Page 53 of 54 FirstFirst ... 34351525354 LastLast

Thread: The Daily Thought - The 24th!

cheetah - That would be interesting to see the flow of activity on WL throughout the year. That does make sense though, when the weather gets chilly people tend to hermit indoors a bit more. I also do that during the Summer months because it is TOO HOT to spend much time outdoors without risking a heat stroke (think temps in the upper 90s and low 100s in East Texas).

Hige - Sounds like you had a nice birthday. Glad you enjoyed it! I don't really feel "old" either but I have gotten more "don't care what people think about me" attitude as I've gotten older, Haha! I'm not rude or anything I just don't feel nearly as self conscious about stuff the way I use to when I was younger, if that makes sense. Things are well on my end of the woods, and I also want Chinese food now! :<
    Last edited by Somnia; October 14th, 2019 at 07:40 AM.

Happy (late) birthday, Hige!

Blog Entries

Apparently I may have missed a call from the bird shop sometime in the last couple months?? I've had a deposit down to get a new baby cockatiel from them and was meant to be contacted when I was up on the waitlist. I expected a call a month or more ago, but somehow missed it. Need to see if they have my phone right.

Anyway, I called them to check in yesterday and it sounds like there's a lot of babies! Time to start looking... a few are almost ready to go, but there are some younger ones too. I feel nervous and excited. We're going to go see this weekend. Probably sometime between now and the next month or so we will be able to have a new baby birdie...

It's a weird feeling. I've been missing Tilli and having a bunch of fresh sad dreams about her. I'm nervous about being able to bond with a new different bird, and hoping we will get along as well as I did with Tilli. But this is good...

Blog Entries

Update on bird situation: held a VERY cute baby in store last week. It was available, but I want to wait for a female. I've called back and found out they don't have DNA sex results back on it, yet, so I'm going to just keep calling and hope I find out it's a female before someone else grabs it. Little stressful. I might go in Saturday afternoon again if they say there are other younger ones we can at least look at.

OTHER big update of the week: I am starting a new job! For YEARS I've been scrabbling to make ends meet when my wildlife field seasons end. I was applying to some really crappy jobs I didn't want this year, and was all set to just do it anyway, but none of them could offer me even near enough hours to pay half my bills. NOT doable. Having to consider taking multiple shitty part-time jobs and learning them all at once and balancing schedules was putting me through some real grief.

And finding a salaried biologist position nearby for which I'm qualified right in the middle of all that put an extra strange emotional strain on it (I applied for that too, of course, but there's probably even better qualified people who've been waiting to nab that position so ... not holding my breath. It's so hard to break into salaried positions in this field.)

ANYWAY. The dream has always been to find something seasonal that I feel good about and that likes me well enough to let me fill in whenever I'm not on field work. Really far fetched dream, but it would give me more financial stability than I've had my whole adult life.

Annnnnd.... I think I've done it! I had a working interview at a dog daycare associated with a vet clinic, and they liked me so much that even when I sadly admitted at the end of the interview that I likely would want to return to seasonal wildlife jobs, they still want me.

It's a great place, it's actually the vet clinic I've taken my birds to. I used to work at a vet clinic in high school, so I'm sort of familiar with the format. PLUS... since a big part of the job is managing groups of dogs playing together, there's a LOT of me getting to apply my working knowledge of canine behavior. They were VERY happy I'd trained dogs and worked with wild canids before, because there's a big difference between "dog lover" and "actually knowledgeable dog person."

So yeah, it looks to be a good fit for me... I can't believe I'm about to be able to keep working with wildlife AND dogs professionally, and feel good about my work even on the off-season. I'm still always going to be tight for cash, but I'm used to that. Just being able to know I HAVE a place to work is going to help so much... It's a functional path forward, I think. Maybe I won't have to struggle so hard in the time between now and getting in a more permanent biologist position.

Quote Originally Posted by Splitstripe View Post
    Happy (late) birthday, Hige!
    Thank you Somnia and Stripe. Yup, And you shouldn't feel self-conscious about your age. We all get old. That's life, I guess. We just got to enjoy it while we have the time to enjoy life and the people and animals we care about. Changed my Profile picture to 1954 Godzilla. Why Godzilla.? I'm a fan.
    Last edited by hotdogwolf; October 24th, 2019 at 08:33 PM.

Kiso - That's great news about your career! Congrats!

I totally understand about browsing all sorts of crappy low paying jobs. I USED to be in the camp of not being on board with a $15 min wage for low skilled entry level type jobs, but lately I've been changing my tune about it. I won't get into that topic here though, but it's weird knowing how much my views have changed on things I used to be so adamant about... ; P

Hige - I'm not really self conscious about my age or getting older, but it's more I've grown more self confident in myself as I've gotten older, if that makes more sense, Haha!

Blog Entries

Everyone except the fatcat top execs skimming all the profits should be being paid more. Trickle-down isn't working, and wages absolutely have not kept up with inflation. Everyone else deserves better. That would be an interesting topic for the debate forum, though.

So far so good on new job. I'm in the brain-splosion phase of just trying to absorb all the new things, but so far so good. Bringing earplugs tomorrow, though, I think. Ow the barking.

Man, I love boardgames, but sorting one for hours is honestly a little bit crazy. Having wolf hyperfixations to make sure it was completely done made my brain a little weird for the rest of the day!

My Dog is back from the groomers. He looks all cleaned up now. YAY. No more of that old smelly sock look.

My dog is having teeth problems today. I think he has got to go to the Vet. Update: My dog is back from the vet but he has got to be on Meds for the rest of his life.
    Last edited by hotdogwolf; October 31st, 2019 at 07:20 PM.