Thread: Theriotype Playlists!

Blog Entries

Lightbulb Theriotype Playlists!

Or mixtapes, as we called them back in the day.

Okay, this is an idea I’ve had for a while. I know we already have some “therian music” threads, but this is going to be a little more in-depth! That means it’ll require a little more work, but hopefully it’ll be fun, too. Hopefully it'll be fun without being pointless - it could be an interesting way to learn about each other and how our animals seem to us.

The idea is to compile a playlist of a variety of songs that remind you of your theriotype or in some way capture part of the essence of the animal. Some tips: It’s okay to have a few that make obvious references to your animal, but try to have some that are not as clear-cut as “Hungry Like the Wolf!”

Concepts that hearken back to more archetype/anthropomorphized/spiritual ideas of your animal are allowed as well. Many of these ideals are not totally estranged from the flesh-and-blood creature, anyway.

ACTUAL RULES:

* Please link to each song!

* This is for PLAYLISTS / MIXTAPES, not individual songs! Make a list! Try to get at least 10 songs. Once a list is up, it’s cool to discuss individual songs or suggestions for lists or whatever.

* For each song, say something about what it means to you in terms of your animal.

* Try to give feedback – maybe it’s a little time-consuming to sit and listen to whole sets, but give each other’s songs a try and at least get the feel for the playlists if you’re going to post. And if you post your own list, you should definitely try to give a thorough listen to someone else’s list and respond so conversations will start (mine doesn’t count, I’m not requiring anyone to listen to mine, haha, it’s just to start the thread and give an example. Please feel free to post a list without bothering with mine first if you would like.) Talk back and forth; it'll be way more fun than having a thread of just posted songs where no one listens to what anyone else posts.

* BE NICE; people’s tastes will differ, as will their interpretation of animals. Some wolves might really think heavy metal is the wolfiest type of music, but maybe another thinks Celtic style stuff is. It’s okay to discuss different ideas, but no going “Nah, that’s not wolf / fox / shark/ whatever music at all.”

Okay, here’s mine as an example!

I really enjoy indie-folk music, so stuff with a sort of airy feel and a lot of acoustic guitar is likely to fit into animal-music for me. If I wanted to, I could probably find a coyote-type song by most of my favorite rock and indie groups, but I’ll try to narrow it down to stuff that has specifically stood out to me as sounding coyote-ish. I’m labeling this a coyote playlist, but substitute “coywolf” if necessary. :P I find wolfy songs a bit different and finding ones that scratch both the coyote feelings and wolf ones at the same time is a little more challenging.
    Coyote music to me is usually either indie-folk, with nature-inspired lyrics and folksy strumming, or rock-like with wild energy. I tried to fit a good mix into this list, but I’m certain I’m forgetting some of the best options. The songs are in an order that I think carries from one mood to another and keeps a good mix of songs rotating.

1) Coyotes – Modest Mouse. We’ll start with the obvious one. Coyotes in the lyrics AND title. A soft, song with longing and regret carried in a deeply environmental message. Brings to mind the adaptability of coyotes, their ability to be survivors even as landscapes are fragmented and degraded by human expansion. For a less literal Modest Mouse coyote impression, Float On has a delightful nonchalance about it that feels pretty yote-ish.

2) Land of Sea – Chris and Thomas. Another song that briefly mentions coyotes in the lyrics, this song has a more subtly coyote feel. This might be the closest thing there is to experiencing Badlands in song form. A mysterious feel that brings to mind hot sun, dry dusty ground, and all the stories the Earth has to tell. Tappy drums and playful springy guitar bring to mind both coyote and Coyote in harsh but magnificent environments.

3) R U Mine? – The Arctic Monkeys. Swirling intensity and firey coyote energy. A popular song, but so fervent and burning that I can’t help but associate it with love of the coyote sort. Another song I associate with Badlands, but more in the night-sky, peyote way, haha.

4) On Trees and Birds and Fire – I Am Oak. Similar in tone to the Chris and Thomas song. This one is less mysterious and more wistful, but with a coyote-trot banjo riff. Toothy grins and light-footed traveling put to audio. A serenade to nature and connection to plants, animals, and the forces of the wild, especially FIRE, of course. ;3 One of the songs that I found unmistakably coyote when I heard it.

5) White Knuckles – OK Go. Pure coyote spunk and mischief. Upbeat. Flirting with danger and carrying on through hardships with a sense of learning and appreciation. With lyrics like “You’ll never get that taste out of your mouth / you’ll never get the pawprint out of the henhouse now”, it’s hard not to think of a coyote or fox. But “’Cuz nothin’ ever doesn’t change, but nothin’ changes much” stands out as well.

6) Renegades – X Ambassadors. A rare song that’s on the radio that I actually enjoy! Caught my ear the first time I heard it, and its tone and lyrics were clearly coyote. This one so perfectly captures the wildness of coyotes and the rebellious nature of Coyote. Anti-tradition, anti-dogma, punk-alternative. “All hail the underdog!” A song that sounds the way my coyote-skull-and-crossbones shirt looks.

7) Heart in a Cage – The Strokes – One of my favorite songs by one of my favorite bands. Wildness stifled in concrete and societal expectations. The second verse has a couple lines that always stood out to me:
    I don’t want what you want / I don’t feel what you feel
    See, I’m stuck in a city / When I belong in a field

A song for the human coyote getting by.

