Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Who still uses old media/technology?

Quote Originally Posted by RunningRed View Post
    Record player or grammaphone?

My roommate used to have a player piano and still has several of the rolls.
    For those who don't know, they're basically music encoded, like a punch card, on a long sheet that wraps around a spindle.
    BOTH!! I like 1900s tech not just 1980s and 90s Tech.

I use this ancient, slow moving technology similar to old BBS dial-ins, where you leave messages in a conversation and hope that others read it and maybe have some input worth giving. Input often takes weeks and sometimes complications arise where such systems are being served from that can make the entire endeavor a headache to begin with. I know most the world has moved on to things like Discord and group messaging in texts, but for some odd reason I still find the older formats to have some appeal.

They call this a "forum", I believe. I'd have to check the ancient scrolls of wisdom.

(Aside - early forum technology dates back to the 1970s, although the way we'd think of them now is no earlier than 1995 - 20 years ago, minimum.)
    There is a song I hear: A melody from the past.
    I've opened a discord server for therians, if that's your thing.

Blog Entries

Truly a fascinating ancient technology. Obviously aliens were responsible; everyone knows the ancients didn't have the technology to build something like that!

Jokes aside, I've got CDs and tapes, but the CD player doesn't work that well and the tape collection doesn't have much I like (I'm not the one who accumulated it after all). Mostly I end up listening to music on YouTube. In terms of general technology... well, I'm pretty sure this computer is, by computer standards, ancient. The Acer M275 was originally released in 2011. Works fine, though.

I've transitioned to more modern social media than I like. Discord and Reddit have taken up a larger share of my time than forums and Dreamwidth, which I don't like at all... though I use IRC on pretty much a daily basis, and that's fucking ancient. But yeah, I've gotten corrupted by the lure of short text. I do what I can to fight against that. There's value in these older mediums. More thoughtful, and honestly I feel like there's a greater sense of community. And a greater sense of history, which probably helps build that sense of community.
    Last edited by cheetah; November 13th, 2019 at 11:17 PM.
    "If you are worthy of his affection, a cat will be your friend but never your slave. He keeps his free will though he loves, and will not do for you what he thinks unreasonable; but if he once gives himself to you, it is with absolute confidence and fidelity of affection." -Theophile Gautier

I have all sorts of obsolete and outdated tech and equipment laying around my room

Currently have quote a few Cassette tapes (someone was throwing them out despite having tons of great 1980s classic rock on them.. I also have an old cassette camcorder, and a few old 35 mm cameras, and a 86 Polaroid 600..

Currently l'm in the process of restoring an old Singer model 127 sewing machine that is in really bad shape since it was never maintained... I do have a usable Singer 221 Featherweight that is in okay condition but works like a dream

Quote Originally Posted by copb.phoenix View Post
    I use this ancient, slow moving technology similar to old BBS dial-ins, where you leave messages in a conversation and hope that others read it and maybe have some input worth giving. Input often takes weeks and sometimes complications arise where such systems are being served from that can make the entire endeavor a headache to begin with. I know most the world has moved on to things like Discord and group messaging in texts, but for some odd reason I still find the older formats to have some appeal.

They call this a "forum", I believe. I'd have to check the ancient scrolls of wisdom.

(Aside - early forum technology dates back to the 1970s, although the way we'd think of them now is no earlier than 1995 - 20 years ago, minimum.)
    Would a C64 be able to interface with your bbs software? Since there is one sitting in my grandmother's basement that used to belong to my Uncle, and he said I could have it