Page 95 of 98 FirstFirst ... 45859394959697 ... LastLast

Thread: The Daily Thought - The 24th!

Blog Entries

I read The Coddling of the American Mind this week. Not a big fan of the inflammatory title, but I am a fan of a lot of Jonathan Haidt’s thinking about censorship, academic expectations, social media, and overprotective parenting.

The subtitle, “how good intentions and bad ideas are setting up a generation for failure” is apt, though. The title sounds like it caters to the right-wing concept of progressives as sniveling babies. But Haidt is actually usually good about recognizing that most of the challenges we see are the result of good intentions, both from the parents of Gen Z, and Gen Z themselves trying to enact social change and look out for one another.

The book got me thinking a lot about how discourse style and expectations within other subcommunities like therian/otherkin ones have changed over the years. There’s a lot of changes I find really unpalatable and stifling to conversation, or even actually harmful. For instance, I find the principle of charity is increasingly violated - that is, the idea that you should be charitable toward the argument of another and assume the best interpretation of it. It seems very common that people take the worst possible interpretation instead.

A lot of the concepts discussed in the book would be valuable considerations for civil discourse in nonhuman communities.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kisota View Post
    The book got me thinking a lot about how discourse style and expectations within other subcommunities like therian/otherkin ones have changed over the years. There’s a lot of changes I find really unpalatable and stifling to conversation, or even actually harmful. For instance, I find the principle of charity is increasingly violated - that is, the idea that you should be charitable toward the argument of another and assume the best interpretation of it. It seems very common that people take the worst possible interpretation instead.
    This sounds like an extremely interesting read, Kiso. I might have to seek out this book and give it a read myself then. Charity as a concept has been pretty bastardized in modern usage sadly, so I can agree with that. As they say, the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

I've been working a lot lately, the kind of chaos and long, hard hours needed to be able to get a theatre together from the ground up scrambling in less than a month to make a season open at the start of August for guests to come see. I've wanted to spend time thinking on my nonhumanity but I find myself thinking on my humanity when I'm alone at the theatre hauling lighting and sound gear around or landscaping around the stage. Thinking about work ethic a lot as well, and how much I value it in people, and have learned to value it in myself after this long of work in my industry being unavailable due to the pandemic.

Feared for a long while that when I'd return to work, I'd just not want to work anymore. But I do, I like working, I just place value in the quality of that work.
    Jasper - He/him - 23
    Alolan Marowak Fictherian - Dragon-Hearted
    Wildly curious and here for a good time.

Blog Entries

If you want to start with a crash course on some of the topics of the book, here’s an episode of Sam Harris’s podcast where he speaks with Haidt about the book.

They don’t talk too much about cognitive distortions in the interview, if I remember right, but that was another part of the book that is really relevant. Emotional reasoning, always being right, catastrophising, and others are things I see so constantly from people in therian spaces.

I’m really glad the work is satisfying, Jasper!!

Blog Entries

I don't really get why people hate on New Jersey so much. You would think with the presence of the Pine Barrens it would have a reputation as a prettier place than it does.

There are more frog eggs in the pond. Far as I can tell they were laid in the past few days. I'm hoping these are treefrog spawn.
    "If you are worthy of his affection, a cat will be your friend but never your slave. He keeps his free will though he loves, and will not do for you what he thinks unreasonable; but if he once gives himself to you, it is with absolute confidence and fidelity of affection." -Theophile Gautier

I have a friend who lives in Jersey. He always talks about how much he hates it and wants to leave. Seems like a lot of it functions as one big suburb for NYC. That's the area my friend lives in. Crowded and noisy with obnoxious neighbors is how I've heard it described, but I've never been there so who knows how accurate that review really is. Maine seems more my style, as far as New England goes.

Blog Entries

It's definitely not accurate for the Pine Barrens, at least. That's roughly a fourth of the state, as far as I can see from the maps. And it looks like this.

But I don't think many people live there (as is kind of obvious from the photo). So I suppose it makes sense people wouldn't think of it when they think of New Jersey, especially if they live in New Jersey.
    "If you are worthy of his affection, a cat will be your friend but never your slave. He keeps his free will though he loves, and will not do for you what he thinks unreasonable; but if he once gives himself to you, it is with absolute confidence and fidelity of affection." -Theophile Gautier

Blog Entries

Daily thought: As much as I love summer, it would be nice if we could have a little break and maybe some light rain showers.

That actually happened a few weeks ago, and it must have spoiled me because now I want more. It was so cool and relaxing without being horribly cold. The perfect temperature actually. And I opened all the windows and stretched out in bed. Very nice.
    We share our physical lives with those in spirit. For life, like love, never dies.
    Love knows no limits, not even death.

I'm glad to get to pop in on Werelist again. I was very busy early on in the summer, and things have been really rough the last few weeks since my dog passed away. I'm starting to do a bit better and have a little time before responsibilities pick up again, so it's nice to get on forums again. I hope everyone has been doing well!

Sorry to hear that. It's a terrible experience to lose a pet. Oftentimes it seems we don't realize how much we appreciated them until they're gone.

It's kind of crazy some of the old forums like this are still around. It doesn't feel like 2009 was all that long ago.

Blog Entries

Good to see you, bloodmuffins! I’m so sorry to hear of your loss. A good friend and colleague of mine is dealing with the impending death of her own dog, as well. It never is easy. Big hugs and best wishes.

I’m kind of in the opposite place schedule/responsibility-wise. I’ve been on the road and in the field a lot these past weeks, and am about to be gone even MORE. I already need to call and reschedule another appointment today, because it turns out my schedule really isn’t going to allow for it. Seems like I end up doing this for most of my appointments in the summer. It’s just so hard to squeeze in anything when it’s fieldwork time.