8) The Death of Me – City and Colour. Coyote anxiety through tensely strummed guitar. Takes the frustration of the previous song to a more melancholy place. There’s just a tension in the sound of this one that feels so much like wired, pacing coyote stress. Themes of self-destruction work well on this playlist too.

8) Ghost Towns – Radical Face. Definitely one of the most coyote-ish songs on the list to continue with the somber mood. The dark, yearning, transient side of coyote. Trains, travel, haunting western sounds and sights… and the knowledge that you can never really go back.

9) Song of the Shepherd’s Dog – Iron and Wine. Okay, this song speaks of wolves, and is actually titled “wolves”, but there’s something in the beat that feels very coyote too. This one might qualify as a coywolf song. It brings to mind canids as a creeping threat, late fall when the trees are bare and brown, and the theme of escape.

10) Americana – The Offspring. Maybe not the best song choice, but something punky needed to be on here, and Americana has such a scoffing yet self-aware tone that it somewhat fits the bill. Dirty modern days, and the ability to scorn such things and yet still laugh and revel in them. A song for the urban coyote.

11) Warning – Green Day. Humor and a quizzical look at society and the idea of safety. What more can I say?

12) Janglin’ – Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeroes. A kind of silly sounding song, but the brightness and the actually kind of critical lyrics combine in a way that feels coyote.

13) Way Out There – Lord Huron. I decided to wrap up the mix with another wild, wistful indie-folk song. A lot of this artist’s songs might work here, but I think this one is probably the best. The lyrics are definitely coyote-like. Themes of mortality and our own insignificance, making our own meaning, being part of nature. The song begins like this:

“I'm a long way from the land that I left
    I've been running through life and cruising toward death
    If you think that I'm scared you've got me wrong
    If you don't know my name, you'll know it now
    I belong bodily to the earth
    I'm just wearing old bones from those that came first
    There are many more flames when mine is gone
    They will build me no shrines and sing me no songs”

I figured the powerful, wild sound of this song would make a good ending. The general feeling is also present in The Fleet Foxes' Mykonos, but that one has much less distinctly coyote feel.

Hope you guys enjoyed the playlist! Don’t feel like you have to be as detailed as I was. I am eager to see what else others have to share. :]
    Last edited by Kisota; January 27th, 2016 at 07:21 PM.

Blog Entries

*goes to rate this thread five stars*

*will edit post later and/or post again*

If only my music were on this side of the partition (Ubuntu), or on an external drive. I lost my collection of 70,000 mp3s, many of them rare, when someone hacked my computer in 2008. I'm starting up my collection again, but it's on Windows, and I'm having problems logging into Werelist from Windows.

Definitely one of the most coyote-ish songs on the list to continue with the somber mood. The dark, yearning, transient side of coyote. Trains, travel, haunting western sounds and sights… and the knowledge that you can never really go back.

You speak my language, fellow coyote/coywolf.

I used to go by "Permanent Transient". If only I could change my legal name to that...

Blog Entries

OMG I was going to make a thread very similar to this I'm mildly freaked out right now. I have quite a huge library of "ape songs" or general therian feels songs I've compiled since about 2009. I shall sift through to find the best ones. Some are about bonobos but some remind me of other species. Also prepare for me to put my cheesy head on, I get real emotive. I am trying to apply quality control but forgive me if I end up posting a bazillion songs.

Capparrezza - Bonobo Power
    Oomph - Bonobo
    Both of these songs are actually about bonobos, the Capparrezza song I've been listening to for years, I really like the music itself it's all energetic and funky. Bonobo Power is Italian and Bonobo is German. I looked up the English translations recently and just as suspected, the lyrics are all preachy nonsense about bonobos just being some peaceful utopia etc etc. Even going as far as to dissmiss authority altogether which is utter bollocks. But I still really like these songs as I find them very uplifting and they always put me in a good mood. Quite motivating too in an odd way, like how workout music is motivating.
    Quote from Oomph - bonobo
    I've often thought about
    How we could perhaps improve the world
    But then I came to the conclusion
    Stick your finger in your ass and live like a bonobo

Lady Gaga - G.U.Y This song for me is basically the bonobo anthem. The lyrics remind me of the way the females manipulate the males with sex to dominate them.
    Touch me touch me
    (Mount your goddess)
    Touch me touch me
    (A summer moon comes into full phase)
    Get on top of me
    (And Mars' warm spirit rams into the atmosphere)
    Touch me touch me, don't be shy
    I'm in charge like a G.U.Y.
    I'll lay down, face up this time
    Under you, like a G.U.Y.

Phil Collins - Strangers Like Me This was my jam a few years ago, I always get such warm feels from it. It's from the Tarzan soundtrack and is pretty much on the money when it comes to having an ape theriotype and kithtype.
    Every gesture, every move that she makes
    Makes me feel like never before
    Why do I have
    This growing need to be beside her

Phil Colins - Two Worlds Another Tarzan song that makes me feel similar, really wistful and stuff.
    Beneath the shelter of the trees
    Only love can enter here

Caravan Palace - Lone Digger There's just something about apes and upbeat swing that are just made for eachother. All fun and silly. Chimpy mischief music.

