Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Animals that you like but would suck at being

Blog Entries

June bugs. I remember playing badminton in a friend's backyard. Thwack! There's a june bug in the racket, half of it on one side and half of it on the other. (We were both laughing hysterically.)

Poor moths have to be freaking out all the time. Speed of Animals.

"If you're six feet tall, 10 miles per hour probably doesn't feel very fast. But what if you were just six inches tall, like a squirrel? Relative to the size of your body 10 mph would be quite a bit faster. This site shows the top speeds of animals, and how fast they would be going if they were your size (ie, what their speed feels like to them)."

Southern dart moth: top speed 48.4 km/h. That moth's subjective speed: Feels like 2178 km/h. No wonder they navigate like they're on drugs.

I have too many animals I like but I don't think whether I like them or not matters. I'm pretty sure that I would suck at being any animal that isn't a coyote/coywolf. I already kinda tried that out in a therian sense and got thrown back harder to being a coyote each time no matter what I did. I couldn't be anything else except temporarily (like a cameo shift) because personal truth isn't easily kept down.
    Last edited by Berlin; June 17th, 2020 at 10:17 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Berlin View Post
    I have too many animals I like but I don't think whether I like them or not matters. I'm pretty sure that I would suck at being any animal that isn't a coyote/coywolf. I already kinda tried that out in a therian sense and got thrown back harder to being a coyote each time no matter what I did. I couldn't be anything else except temporarily (like a cameo shift) because personal truth isn't easily kept down.
    I feel this! I used to know a very gifted person who could take on different animal mindsets, from big cat to various primates to various wild canines to a crow stretching its wings, not in that specific order. I'm not nearly that talented. Coyote definitely seems to be the core, even if I ... cameo shift, I suppose, into various species that aren't always canine.

I've never really related to aquatic species, like Kisota, although there was a dream that had me in orca shape, because why not. I wish that these cameo shifts and/or dreams were realistic enough that I'd grok what it means to be that animal, but nah, I can't claim to know what it's like to be something I'm not.

Here's one that's probably an unpopular opinion: Wolves! They're so cool but I just can't picture myself as one at all. Maybe because they're so social? I'm an independent kitty myself. Not to mention, they howl! Don't get me wrong, I love a good meow, but goodness! Wolves are so noisy! I like quiet, personally.

Blog Entries

That brings up an important point, actually. Cats are social in their own ways. "Aloof feline" or "asocial feline" is a vast oversimplification that I feel somewhat responsible for employing in the past. Cats as entirely independent, even in terms of social relations, unlike those social canines. It's such lazy and inaccurate shorthand. I know better.

This thread is far from being scientifically accurate. It feels like I'm playing too much with anthropomorphism and zoomorphism without making it clear how much of it I actually believe. Without making it clear where I feel like I'm diverging too far into lazy shorthand and human extrapolation of animal actions. I get what I meant and what my intentions were, but still, I've gotta call myself out.

Wolves are social. I've frequently seen them described as gregarious. I personally hate that "gregarious" characterization, especially when applied to human extroversion as though a wild pack hierarchy is interchangeable with an outgoing, friendly personality in human beings. I need to be able to clearly articulate the differences, and I haven't even made an honest attempt at that essay. But I'm amused by the fact that comparisons between wolves and humans have to be one of the most common exercises in both critical thinking and wild imagination at the same time. Revealing, either way. I'll maybe come back to this in a different thread.

I wish I could sing in groups, but my voice isn't suited for singing. I love layered vocals. Multiple vocalists. An acceptable human substitute for howling? :P At night, I sometimes DO have to play the guessing game "Coyote Pack, Or Shrieking College Students?"
    Last edited by Coyote Jones; August 2nd, 2020 at 10:56 PM.

Blog Entries

I like some of the fast moving animals, like the roadrunner and hummingbirds. I'm actually really good at mimicking the sounds of a roadrunner. But I do everything in slow motion. So a slow body mixed with a fast animal is not a good combination.

The same goes for rabbits. I really love rabbits, but I don't think I could sprint off so quickly. Or live on grass. I need meat and a slower pace, so rabbits wouldn't work either.
    We share our physical lives with those in spirit. For life, like love, never dies.
    Love knows no limits, not even death.

Blog Entries

Oh god, I’d suck so bad at being anything big and heavy or anything terribly slow. I have only one setting and its GOGOGO.

Earlier this week, my boss saw me in the distance and, not recognizing me in my new field shirt, thought it was someone RIDING A BIKE. I was just walking...

The whole crew had a good laugh about it, though. I do have a reputation for walking fast and am (gratefully!) assigned the far-away tasks as a result, but I had no idea I walked THAT quickly. Or fluidly?? It remind’s me of a quote from Barry Lopez’s “Of Wolves and Men,” a line I always liked for its perfectly colorful description: “The wolf's body, from neck to hips, appear to float over the long, almost spindly legs and the flicker of wrists, a bicycling drift through the trees [...]”

That would be me if I was not atrophying. My anorexia has damn near made me wheelchair bound, but when I was young, there was no off switch. Walking was for those who do not get shit done. Expedition was my work ethic. I have poor spacial skills in any vehicle, so I would likely bump into stuff as well. Funny, because I am the biggest doge, but I make it work. Also, that book was my jam back in the day. My mother would call it my bible. I found that rather annoying, because I am NOT that trusting. Maybe then, but not now.
    "Nature forsaken...once admired by us all. Does it know we're scared...to move...to wake...scared to be...who we were?" -Eluveitie. "Home"

Blog Entries

Any bird. Specifically when it comes to flying I feel my landings would be pretty clunky. My active flying would be just as clunky lol.

I'd probably fail at being a horse despite being kith/hearted with them. To be clearer- I'd do fine as a "boss mare"....but if I was a ridden horse? My coordination sucks. *scratches dressage off the list*..My jumping skill is eh, and I'd just be stubborn as all f*ck.
    Timber wolf therian-- Zhuardarian changeling-- horse hearted
    ~Being kin is a journey of finding yourself, losing yourself, searching and doing it all over again.~

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kisota View Post
    I do have a reputation for walking fast and am (gratefully!) assigned the far-away tasks as a result, but I had no idea I walked THAT quickly. Or fluidly?? It remind’s me of a quote from Barry Lopez’s “Of Wolves and Men,” a line I always liked for its perfectly colorful description: “The wolf's body, from neck to hips, appear to float over the long, almost spindly legs and the flicker of wrists, a bicycling drift through the trees [...]”
    First, this phrasing is SO much better than my former best friend's depiction of wild canids as "stomachs on feet". (I came to learn that the two of us perceive the same animals in very different ways.)

Infinitely better than "stomachs on feet".

Elsewhere, I've seen wolves described as "warm, fluffy tornadoes with fangs". That one, I like. Edit: Found the reference.

I used to be all restless energy. On better days, thyroid-wise, I still can be. I'm definitely determined. I might go on a long hike with a friend when my feet are all blistered and very sore. It feels ableist of me, but I'm impatient with slow walkers, at least when the perceived reason for their slow walking is that they're chatting away.

But nah, for me, it's either manic energy or sloth. I'm a little less high-strung than I used to be. More comfortable relaxing. Even on days of imperfect hormone levels, though, my mind is always moving.
    Last edited by Coyote Jones; August 31st, 2020 at 10:06 PM.