Page 84 of 84 FirstFirst ... 3474828384

Thread: The Daily Thought - The 24th!

Blog Entries

These days, from what little I've observed, what you speak of is basically absent. I don't know exactly what you'd call the opposite of misanthropy, but whatever you'd call it, it seems more common than misanthropy, and misanthropy is generally disliked. While understandable, I do not regard this as completely positive; I only regard misanthropy as truly negative when combined with arrogance or active malice. I am of the opinion that rejecting both misanthropy and its opposite is the correct path, but that is just me.

Regardless, I think your analysis of this contradiction misses the point, because the people you are talking about simply do not agree with your premise of "to be a conscious being is to be evil." Even if you are right--and I don't think you are, because I (and, I think most others, including the people you're talking about) don't accept Hegel's definition of evil--what determines if there's a contradiction in their thought isn't what's true, but what they think. If you accept a different premise to what evil is, there isn't necessarily a paradox.

And I think they do have a different premise of what evil is. They look at things like environmental destruction, homophobia, slavery, racism, and the like and consider those evil. And then they look at the species of animal they think of when they think "animal" and note that--at least as far as they know--those things aren't present in those species. For the most part they've even right. Invasive species (and some native ones) can be environmentally destructive, but humans really are the most environmentally destructive species and most species aren't particularly environmentally destructive. I am not aware of any homophobia in any species other than humans, and as far as we know humans are the only ones with a concept of "race."

There are species that have slavery, but as far as I know that's limited to ants. Most of these people aren't thinking about ants, and I think that exposes the true flaw in their thinking--it's not contradictory, it's not a paradox, it's just narrow-mindedness.

There are plenty of evils that, as a whole, are pretty epidemic to the human species and are fairly isolated to the human species.

There are also plenty of things that these people would (crucially) admit are evils, and are way more common among various other species than humans. Killing a mother's children so that you can mate with her, for instance; that's pretty evil. Eating prey alive--well, that's not that unheard of in human society, but it's way more common outside it. I can't state for sure how common surplus killing is inside and outside human society, but it's certainly something many species (albeit including humans) do.
    Last edited by cheetah; January 13th, 2021 at 11:42 PM.
    "If you are worthy of his affection, a cat will be your friend but never your slave. He keeps his free will though he loves, and will not do for you what he thinks unreasonable; but if he once gives himself to you, it is with absolute confidence and fidelity of affection." -Theophile Gautier

It's interesting to look through old WL threads and contrast them with discussions now. There seems to be quite a marked shift in content sometime around 2016 and gradually before that, too. For example, there seems to be more discussion surrounding things like therian 'gear', teen werewolves, and other similar stuff that I would generally associate more with younger therians or those on more popular sites like Tumblr and YouTube.

Not sure why that is, but I assume it partially has something to do with the smaller size of WL now.

As a side question, how do people feel about making new posts in older threads? I haven't been on WL for a while so I've forgotten the etiquette on that.
    "We have doomed the wolf not for what it is, but for what we deliberately and mistakenly perceive it to be––the mythologized epitome of a savage, ruthless killer––which is, in reality, no more than the reflected image of ourself." – Farley Mowat, Never Cry Wolf

Blog Entries

Making new posts on older threads is encouraged; we don't have a rule against thread necromancy. In fact we encourage it! Resurrect the hordes of the dead threads.
    "If you are worthy of his affection, a cat will be your friend but never your slave. He keeps his free will though he loves, and will not do for you what he thinks unreasonable; but if he once gives himself to you, it is with absolute confidence and fidelity of affection." -Theophile Gautier

I seriously can't help but roll my eyes at the back and forth sometimes. Seems like a one upmanship contest at times.

I just realized my profile picture is a corona
    corona
    c o r o n a

oh no

Blog Entries

Well, my basil plant is most definitely dead, now.

I'm trying to grow another batch of mushrooms from my grow-kit, so we'll see how that goes. Not super optimistic because I let it dry out somewhat.

Blog Entries

A few thoughts:

- My plants are growing gloriously. Sorry to hear about the basil, Cheetah! Better luck with the mushrooms! I'm not trying to compete with you.

My succulents are taller than I could have imagined. My bamboo is shooting upward faster and faster. My orchids keep blooming, even after I accidentally broke off the apical meristem of one plant, expecting it to then die. My temporarily-indoors dwarf spruce tree keeps bringing me cheer. If I had more space, I'd go absolutely mad with plants and trees. Me right now: This is fine.

I'm taking an upper-year botany course and loving every single slide.

- Check out my post in the literature thread for an excellent wolf book I've located.

- Why do I even bother telling people I majored in psychology? They always assume the entire field is about either Freud or psychopaths. Cognitive psychology and experimental psychology don't exist. There's no such thing as environmental psychology. Sucks to study something nonexistent, but at least it gives me license to make shit up? People don't know what they don't know.
    "To insult someone we call him 'bestial'. For deliberate cruelty and nature, 'human' might be the greater insult."
    — Isaac Asimov