Nick Mulvey - Cucurucu Not so much the lyrics with this one, but the gently playful rythm and nostalgic tone of the vocials and strings makes me think of small bonobo children being held and played with by their mothers. In particular I often picture Winton from the zoo. It gives me mixed emotions.
    Till the melodies of childish days,
    are upon, upon me
    And they take me back, back down the river

Grimes - Go This is a bit a "self pity" one, the lyrics encapsulate what I feel if I spend too long with real bonobos. And something about the tone or something of of the music enhance that emotion.
    Happy scenes, a stupid dream when I dream of you
    They don't stay, it might all be delusion but I couldn't say

Deep Forest - Deep Forest This is another of "my jams", it has no English lyrics apart from the spoken intro. The music itself has a tribal sounding beat which is both friendly and energetic yet calming. Like lounging around in the misty hot afternoon in the jungle. The child's voice conjurs up images of young chimpanzees or bonobos all playing together.
    Somewhere, deep in the jungle
    Are living some little men and women
    I really like the spoken intro it just really sets the scene

Chillstep Sights of Asia Mix
    This particular mix of tracks reminds me a lot of orangutans, my kithtype. It's very oriental sounding and there is this perfect blend of chilled and epic, this really majestic vibe like some wise old male orangutan whose just watching over his kingdom like. Some pieces of music remind me of females and young, got this slow gracefulness about it, like orangutans' arms.

Barenaked Ladies - Another Postcard This is a novelty song about someone getting nothing but chimp cards in the post from some anonymous source. This was a favourite of mine a few years ago when I was sick of apes being in my head all the time, I feel this song, man. :V

Enigma - Principles of Lust This one shamelessly plays into the whole randy bonobo stereotype for me but regardless I get mega kinfeels from it. Especially the line "do what you want, do it until you find love". And it's just an epically cheesy new age song and that for some reason usually does it for me.

As stereotypical as it is, I tend to get kinfeels from songs with innuendous lyrics or erotic sounds haha, such as Bloodhound Gang - Untiss untiss untiss

Papa Wemba - Mi Amor The Congolese Rumba genre is guaranteed to make me feel really bonobo-ey, it does of course hail from the same part of the world as bonobos come from. I tend to get false memories/nostalgia from hearing it, female voices in particular. I've straight up shifted to this: Papa Wemba - Yolele
    More rumba titles:
    Madillu System - Ya Jean
    Cindy le Coeur ft Koffi Olomade - Moulange
    Cindu le Coeur ft Koffi Olomade - Homelie

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - Red Right Hand This song makes me think of common chimpanzees, not all of the lyrics as they are obviously about a human what with mentions of money and TV and stuff. But some of the themes and tone to the story ring true to the strict male heirarchy, and I picture this large puffed up socially savvy yet mean alpha male chimp strutting about. The music and vocals itself are kinda dark yet has the whole thing has this odd sex appeal to it.
    You're one microscopic cog
    in his catastrophic plan
    Designed and directed by
    his red right hand

And last but not least! Miriam Makeba - Malaika
    One of the bonobos at the zoo is called Malaika so this always makes me think of her, makes me go all warm and fuzzy.
    Last edited by Lopori; January 30th, 2016 at 02:32 PM.

Blog Entries

I've been procrastinating about this thread because while it's fun, it's also a lot of introspective work. Thank you for making me think.

Here's my response to Kisota's songs, followed by my own list.

Lopori, I'll get to you next! You've already caught my interest with Nick Cave.

Coyotes – Modest Mouse - We’ll start with the obvious one. Coyotes in the lyrics AND title. A soft, song with longing and regret carried in a deeply environmental message. Brings to mind the adaptability of coyotes, their ability to be survivors even as landscapes are fragmented and degraded by human expansion. For a less literal Modest Mouse coyote impression, Float On has a delightful nonchalance about it that feels pretty yote-ish. Jaunty, upbeat, almost carnivalesque feel. In the video, the coyote is attentive, responding to a bird taking off outside the window, which reminds me of the fact I read in one of my coyote books that coyotes will pay attention where dogs won't, such as when a bird is chirping above.

Land of Sea– Chris and Thomas Another song that briefly mentions coyotes in the lyrics, this song has a more subtly coyote feel. This might be the closest thing there is to experiencing Badlands in song form. A mysterious feel that brings to mind hot sun, dry dusty ground, and all the stories the Earth has to tell. Tappy drums and playful springy guitar bring to mind both coyote and Coyote in harsh but magnificent environments. Will have to look into this band. Not sure what to make of the song, but it does seem to fit its description.

R U Mine? – The Arctic Monkeys. Swirling intensity and firey coyote energy. A popular song, but so fervent and burning that I can’t help but associate it with love of the coyote sort. Another song I associate with Badlands, but more in the night-sky, peyote way, haha. Orange-red synaesthetically. Not every song I listen to evokes synaesthesia, so that's pretty cool. Also, Kiso, your descriptions alone make me feel very much at home, so thank you!

On Trees and Birds and Fire – I Am Oak. Similar in tone to the Chris and Thomas song. This one is less mysterious and more wistful, but with a coyote-trot banjo riff. Toothy grins and light-footed traveling put to audio. A serenade to nature and connection to plants, animals, and the forces of the wild, especially FIRE, of course. ;3 One of the songs that I found unmistakably coyote when I heard it. Reminds me of wilderness camps (my first thought), like the Outwards Bound courses I longed to join as a kid, ESPECIALLY because other kids complained about how hard it was to hike forever and to climb big hills and to live by your own wits in the woods for a few days. I couldn't do all of that nowadays now that disability has set in, but I was definitely an active animal, and this song brings it back.

