Page 68 of 72 FirstFirst ... 18586667686970 ... LastLast

Thread: The Daily Thought - The 24th!

I recently stumbled across this video which some of you may find interesting in relation to therianthropy. It's about historical accounts of werewolves and a modern case of clinical lycanthropy.

The channel itself has a few other videos on similar topics, such as a 9th century monk's perspective on whether so-called dog-headed men have souls.

I don't personally believe in classical werewolves or the like, but I think historical accounts such as these potentially hold some relevance or at least interest to modern therianthropy by highlighting how ingrained human tendency towards anthropomorphism and/or zoomorphism is.
    "We have doomed the wolf not for what it is, but for what we deliberately and mistakenly perceive it to be––the mythologized epitome of a savage, ruthless killer––which is, in reality, no more than the reflected image of ourself." – Farley Mowat, Never Cry Wolf

Blog Entries

I just sang along to "Fat Bottomed Girls" with a group of strangers, mostly Native men (Six Nations), and it was hilarious.

One of them went, "You know the guy who wrote this is gay, right?"

Coyotes believe in spontaneous union.

Lupus Paws, let me get back to you with links of my own. Good stuff.
    Last edited by Coyote Jones; August 2nd, 2020 at 11:39 PM.

Blog Entries

Well, I guess those are some videos I should watch then.

Also, "Good Hunting" from Love, Death, and Robots is pretty good. The story it's based on is better, though.
    "If you are worthy of his affection, a cat will be your friend but never your slave. He keeps his free will though he loves, and will not do for you what he thinks unreasonable; but if he once gives himself to you, it is with absolute confidence and fidelity of affection." -Theophile Gautier

Blog Entries

I love being on the road for a good part of the summer for fieldwork. But the schedule this year has meant that when I’ve been home, I’ve had about enough time to clean my apartment, shop for the week, prep food for travel, wash up my field clothes, re-pack, and... that’s about it.

Looking forward to having a little more time this weekend and next. I need a little extra time to talk to some family about the potential for big plans next month. All good things this time, thankfully.

Hopefully soon I can finally start on those travel plans and not get coronafucked? I have a small glimmer of hope? Please god almighty?

Another thought: I hate it when people ask what my interests are. I don’t have interests.

It’s raining!! Yay
    Last edited by Kerguelen; August 7th, 2020 at 09:58 AM.

2018 was the best year of my life.

Kind of tempted to try catching a squirrel lol. There’s so many in the backyard and I’ve never tried one....
    Last edited by Kerguelen; August 7th, 2020 at 07:03 PM.

Blog Entries

My best friend wanted to talk to me about something he's observed about me, and didn't want to do it over text, so I was a little worried it would be something kind of negative. He assured me it wasn't, but wanted to talk more directly to make sure he didn't come across that way.

It was actually really fascinating... it was something that's come up before, even here! He basically wanted to comment on what he called a "spooky" ability I have to dramatically and instantly change my behavior with the context of the situation. The examples he used were things like snapping out of a deep conversation to cheerfully greet my partner, or instantly adjusting if a waiter comes up when we're mid conversation.

I told him everyone does this sort of thing (which is sometimes called code-switching). If you listen, you can hear people's voices adjust depending who they're speaking to. The words they use, too, and sometimes even accents! Everyone modifies how they're behaving based on who is around and what the circumstances are.

But he said the level to which I do it and the speed are uncanny. Very odd. I realized I have had that pointed out to me several times - like by teachers in high school noting how I can seem to be goofing off but instantly be paying full attention as needed.

It got me thinking about how people have described me as "shapeshifting" because of how I seem to be able to mesh with so many different kinds of groups. And it got me thinking about WHY that is, because it does seem a bit bizarre. I think a lot of it has to do with the weird lifestyle I've led, moving constantly and frequently taking temporary jobs far away that completely uproot me from ALL of my social context.

