Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Who still uses old media/technology?

Quote Originally Posted by RunningRed View Post
    Record player or grammaphone?

My roommate used to have a player piano and still has several of the rolls.
    For those who don't know, they're basically music encoded, like a punch card, on a long sheet that wraps around a spindle.
    BOTH!! I like 1900s tech not just 1980s and 90s Tech.

I use this ancient, slow moving technology similar to old BBS dial-ins, where you leave messages in a conversation and hope that others read it and maybe have some input worth giving. Input often takes weeks and sometimes complications arise where such systems are being served from that can make the entire endeavor a headache to begin with. I know most the world has moved on to things like Discord and group messaging in texts, but for some odd reason I still find the older formats to have some appeal.

They call this a "forum", I believe. I'd have to check the ancient scrolls of wisdom.

(Aside - early forum technology dates back to the 1970s, although the way we'd think of them now is no earlier than 1995 - 20 years ago, minimum.)
    There is a song I hear: A melody from the past.
    I've opened a discord server for therians, if that's your thing.

Blog Entries

Truly a fascinating ancient technology. Obviously aliens were responsible; everyone knows the ancients didn't have the technology to build something like that!

Jokes aside, I've got CDs and tapes, but the CD player doesn't work that well and the tape collection doesn't have much I like (I'm not the one who accumulated it after all). Mostly I end up listening to music on YouTube. In terms of general technology... well, I'm pretty sure this computer is, by computer standards, ancient. The Acer M275 was originally released in 2011. Works fine, though.

I've transitioned to more modern social media than I like. Discord and Reddit have taken up a larger share of my time than forums and Dreamwidth, which I don't like at all... though I use IRC on pretty much a daily basis, and that's fucking ancient. But yeah, I've gotten corrupted by the lure of short text. I do what I can to fight against that. There's value in these older mediums. More thoughtful, and honestly I feel like there's a greater sense of community. And a greater sense of history, which probably helps build that sense of community.
    Last edited by cheetah; November 13th, 2019 at 11:17 PM.
    "If you are worthy of his affection, a cat will be your friend but never your slave. He keeps his free will though he loves, and will not do for you what he thinks unreasonable; but if he once gives himself to you, it is with absolute confidence and fidelity of affection." -Theophile Gautier

I have all sorts of obsolete and outdated tech and equipment laying around my room

Currently have quote a few Cassette tapes (someone was throwing them out despite having tons of great 1980s classic rock on them.. I also have an old cassette camcorder, and a few old 35 mm cameras, and a 86 Polaroid 600..

Currently l'm in the process of restoring an old Singer model 127 sewing machine that is in really bad shape since it was never maintained... I do have a usable Singer 221 Featherweight that is in okay condition but works like a dream

Quote Originally Posted by copb.phoenix View Post
    I use this ancient, slow moving technology similar to old BBS dial-ins, where you leave messages in a conversation and hope that others read it and maybe have some input worth giving. Input often takes weeks and sometimes complications arise where such systems are being served from that can make the entire endeavor a headache to begin with. I know most the world has moved on to things like Discord and group messaging in texts, but for some odd reason I still find the older formats to have some appeal.

They call this a "forum", I believe. I'd have to check the ancient scrolls of wisdom.

(Aside - early forum technology dates back to the 1970s, although the way we'd think of them now is no earlier than 1995 - 20 years ago, minimum.)
    Would a C64 be able to interface with your bbs software? Since there is one sitting in my grandmother's basement that used to belong to my Uncle, and he said I could have it

I still use a flip phone but hopefully that will change soon

I used a flip phone for ages. Obviously it was a Nokia, otherwise I would have upgraded. Eventually, I decided a smartphone would be super helpful for professional purposes, and now I use it for purposes a busy dad might: pager, PDA, calendar, and the one everyone my age dreads: for calling people. Gasp! I also store music on it that was ripped from a CD library that I swear is being stolen by cat burglars hired by the digital music industry because they keep slowly disappearing. If anyone knows where I can buy new CDs that is not Amazon and/or Google, do tell!
    "Nature forsaken...once admired by us all. Does it know we're scared...to move...to wake...scared to be...who we were?" -Eluveitie. "Home"