White Knuckles – OK Go. Pure coyote spunk and mischief. Upbeat. Flirting with danger and carrying on through hardships with a sense of learning and appreciation. With lyrics like “You’ll never get that taste out of your mouth / you’ll never get the pawprint out of the henhouse now”, it’s hard not to think of a coyote or fox. But “’Cuz nothin’ ever doesn’t change, but nothin’ changes much” stands out as well. Yep. (That means I like it and it resonates with me.)

Renegades – X Ambassadors. A rare song that’s on the radio that I actually enjoy! Caught my ear the first time I heard it, and its tone and lyrics were clearly coyote. This one so perfectly captures the wildness of coyotes and the rebellious nature of Coyote. Anti-tradition, anti-dogma, punk-alternative. “All hail the underdog!” A song that sounds the way my coyote-skull-and-crossbones shirt looks. Yep. All hail the underdogs / all hail the outlaws. As I said long ago on my private blog, coyotes are punk rock. How can they not be? They live in an environment where the weather alone wants them dead, before human beings even enter the picture.

Heart in a Cage – The Strokes – One of my favorite songs by one of my favorite bands. Wildness stifled in concrete and societal expectations. The second verse has a couple lines that always stood out to me:

I don’t want what you want / I don’t feel what you feel
    See, I’m stuck in a city / When I belong in a field Instant favourite. A++, would listen again. (I am the origin of that A++ meme. How tacky of me to use it, then. Oh well. What I begot I can destroy.)

The Death of Me. Coyote anxiety through tensely strummed guitar. Takes the frustration of the previous song to a more melancholy place. There’s just a tension in the sound of this one that feels so much like wired, pacing coyote stress. Themes of self-destruction work well on this playlist too. This song reminds me of Firewater, thematically. That tense feeling makes me want to get outside and dash across the fields and into the woods.

Ghost Towns– Radical Face.Definitely one of the most coyote-ish songs on the list to continue with the somber mood. The dark, yearning, transient side of coyote. Trains, travel, haunting western sounds and sights… and the knowledge that you can never really go back. You speak my soul. This song speaks my soul. "There's no coming home, there's no coming home." My life soundtrack has a new theme song. Coyotes, like lone human beings, those on the periphery of society, accept so much loss that more stable beings could never deal with. It might break them. There's a saying: "The earth abides." Likewise, the coyote abides.

Song of the Shepherd’s Dog – Iron and Wine. Okay, this song speaks of wolves, and is actually titled “wolves”, but there’s something in the beat that feels very coyote too. This one might qualify as a coywolf song. It brings to mind canids as a creeping threat, late fall when the trees are bare and brown, and the theme of escape. The lyrics remind me of Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds. They also remind me of the incalculable number of cultural allusions to the wolf that I've read in my own petty lifetime. The rural sound is definitely coyotelike. Coywolf-like, I agree.

Americana – The Offspring. Maybe not the best song choice, but something punky needed to be on here, and Americana has such a scoffing yet self-aware tone that it somewhat fits the bill. Dirty modern days, and the ability to scorn such things and yet still laugh and revel in them. A song for the urban coyote.

I loved these guys. Was it really 1998? I feel so old. I'm listening to "Get A Job", the song before the title track. Being an adolescent again is coyote-ish. I think that being in tune with today's youth is also coyote-ish, like being the cool but weird and progressive relative who is always relevant. Kids scare me, though. Anyway. Onto the song.

"I'm a product of my environment/Don't blame me, I just work here." Touches upon some old anarcho-punk themes, and anti-capitalist themes more generally. All very coyote-like. It reminds me of how certain renegades at art festivals, especially born into the poverty class, can be self-aware and hypercritical of their culture, and they remind me of human coyotes, whether or not they have an animal identity. Holy, look at me here. Am I writing a synopsis for a 'zine? Am I getting paid? No, you're wasting people's time, CJ. No, so shut up, CJ. I'll shut up.

Warning – Green Day. Humor and a quizzical look at society and the idea of safety. What more can I say? Reminds me of the perils of being raised in suburbia. I think the song could be sharper, though, more directed and more critical. But that's a momentary whim that might not count for much. My fave songs are never, ever critical or pointed enough by my standards. I love the tornado sirens in the background.

– Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeroes. A kind of silly sounding song, but the brightness and the actually kind of critical lyrics combine in a way that feels coyote. Too cheery for me, but I hear what you mean.

I decided to wrap up the mix with another wild, wistful indie-folk song. A lot of this artist’s songs might work here, but I think this one is probably the best. The lyrics are definitely coyote-like. Themes of mortality and our own insignificance, making our own meaning, being part of nature. The song begins like this:

I'm a long way from the land that I left
    I've been running through life and cruising toward death
    If you think that I'm scared you've got me wrong
    If you don't know my name, you'll know it now
    I belong bodily to the earth
    I'm just wearing old bones from those that came first
    There are many more flames when mine is gone
    They will build me no shrines and sing me no songs” I figured the powerful, wild sound of this song would make a good ending. The general feeling is also present in The Fleet Foxes', but that one has much less distinctly coyote feel.

This hits my heart hard. It's the story of long-gone wild ancestors. No doubt, this song will inspire many dreams and short stories and daydreams.

Who would have thought that animal-people could find traces of ourselves and tentative blueprints for our lives in the form of song?

