Page 52 of 54 FirstFirst ... 2425051525354 LastLast

Thread: The Daily Thought - The 24th!

Blog Entries

Huh. Never really thought of the book that way--but then, I never managed to read that far into it. It's not a style I'm familiar with (I've tried, on rare occasions, to read books like that, but I never have gotten too into those books either, though I don't really know for sure why), but it does make it sound pretty intriguing.

Quote Originally Posted by Berlin View Post
    Unrelated Edit: Name a better flavor than "chili lime". I will wait.
    Smoked gouda?
    "If you are worthy of his affection, a cat will be your friend but never your slave. He keeps his free will though he loves, and will not do for you what he thinks unreasonable; but if he once gives himself to you, it is with absolute confidence and fidelity of affection." -Theophile Gautier

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aquatic Raider View Post
    Thrift store bit makes sense. I picked up my copy from Goodwill too!

Don't get me wrong the main character is terrible and is meant to be an exploration of the limits of his psyche as he leaves a trail of disaster in his wake; from his more cult-like ideas to the very clear abuse of his girlfriend. He mentions himself as the goat and his lover as a pack of wolves continually 'tearing him apart' in a literal predator / prey relationship - which is another motif for him (the real predator) trapping her in his fantasy and dragging her along for the ride.

He does die in the end. And its well written enough that everyone is a little bit mystified, no one seems surprised, and perhaps most importantly the characters go on with their lives. Like on some level the other characters were enthralled with him in the moment, but after he's gone reality settles once more.

The book is not written to damn any one of the characters - which is where I think it gets its dubious reputation. There are some pretty large missteps and taboos broken by the main character, but because so much of it is from his perspective, you as the reader are forced to make the decision of saying "this character is f***d up" at some point or another.

I would put it on a similar level as a true crime book written from the standpoint of a killer.

By no means a ray of sunshine as a book, but I really enjoyed the writing style and the therianthropic themes. But it should certainly be avoided if scenes of gore, domestic abuse, or drug use are triggering.
    Thanks for the breakdown! I can totally understand a book like that. Hell, my favorite read of 2018 was Lolita.

Blog Entries

Well, I finally got a job. Don't know when I'll be starting work, exactly, but it should be soon.
    "If you are worthy of his affection, a cat will be your friend but never your slave. He keeps his free will though he loves, and will not do for you what he thinks unreasonable; but if he once gives himself to you, it is with absolute confidence and fidelity of affection." -Theophile Gautier

Hey all, Good News. Tomorrow, October 13 is my birthday.

Hige - Happy early Birthday to you! And you get a Full Moon on your Birthday. How cool is that?

**EDIT**

My thought for the day...evening, lol

I notice a pattern when I take a long break away from WL I tend to pop in and be a bit more active during the Autumn season, then I end up going "poof" for a few months. Not sure why that is, it's something I've noticed about my posting behavior. Haha!
    Last edited by Somnia; October 12th, 2019 at 10:30 PM.

Blog Entries

I'd have to check, but it wouldn't surprise me if the site in general was more active during winter in the Northern hemisphere. More people inside.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hotdogwolf View Post
    Hey all, Good News. Tomorrow, October 13 is my birthday.
    Happy birthday!

Quote Originally Posted by Somnia View Post
    Hige - Happy early Birthday to you! And you get a Full Moon on your Birthday. How cool is that?

**EDIT**

My thought for the day...evening, lol

I notice a pattern when I take a long break away from WL I tend to pop in and be a bit more active during the Autumn season, then I end up going "poof" for a few months. Not sure why that is, it's something I've noticed about my posting behavior. Haha!
    Thank you Somnia. I don't feel old :P Just got back from Chinese Buffet and then I had Barkday Cake and my Barkday gift of The Art of How to train your Dragon. Now I am just chilling. Howl are you doing Sister Wolf. Hugs. Thank you Kerguelen. HUGS.

Happy birthday Hige ... Still trying to figure out this site

Happy late birthday, yours this year was on the Hunter's Moon. Hope it was a good day and you get good sleep tonight.

Also it reminds my my brother turns 26 tomorrow aka the 15th.