Page 91 of 91 FirstFirst ... 4181899091

Thread: The Daily Thought - The 24th!

Quote Originally Posted by LycanTheory View Post
    In my experience, it has been best to prepare for what happens when someone uses private information against me rather than spend time worrying about who, what, where, how.

This just reinforces my viewpoint on the subject, just because it's the standard in the online environment doesn't make it okay, the only reason that the individuals 'get a pass' perpetrating's this type of activity is because it would take too many resources to prosecute them for violating the rights of others and it's too common an activity, but stealing peoples personal information and posting it online is data theft and in many cases identity theft. This is no different than someone going into another persons medical file and posting that information online without their consent and with ill intent, which might I remind folks is the difference between manslaughter and murder, intent. It's despicable. The people who do this type of thing should be put in jail because operating without consequences is taken as implied consent for being a scumbag and a bane on society and in all fairness, probably a shitty person to boot.
    Last edited by Koba; April 12th, 2021 at 10:29 PM. Reason: spelling

Blog Entries

Regarding companies monitoring you: It's apparently bad enough that 10% of the younger generations have been rejected from a job because employers stalked their social media. And those are just the ones who know about it. Incredible that it isn't a bigger deal; in the article it mentions most people don't even care.

There really ought to be better laws around that sort of thing. There are, in some states, but as far as I can tell, not the majority yet.
    Last edited by cheetah; April 13th, 2021 at 12:06 AM.
    "If you are worthy of his affection, a cat will be your friend but never your slave. He keeps his free will though he loves, and will not do for you what he thinks unreasonable; but if he once gives himself to you, it is with absolute confidence and fidelity of affection." -Theophile Gautier

Blog Entries

Also worth noting is that preparing for the worst-case scenario and working toward better ethical standards are not mutually exclusive. It’s always a good idea to cover your butt, but the broader cause of improvements to privacy and data rights standards should still be in our sight.

My partner’s phone warned him the other day that it was looking likely it would run out of battery before the time he usually plugs it in. Nice feature, but even that kind of gave me the creeps. Our hardware and software these days are definitely not the inert tools they used to be - they are collecting so much information. I think somewhere on here I’ve recommend watching The Social Dilemma and listening to what Tristan Harris has to say about tech companies and data... one idea is the taxing of data collection to de-incentivize companies from just collecting every little detail they can about your behavior.

I still really like the idea of moving away from the paid-advertisement models that incentivize gaming for clicks, creating addictive habits, and collecting all data possible. Once you realize that every fourth post on twitter or facebook is an ad, it really becomes hard not to think about.

Quote Originally Posted by Koba View Post
    This just reinforces my viewpoint on the subject, just because it's the standard in the online environment doesn't make it okay, the only reason that the individuals 'get a pass' perpetrating's this type of activity is because it would take too many resources to prosecute them for violating the rights of others and it's too common an activity, but stealing peoples personal information and posting it online is data theft and in many cases identity theft. This is no different than someone going into another persons medical file and posting that information online without their consent and with ill intent, which might I remind folks is the difference between manslaughter and murder, intent. It's despicable. The people who do this type of thing should be put in jail because operating without consequences is taken as implied consent for being a scumbag and a bane on society and in all fairness, probably a shitty person to boot.
    I agree with you on the standard being deplorable.

Realistically, though, it is a lucrative practice that's not only profitable for social media but encouraged and enabled by society very strongly - especially amongst Gen Z. The problem is twofold, one of social trend and one of exploitation of legality by our Silicone Valley overlords. Any time someone can profit by money or clout from a behaviour, no matter how poor, any sort of reform will be encumbered if not stifled in it's tracks unless a very large number of people join the movement.

Barring a widescale uprising against social media and the damages it has been inflicting upon us for nearly two decades, I don't see any hope of change on the horizon and as can be evidenced, the government, at least here in the US is disinterested, at best, with going after Silicon Valley as they've got their hand too deep in the cookie jar.

Our options as individuals, as it stands now are don't participate - don't go online, spend effort and money to keep oneself concealed and hidden from potential threats or damage OR harden oneself, adapt and prepare to minimalize and mitigate these damages not if but when they rear their ugly head and go on living. It sucks but from my perspective, I don't see any other viable options on the table.

Lyc

"It takes incredible strength and courage to be different from everybody else, but it's a good thing."

Blog Entries

I just have a different perspective, I guess. I think it’s not unrealistic to think things can change for the better, and it’s a worthwhile project to encourage by having good conversations about it and supporting the people like Tristan Harris who are investing their time into fixing it. I’m certainly not the best equipped to spearhead the charge, but I retain my hope and good intentions toward getting people thinking about things that matter and supporting those who are more able to lead real change. There can be better ways. Showing people the better ways and making alternatives available are key.

Maybe working in conservation is a part of it, because I am both used to fighting uphill battles and I’m used to holding on to hope. Things don’t change if we tell ourselves it’ll always be a certain way. And even losing battles can be worth having.

I also don’t see the options of increasing one’s online security and prepping for the worst case scenario as mutually exclusive. And there’s still the option of being a public advocate of ethical security practices. Having good conversations is how to change people’s minds and start tilting the tables. We can do all of these things at once.

This may be a topic that warrants its own thread
    Last edited by Kisota; April 15th, 2021 at 08:15 AM.

Storms rolling in, I miss having a porch I can sit out on and watch the clouds and listen to the rain. Hopefully something I can enjoy again in the near future.

Blog Entries

Therian & otherkin drama anywhere totally pales in comparison to occult twitter community drama. A lot more entertaining.

Blog Entries

It's going to be bloody snowing tonight, and that's weird.
    "If you are worthy of his affection, a cat will be your friend but never your slave. He keeps his free will though he loves, and will not do for you what he thinks unreasonable; but if he once gives himself to you, it is with absolute confidence and fidelity of affection." -Theophile Gautier

Blog Entries

Snowed last night here, too, but it’s not that weird for us. :P

Blog Entries

I've only ever met two people who took my internet security paranoia seriously. Both are very accomplished hackers. I don't know how to communicate any of this drama to people who weren't involved. I'm known and hated by the absolute best and the absolute worst. Why do some people even exist? As I've said before, some people only know the languages of power and pain. Stealing my power. Inflicting their pain onto me. Why why why, just go away forever
    "To insult someone we call him 'bestial'. For deliberate cruelty and nature, 'human' might be the greater insult."
    — Isaac Asimov