My contributions:

BoDeans – You Don’t Get Much
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pthc_Nb94M
    "The radio sings blues for free...." I remember travelling into the middle of nowhere in the countryside with this song stuck in my head. Open skies, long roads, countryside, lamenting, and paradoxical faith even after loss. "You don't get much without giving." With this song in my head, I fell asleep on a patch of wildflowers past the pet cemetery, past my abandoned barn (razed in 2010), all to escape my abusive parents. A song in my heart can carry me a long way.

Tom Waits – Hold On
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPnOEiehONQ
    Anything Tom Waits has always felt coyotelike to me.

Well, you build it up, you wreck it down
    You burn your mansion to the ground
    When there's nothing left to keep you here, when
    You're falling behind in this
    Big blue world

Coyote Grace – Guy Named Joe
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzvCs7_xn6c
    A strummy rural story. I always relate to outsider stories of rural folks, stories of outlaws and schemers and prisoners. More of the coyote's rebel nature.

Who am I to change my name?
    Some things will always stay the same
    There really ain’t no one to blame
    Can’t expect nobody to live in that pain
    But I know you miss me so
    I said goodbye to everyone I know
    And one morning I awoke
    And I was this guy named Joe

Firewater – I Am The Rain
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IruZFtJIWLU
    Firewater is pure Coyote. Firewater helped me to learn to identify as coyote, not as wolf. Self-aware self-deprecation. The next song is even better.

Firewater – Bourbon and Division
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goWknQP0-Wo
    This is pure Coyote distilled into the tastiest whiskey.

So you light a dog-end smoke
    And you're laughing as you choke
    And you give the wheel of fortune one more spin.

Obligatory counterculture lyrics with a jab at the predominant religion, Christianity:

Friday was the crucifixion
    Saturday, cremation under glass
    The resurrection was on Sunday
    No, correction, make it Monday
    'Cause Monday's when they come and take the trash.

The Walkabouts – Sweet Revenge
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R64c50heHjQ
    And from these bitterroots
    You know I made a potent shine
    One-half kerosene
    One-half justice all gone blind

First I'll get even
    And then I'll make you proud
    Revenge is sweeter
    When you can laugh out loud

Ugly Kid Joe - Cat's In The Cradle
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B32yjbCSVpU
    I don't know what it is with this song. Something about the tune reminds me of an old folksong. He could be singing about IKEA furniture and I'd still adore it. As it was, I was just a kid when this song was popular, so it reminds me of some of the more benign parts of my childhood. It's disguised as upbeat, but it's really a melancholy song. Even then, it manages to be pragmatic to the point of being blase about the depressing subject matter. Like "people will be people, look at us, such fools".

This song is made, I think, for every kid who grew up without a father, myself included. Family SHOULD be the most important thing in the world. For some of us, family ain't blood and blood ain't family. We grow up and we hurt and we make our own families. And with luck and persistence, we learn to do better than our predecessors.

The Lords of the New Church – Portobello
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LD2HxlOIE6o
    Punk rock. Angry, determined, restless.

Seething with sedition
    Annointed with wisdom
    The streets of Portobello's extremes

If voting could change things they'd make it illegal
    Truth is the sword of us all

Insane are the normal
    Musicians and outlaws
    The artists and rastas and dreams

Faith & the Muse – Sredni Vashtar
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiSY6lKPY-o
    Fiery animal energy. Not specific to Coyote, but animalistic and movement-oriented.

Time to show some sharper teeth
    Time to grow a thicker skin
    Time to drop the seventh veil and
    Let some madness wander in

This is not a darker age
    Just the turning of the wheel
    I am here to reassure
    We never really had control

Mad Caddies – Coyote
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXYipPdfDoI
    What the heck is going on? Yep.

Born on the wrong side of opportunity
    Bled from my hands and my heart for this country
    But I've lost all hope and I can't stay
    'Cause in my dreams I swear she says my name

She's calling out, her voice rings so proud
    She's calling out, entranced by the sound

I take one last walk down to the shore
    Mi vista siena siempre mi amor
    'Cause come tomorrow, don't know where I'll be
    I'll take my chances with the coyote

The Walkabouts – The Dustlands
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-NpUXtuzc8
    Music from the wasteland itself, the wisdom of a landscape now designated as "useless" and seen as pure emptiness. People who have never loved the desert.
    "And if you ask me who I am, I'll tell you where I've been"

The Walkabouts – Every River Will Burn
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmjHAfIW8XI
    "They" come from the red desert, which is an unforgiving landscape.
    The guitars strum with a blissful and defiant and gentle finality, an awareness of the end of a long cycle. Dry desert land in all of its awe-inspiring beauty and lethality and its inevitable end at the hands of human developers. The futility of even showing emotion. "Save it for the afterlife." These people have learned how to shapeshift, how to communicate with strangers of every background, what to say and what not to say. And this song seems to hail the end of a cherished era and of beloved, sacred landscapes. The theme of death and rebirth shows up:

Walls of this city red
    Will go at any cost
    I have started out
    To find what we have lost
    I have started out

The Lords of the New Church – World Without End
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_-2FuQ9S6k
    Indigenous-flavoured punk rock. Rare to hear, and a fitting conclusion, I think, to a musical tribute of an animal that is indigenous to North America and that has accumulated thousands of years of sacred history, both creation myths and tribal stories, with the human cultures who lived with this tricky and intelligent predator.