Blog Entries

When I was in my early 20s I used to have an extensive vintage computer collection--some of them running MS-DOS 6.22, some Win 95, two of them had Win 98SE...
    I had 30 of those suckers--3 laptops and 27 desktops--with the prime piece being a gigantic 386 machine for some reason installed in a server cabinet; it was very imposing and it had the tiniest little screen connected to it that I put on top of it and it looked like three kids in a longcoat pretending to be an adult.
    Another good one was a 486-based IBM machine which, before I got it, had spent a decade rusting away in some moist old barn. True to its IBM nature, it did not hesitate to power on and function once I had it rescued.

Had a lot of that equipment donated, and sometimes I had strings I could pull--such as knowing someone at the municipal office who could redirect some of their dumped stuff to me instead of the dump; this included 5 CRT monitors which, other than being CRT monitors, had absolutely nothing wrong with them and were being dumped as part of a routine hardware upgrade...

I also had entire crateloads of floppies, both 3 inch and 5 inch--I had the faculties to make use of both, so I did. The 5-inch floppies in particular I sometimes used in high school as a loophole to get out of the whole "handing in assignments on floppy disk" which was legitimately a thing for a while...
    ...until I (and some others) managed to abuse the system so much they had to stop it. We achieved it by consistently handing in corrupt or malfunctioning floppies and claiming the assignments (which we never did) got swallowed. Somehow, 5-inch disks didn't strike anyone as an obvious ploy (considering literally no one but me could even use them).
    I didn't keep any of my old floppies, although I do have three unopened boxes of 3-inch floppies I can use, plus two unopened boxes of 5-inch floppies that I'll never have a chance to use again and that I'll probably sell on ebay one day...

Nowadays I'm left with just one machine, which covers all my needs. It's Dad's old work computer from his old work. He was supposed to dump it but instead kinda just let me filch it a few years back. It used to run Windows 98 but I put MS-DOS 6.22 on it, which is what I would put on everything else, too. It's got a Sound Blaster compatible card, so it runs every DOS game imaginable--and more.
    I also managed to get my brother so interested in all of this crap (a friend coming over so I could help set up his 486 computer definitely did help with that, too) that he's been finding vintage computers to buy.

I kept disk images of some of my old equipment, so I still have all of my assemblers, compilers, and other stuff. I also have all the old programs I wrote, including part of the code for DISASTER (a binary executable editor) which I consider my masterpiece (and yes I did make it look like Norton Commander on purpose). My broken masterpiece since I've lost parts of the code and haven't been bothered to rewrite because it's going to be a bitch.
    I wrote it in assembly, and its "official" function is just being an assembler. It started out as an assembler because I got fed up with "proper" assemblers not allowing me to use nonstandard commands and synonyms. Eventually it grew into more when I decided to combine it with a disassembler.
    On the surface it just runs as another command line assembler, but using hidden command line switches it also functions as a disassembler and has the extensive binary editor function. Instructions in it can be input and modified both as hex and mnemonics--it assembles and disassembles on the fly--and data structures can be rescanned and remapped on the fly as well. It's made for the 80286, but another hidden switch makes it assemble and disassemble (and edit) 6502 code, because I wanted to get into NES programming once, and 6502 is so neat and symmetrical that throwing it in was a breeze...

I practically grew up on QBasic. I'd do a longer post on QBasic but I'm afraid I'd get carried away... I've got so many good memories of QBasic and the QBasic communities and archives. I was having the time of my life, really. It was the start of pretty much everything artistic for me. Got me started on drawing, on making music, on programming...

On a side note: CDs are considered "old" now?! The fuck is this, the 34th century? Where are the fucking flying cars and force fields then? Old my ass.
    A negative number was raised to a power that is not an integer.

I think the oldest things I still use are the VCR & an old radio that uses an antenna. The radio has no CD player, only cassette.
    "Walking sideways through them gutters
    And you realize that the floor sticks to your feet like history
    Well, don't you look at me like life don't hold you anymore mystery" - Modest Mouse