It's almost like I've lived a bunch of different short little lives. A lot of these jobs and living circumstances have their own totally separate cast of social connections, with NO other context with other people in my life! And taking field jobs can mean meeting a random group of strangers in the morning, working with them all day, and sleeping in the same room as them that night. Sometimes I've shaken hands with someone RIGHT BEFORE laying down to share a room. Field jobs can mean not only living and working with the same people constantly... sometimes those are the only people around at all! So it becomes necessary to get VERY good at reading the room, parsing the group dynamics, and getting a feel for everyone's character, comfort, and preferences so you can all get along happily.

So I think the hyper-flexible social behavior comes from that necessity.

Blog Entries

Good brains, good nature, good effort, good genes. I wouldn't underestimate strongly neurotypical brain wiring informed by good genetics, as much as I recognize that you've also had to put in significant conscious effort to pay attention and listen to everyone, and to think about all of it, and then to think about all of it on a meta level. "Shapeshifting" is very apt! More generally, I've also heard your type of ability referred to as "hyperneurotypicality" by someone who I presume was neurotypical, and who was sympathetic to me, someone who's neurodivergent.

I'm trying to find comparisons. This isn't you, per se, but just a manifestation of that intuitiveness: it reminds me of a minor character in Christopher Moore's book Coyote Blue. A well-liked server at a breakfast pub who intuitively knows how to connect with all of her caffeine-deprived clientele. Who knows how to speak to each particular individual. The author described her as a shapeshifter. A term that was then applied to the book's protagonist, whose kid is then born with yellow eyes. A giveaway of the newborn's "trickster" nature, if overly obvious and a bit twee.

It also reminds me of a few other friends I've had. Many different things to many different people, but still maintaining integrity and a core sense of self, and generally not giving in to any urges to misuse that power, e.g. consciously trying to manipulate someone. Work with them, yes . . . but not to ill ends.

It's interesting. I'm almost the opposite of you in terms of social ability.

I'm also someone who's lived very many short lives with different people in different situations in different geographic locations. (Thank you for the "short little lives" descriptor.) Like Johnny Cash, I've been everywhere, man. But to spontaneously hit it off with strangers and then keep them happy after making a decent first impression? I couldn't do that in a month of Sundays. I get quiet, observant. Words begin to fail me. I need to convince myself that it's safe. I feel like retreating, regardless of what I actually choose to do.

I need to prepare for social encounters. I can't even pick up the goddamned phone without, like, getting my game face on. It sucks! Socializing should come more naturally!

Edited to add some fluff:

Yeah, this is fluffy. I'd ask you to what extent you feel that your social shapeshifting intersects with and colours your animality and vice versa, but that's kind of me being a jerk and asking for a personal essay. I know you've said that you're not particularly keen on assigning "human" or "animal" labels exclusively to your traits and experiences, and I'm totally here for that. But I will mention that of the few people I've met who just . . . mesh well with almost everyone, most were therian, and they were wolves, coyotes, lynx, crows, and ravens. I'm sensing a pattern. Social canids, the fabled "wolf-cat" (lynx; "wolf-cat" was a trapper's description in an old naturalist book), and those damn tricksters again.

I'm waiting to meet a fox therian who feels . . . well, trickster-like, cunning, a shapeshifter. Foxy.

Daily Thought:

Holy lord the trucks on the highway behind me are LOUD and FAST. It reminds me of Pet Sematary. It's all majestic big houses and green lawns until suddenly, thwack, someone's toddler gets hit.
    Last edited by Coyote Jones; August 8th, 2020 at 03:57 PM.

Meanwhile I’m god awful at anything requiring social skills.

Triangulate cobweb spiders are everywhere. I like these little spiders.
    Last edited by Kerguelen; August 8th, 2020 at 03:53 PM.

Blog Entries

But you're fun to talk to!

Spiders, though . . .

There's a big house spider in the corner of the window above my bed. For that reason alone, I turned my bed around and now I'm sleeping in the opposite direction.

But we also have tiny fluffy jumping spiders. Tiny. Fluffy. I excused one of them from on top of my pants the other day, "Here, bro, go into the grass." They're too cute to be scary.