Years of the long journey of the ancient ones
    The countdown's in reverse
    We're back where we come from
    Dying in our own land
    Living in our new land
    The circle comes complete
    A world without end
    Last edited by Coyote Jones; April 10th, 2016 at 10:14 PM. Reason: perfectionism will never pay off

Blog Entries

This thread took me a lot longer to listen through than I thought it would. There are so many songs that it all kind of got discombobulated along the way, so I'll just go though and comment on your playlists as a whole. Although, I might go back and edit this to comment on individual songs later.

@Kisota- I'm definitely picking up the canine vibe from the songs you posted. I can pick out notes of rebellion and travel from a lot of the songs as well. A lot of the singers' voices remind me of the yips and yowls that I've heard coyotes make. I'm going to have to look into Modest Mouse and Arctic Monkeys, and I recognize the X Ambassadors song from some Jeep commercials they put out earlier this year/ late last year.

@Lopori- Very sexy, I like it. Honestly, I don't know much about bonobos, so I'm not sure if I can pick out any sort of bonobo "vibe" from your list. However, I got something of a light, carefree feeling from the songs I could listen to (a couple of the videos you linked to had been taken down). Seriousness came in too at points, and I liked that you included music from where bonobos are native to. I could also pick out themes of rebellion in the German and Italian songs, even if I don't speak either language. You also made me want to watch Tarzan again. I haven't seen that movie in years.

@Coyote Jones- I'm picking up canine vibes from the songs in your list as well. In some of the songs on your playlist, I could almost feel the sand as see the desert as I listened to them. I get the feeling that a mixture of rebellion and melancholy is a trademark of the coyote. Travel and displacement are pretty strong themes in your list as well. I think you captured the coyote's toughness and "devil may care" attitude out through this list really well, and Guy Named Joe made me thing of reincarnation for some reason.

That's not the best feedback I can muster, but it'll have to do for now. Onto my list, I guess. I'm not entirely sure that a lot of these are quite "dog songs", but they're favorites that often evoke some sort of shift for me.

My music tastes can pretty much be summed up by calling it "guys with high voices, long hair, and electric guitars". Most of what I listen to hails from the popular rock of the late 70's and mid-80's. The era of big guitar pieces and big hair. It was almost hard for me to pick out songs that actually made me think of being canine, instead of songs that just caught my attention because they're particularly heavy or bold-sounding. I also didn't realize how many songs I have on my mp3 player that are purely about sex, but that's besides the point...

Without further ado, my playlist: (Band- Song Title)

1.Boston- Foreplay/ Long Time: This one seems to me to be about returning home, or catching up with loved ones after having been gone for months or years. It's about loyalty, that silly dog cliche. It also sounds like the music itself is running or traveling somehow. It's pretty fast-paced once you get past the opening section.

2.Led Zeppelin- Immigrant Song: A Zeppelin hit. This one is definitely about travel, and the line 'peace and trust can win the day, despite of all your losin' screams dog to me. Dogs, at least when in good homes, are very trusting creatures and very forgiving too. This song's also got something of a heaviness to it that reminds me of a large predator.

3.Dio- Wild One: Ronnie James Dio's voice is just cool to me. It's kind of bark-y in a way. It makes me think of escaping an urban area, or keeping theiranthropy a secret. It's got the traveling feeling and heaviness that a lot of songs in this list do/ will have. It's also a little angry and frustrated in tone, which reminds me of a dog who wants nothing more than to get out and let off some steam.

4.Electric Light Orchestra- Do Ya: Do ya, do ya want my love? That's a question a dog would ask. It's a song about love and fascination. It's light, happy, and busy, which seems to be the essence of a lot of dogs' personalities, especially working dogs. It's also soft and gentle in parts.

5.Journey- Wheel in the Sky: Another one of those 'travel and loyalty' numbers. Apparently in my mind dogs are all about getting back to where they belong, or maybe about getting lost. It almost evokes a sense of worry about being lost and getting too far away from home. On the other hand, it also seems to be about being relentless, pressing on, doggedness, if you will.

6.Motley Crue- On with the Show: This one's actually about the band's bassist, Frank Feranna (Nikki Sixx) changing his name. It's a little harder to explain in terms of canine-ness, but it does have that theme of pressing on. It's somewhat playful in tone too.

7.Rush- Working Man: A Rush hit. I identify with a herding breed, so a song about working is fitting. It's also about being busy constantly and feeling like there's something better you could be doing with your time. I'm not sure dogs are quite concerned with a work-life balance, but they can be busy little souls. Geddy Lee's voice also has something of a bark-y quality to it.

8.Steve Miller Band- The Joker: This song is probably more in the vein of coyote than it is dog, but I like the relaxed feeling of it. It's also a love song that says "I'm not perfect, but I love you, and I'm here". I think that's a dog-like kind of love; a love that operates on comfort and honesty.

9.Whitesnake- Judgement Day: An apocalyptic-sounding number about love, loyalty, and protection. It's got that same heavy, traveling sound that a lot of the other songs I've listed have, and bark-y vocals. David Coverdale (the lead singer) also sounds quite a bit like Robert Plant of Led Zeppelin.

10.Billy Squier- Everybody Wants You: Again with the songs that sound like running... Dogs are also the pet that everyone seems to want if they don't already have one. It's a song about fame. This is another one of those songs that's hard to connect to being canine, but it came to mind when I thought about picking songs for this list.

