately, I've never shifted into squirrel form in dreams, but it would be nifty.
    Oh man I bet they'd be the kind of people that go rock-climbing and jumping out of airplanes every weekend, with an infectious high energy level and no fear of death (by falling anyway. Predators are a different story). I have a friend who is a pine marten furry (I think he's probably a therian actually, but I haven't talked to him much about therianthropy yet) who's kind of similar. Makes sense, since the pine marten's main prey source is squirrels.
    Driving in the car with that guy is terrifying, by the way.
    "You don't have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body." - C.S. Lewis

Blog Entries

Cheetahs and lions. I am not fast and you wouldn't catch me running. My prey would very likely escape or just laugh at me because I'm not formidable either.

Anything that climbs, really, but especially animals that live on steep slopes. I get really psyched about mountain goats, bighorn sheep, all the super-surefooted ungulates, but I'd slip or overbalance and fall to my death on Day 1 as any of those.

Some small birds I can almost picture myself as, and I get the warm-and-fuzzies just looking at them, like sparrows and chickadees, but I'm not that vocal and (especially in the case of house sparrows) not that good at large groups.

I can't really picture myself as any animal that needs a highly specific, very isolated/wild environment. Most of the animals that I find myself admiring in a, "maybe I could be this," way (as opposed to "this is so not me, but wow!" way) are pretty good at living in human-settled areas, like raccoons, turkeys, the aforementioned small birds, rabbits, and so on.

I'm definitely not a canid. "Not a woof," as my coyote partner will say sometimes. I'm surrounded by woof-people IRL and a couple cat people, and as much as I love dogs and am fascinated by eastern coyotes (one of my partners' theriotype) and love and live with cats, I'm definitely neither creature in any way.

Any strictly aquatic animal. I can swim, but eventually I'd get tired out. I rarely go swimming unless I find some rare opportunity of time.
    I also cannot see myself being a horse, or any large herbivore for that matter. And I can usually relate with animals that remain isolated or feral, because I always feel like an independent individual. or I try to be. So anything that really tires to be too social, like wolves, flocks of birds, schools of fish, I can never be. Though I do find Wolves to be inspiring like the next person, and Lions even more so.
    "See my shadow changing, Stretching up and over me,Soften this old armor, Hoping I can clear the way,By stepping through my shadow, Coming out the other side, Step into the shadow, Forty six and two are just ahead of me.”
    -46 & 2 by Tool

Blog Entries

Any sort of insect (can that be included in this?) or anything with hooves I would find hard to really be. Just because it would probably end in a lot of clumsy falls or uncomfortable feelings.
    The world will only change when fear is overcome

Blog Entries

Honestly, I'd really suck at being pretty much any wild animal, except possibly a herbivore that was large enough nothing bothered it (but even then, I'd have to watch out for humans). I have no idea how to hunt and I'm not good at evading predators.
    "If you are worthy of his affection, a cat will be your friend but never your slave. He keeps his free will though he loves, and will not do for you what he thinks unreasonable; but if he once gives himself to you, it is with absolute confidence and fidelity of affection." -Theophile Gautier