That's the main list. Here are a few more I considered, but decided they didn't make the cut (will link to later) (titles are separated by commas):

AC/DC- Thunderstruck, Back in Black, For Those About to Rock

Aerosmith- Old Salty, Seasons of Wither

Ozzy Osbourne- I Don't Know

Credence Clearwater Revival- Bad Moon Rising

Manfred Mann's Earth Band- Runner

Black Sabbath- Computer God, Iron Man

Deadeye Dick- New Age Girl

Jet- Cold Hard Bitch
    Last edited by Integral; April 10th, 2016 at 02:26 AM. Reason: Fixed a couple links I fudged.

Blog Entries
    Whoa, Integral. That's a ton of music to listen to. I don't know how you managed! Thanks for listening :-D. You nailed the kind of atmosphere I was aiming for. It's cool to get feedback on something that is so personal and tied to my own worldview.

My thoughts:

1.Boston- Foreplay/ Long Time: This one seems to me to be about returning home, or catching up with loved ones after having been gone for months or years. It's about loyalty, that silly dog cliche. It also sounds like the music itself is running or traveling somehow. It's pretty fast-paced once you get past the opening section.

This part resonates with me:

And time doesn't wait for me, it keeps on rollin'
    Sail on, on a distant highway
    I've got to keep on chasin' a dream
    I've gotta be on my way

Coming home:

It's been such a long time. It's been such a long time.

2.Led Zeppelin- Immigrant Song: A Zeppelin hit. This one is definitely about travel, and the line 'peace and trust can win the day, despite of all your losin' screams dog to me. Dogs, at least when in good homes, are very trusting creatures and very forgiving too. This song's also got something of a heaviness to it that reminds me of a large predator. Reminds me of wiry or muscular, shaggy-haired Vikings. It sounds determined and celebratory, but ends on a peaceful note. Like a pack of wild dogs on the periphery of society reclaiming their territory. (The pitch and tone of his voice adds to this image.)

3.Dio- Wild One: Ronnie James Dio's voice is just cool to me. It's kind of bark-y in a way. The shouting, the clipped pace, I see what you mean. It makes me think of escaping an urban area, or keeping theiranthropy a secret. It's got the traveling feeling and heaviness that a lot of songs in this list do/ will have. It's also a little angry and frustrated in tone, which reminds me of a dog who wants nothing more than to get out and let off some steam. I can just see an energetic dog pacing the halls or the yard.

4.Electric Light Orchestra- Do Ya: Do ya, do ya want my love? That's a question a dog would ask. It's a song about love and fascination. It's light, happy, and busy, which seems to be the essence of a lot of dogs' personalities, especially working dogs. It's also soft and gentle in parts. More upbeat and straightforward than I'm used to, but I can understand the appeal.

5.Journey- Wheel in the Sky: Another one of those 'travel and loyalty' numbers. Apparently in my mind dogs are all about getting back to where they belong, or maybe about getting lost. It almost evokes a sense of worry about being lost and getting too far away from home. On the other hand, it also seems to be about being relentless, pressing on, doggedness, if you will. How did you find a song that feels so coyotelike? It's somewhere between melancholy and upbeat, with a country twang and the imagery of open roads. (I was picturing padding along roads and fields as a wandering coyote, but driving a car works as well, I suppose.)

Also coyotelike:

I'm stranded in the sleet and rain
    Don't think I'm ever gonna make it home again

6.Motley Crue- On with the Show: This one's actually about the band's bassist, Frank Feranna (Nikki Sixx) changing his name. It's a little harder to explain in terms of canine-ness, but it does have that theme of pressing on. It's somewhat playful in tone too. Needs to be darker and melancholic, with a twisted carnivalesque sound. ;-)

7.Rush- Working Man: A Rush hit. I identify with a herding breed, so a song about working is fitting. It's also about being busy constantly and feeling like there's something better you could be doing with your time. I'm not sure dogs are quite concerned with a work-life balance, but they can be busy little souls. Geddy Lee's voice also has something of a bark-y quality to it. I hear what you mean.

8.Steve Miller Band- The Joker: This song is probably more in the vein of coyote than it is dog, but I like the relaxed feeling of it. It's also a love song that says "I'm not perfect, but I love you, and I'm here". I think that's a dog-like kind of love; a love that operates on comfort and honesty. Again, I hear what you mean. It's very... open and straightforward in its affection.

9.Whitesnake- Judgement Day: An apocalyptic-sounding number about love, loyalty, and protection. It's got that same heavy, traveling sound that a lot of the other songs I've listed have, and bark-y vocals. David Coverdale (the lead singer) also sounds quite a bit like Robert Plant of Led Zeppelin. I do like the apocalyptic tone. I'm slightly amused by the fact that the apocalyptic feel is what appeals to me, and not the lyrics about loyalty and togetherness. Which isn't to say that coyotes and coyote-folk aren't loving or loyal to mates, it's just... not a theme I tend to notice or appreciate over other common themes in my music.

10.Billy Squier- Everybody Wants You: Again with the songs that sound like running... Dogs are also the pet that everyone seems to want if they don't already have one. It's a song about fame. This is another one of those songs that's hard to connect to being canine, but it came to mind when I thought about picking songs for this list. You can't escape the hours, you lose track of the days” sounds canine to me. YouTube went to “My Kind of Lover” after this song, which definitely sounds canine.

Quote Originally Posted by Integral
    Bad Moon Rising
    Yes!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Coyote Jones View Post
    Whoa, Integral. That's a ton of music to listen to. I don't know how you managed! Thanks for listening :-D. You nailed the kind of atmosphere I was aiming for. It's cool to get feedback on something that is so personal and tied to my own worldview.
    How'd I do it? I like music, and it's interesting to find out what other people like to listen to. I think the type of music people like says a lot about their personality. I'm glad I managed to pick up on what you were going for in your playlist.

My thoughts:

1.Boston- Foreplay/ Long Time:
    This part resonates with me:

And time doesn't wait for me, it keeps on rollin'
    Sail on, on a distant highway
    I've got to keep on chasin' a dream
    I've gotta be on my way

Coming home:

It's been such a long time. It's been such a long time.
    Yep. The theme of being suck away from home and returning home usually strikes a canine chord for me when it's present in a song.

2.Led Zeppelin- Immigrant Song: Reminds me of wiry or muscular, shaggy-haired Vikings. It sounds determined and celebratory, but ends on a peaceful note. Like a pack of wild dogs on the periphery of society reclaiming their territory. (The pitch and tone of his voice adds to this image.)
    Agreed. I can see canine-ness in this song even more now that you mentioned that.

3.Dio- Wild One: The shouting, the clipped pace, I see what you mean. I can just see an energetic dog pacing the halls or the yard.
    Yep. Usually, when I pull this one up on my mp3 player, or pop the album into the CD player in my car, I've got to make sure I don't wind up running or speeding.

4.Electric Light Orchestra- Do Ya: More upbeat and straightforward than I'm used to, but I can understand the appeal.
    Dog, in my expeince, is generally upbeat and straightforward. Although, I can also see the appeal of a song that plays a little more hard to get than this one does.

5.Journey- Wheel in the Sky: How did you find a song that feels so coyotelike? It's somewhere between melancholy and upbeat, with a country twang and the imagery of open roads. (I was picturing padding along roads and fields as a wandering coyote, but driving a car works as well, I suppose.)

Also coyotelike:

I'm stranded in the sleet and rain
    Don't think I'm ever gonna make it home again
    This is actually one of Journey's more popular songs, and one of my favorite Journey songs. I found it on a 'greatest hits' album in my parents' basement, and it grabbed my attention when I listened to it the first time around. I can see what you mean about it being coyote-like, it really plays on an old west type sound with melancholy lyrics.

6.Motley Crue- On with the Show: Needs to be darker and melancholic, with a twisted carnivalesque sound. ;-)
    I can see where that would make it more canine-sounding. I think you'd like the stuff Motley Crue did with John Corabi in the late 90's. It's a lot more gritty and alternative. Vince Neil's (the singer in that recording) voice, I think, restricted how dark they could go with the guitar pieces. A high tenor is hard to get to go very well with a deep, growling lead guitar piece, unless you're Ozzy Osbourne and Toni Iomi.

7.Rush- Working Man: I hear what you mean.
    Cool beans. In retrospect, this song is probably better suited to my 'didn't make the cut' list. I was really debating about wether or not to put Bad Moon Rising on this list. I would've fit well in this slot.

8.Steve Miller Band- The Joker: Again, I hear what you mean. It's very... open and straightforward in its affection.
    It's very much a weird old hippie song. Not sure how into 'free love' dogs are, but it popped into my head when I was snooping though my mp3 player to make the list. I think it's more of a favorite song than a "dog song".

9.Whitesnake- Judgement Day: I do like the apocalyptic tone. I'm slightly amused by the fact that the apocalyptic feel is what appeals to me, and not the lyrics about loyalty and togetherness. Which isn't to say that coyotes and coyote-folk aren't loving or loyal to mates, it's just... not a theme I tend to notice or appreciate over other common themes in my music.
    Honestly, I think the sound of it is why it sticks out to me. It sounds big, loud, and almost biblical. It sounds 'badass' to put it in even more simple terms. Although, the lyrics themselves are what strikes the "dog" chord for me. Then again, my music library is also chock full of sappy love songs and songs with very thinly veiled sexual inuendo, so it might just be a taste thing.

10.Billy Squier- Everybody Wants You: You can't escape the hours, you lose track of the days” sounds canine to me. YouTube went to “My Kind of Lover” after this song, which definitely sounds canine.
    My Kind of Lover is a good one too. I'm not a huge Billy Squier fan, but those two tracks stick out for me. For this one, I think the instrumentals were really what made it feel "doggy" to me, since the lyrics are about a particularly human concept.

And, for your listening pleasure: Creedence Clearwater Revival- Bad Moon Rising.
    Last edited by Integral; April 11th, 2016 at 12:18 AM. Reason: Had to get rid of a stray "yes".

Blog Entries

Is there a thread like this, but open to non-therian interpretations of music? Because I have a HUGE list, but none of them are particularly animal, I just like them. I have my reasons, but they're not animal related. They're hardly even symbolic. I've got a good habit of finding symbolism that isn't there, so I don't really want to try it.

*going to revise*
    Last edited by Berlin; July 19th, 2016 at 08:51 AM.
    "Walking sideways through them gutters
    And you realize that the floor sticks to your feet like history
    Well, don't you look at me like life don't hold you anymore mystery" - Modest Mouse