Page 48 of 49 FirstFirst ... 3846474849 LastLast

Thread: Therian Daily Thought - The 5th!

Blog Entries

Trying to browse internet with one hand while I bounce my cockatiel on the other. He likes to be bounced while he sings his DOOT DOOT DOOOOO song.

Blog Entries

Related to a recent thread: years ago, I met a wolf therian on Dreamwidth who justified a mutual friend's asshole behavior by this logic: "Wolves bully each other."

Sure. I've witnessed a video of one coyote shoving its packmate down a snowy slope into a river, then kicking snow onto her head. I've heard Jan Yates describe a coyote father who was hostile to one of his daughters specifically, but not to other pack members. I've heard of female Yellowstone wolves ganging up on their pregnant sister to drive her into exile and possibly death. Nature is brutal.

Animal people can do better. We're obligated to.

Work on being a good animal and a good friend.

If I'm a predatory species and/or a scavenger, do I get to push around my family members or my mate, or dominate my roommate and steal their food?

I've been homeless and destitute. I get what it is to be desperate. I don't like having to mask my empathic nature around strangers to show that I'm strong and tough and that even when I'm vulnerable, I'll put up a fight. But I do need to do that. I don't know if it's strictly animal, as in nonhuman animal -- I just know that self-preservation is an immensely powerful drive.

Having said that, though, screw the animal-folk who lazily attribute their unsavory traits to their animal.
    "To insult someone we call him 'bestial'. For deliberate cruelty and nature, 'human' might be the greater insult."
    — Isaac Asimov

Blog Entries

I'm so tempted to purchase a collar. It's a funny thought, myself out shopping for a collar like it's a regular accessory, no different than a pair of shoes or a scarf. But it's one that greatly appeals to my animal side. I can even add my own charms to it in place of a name tag. You know, like anyone else would add charms to a braclet.

Of course, I'll need to take some measurements first. Because I can't be standing there trying on collars in the store. Which actually just gave me a funny thought. Imagine going into the fitting room and the only thing you're carrying is a dog collar.
    We share our physical lives with those in spirit. For life, like love, never dies.
    Love knows no limits, not even death.

Blog Entries

Why would anyone want to be or pretend to be therian? What's in it for them? I'm not saying therianthropy is a bad thing, but it's a weird thing, and it takes a pretty strong personal constitution to eventually become this larger social entity based on your persona and your own sense of self. It reminds me of a lynx friend who was hyper-neurotypical and popular. Her therianthropy was never even questioned! Everyone accepted her as a lynx! And she accepted them in return.

It really sucks to feel left out, regardless of your personal social standing with your online friends.
    "To insult someone we call him 'bestial'. For deliberate cruelty and nature, 'human' might be the greater insult."
    — Isaac Asimov

Late night sleeplessness had me browsing about the net. I saw the freedom of form folks had gotten around finally to posting on the therian reddit, not the first time I've heard of them but the first time I've seen self promotion. Curiosity getting the best of me as usual I poked around their site some, surprisingly there seems to be some well educated individuals working on whatever it is their doing. It would be interesting if they succeeded and by all means I'm rooting for them but I think it is a pipe dream honestly.

Seems like most of what they have been doing is comparative anatomy alluding to replacing certain parts of the body with modified parts or getting the skin to grow a certain way to produce hair or scales. As far as I know it just doesn't work that way, bodies tend to reject foreign cells, from what I know most transplant patients end up on immunosuppressants to keep their bodies from attacking donor organs which also makes them more prone to disease and infections. I hate to say it that sounds very similar to a conversation I had with someone who tried to convince me that the missing link to P-shifting was cancer. It seems to me that there hasn't been much accounting or thought put into the underlying physiological problems that would arise from some of the methodologies. There seems to be an emphasis on physicality and appearance over biological functionality that I find concerning. I'm not really even sure it belongs in therian circles because of the emphasis on that physical aspect, from what I gather the idea is little more than an organic costume, mainly cosmetic. I saw mention of things like growing armor, or taking flight like a bird and from how it is described I don't think the author understood how very specialized things like that are in the natural world, a bird does not fly because it has feathers. A bird flies because it's entire physical structure is built to support flight, looking like a bird will not make flying possible.

It just strikes me as odd that most of the literature focuses on appearance and self expression. Perhaps yet again I am the oddball, being male and having had gender dysphoria most of my memorable life the solution that made the most sense to me was not to seek physical change but to find a happy medium in my present form, to accept oneself as the unidealized thing one is. I approached the dysphoria of species in a similar fashion and I'd argue that husk of external physical appearance will always pale in comparison to the introspective knowledge gained from philosophical pursuits of self. There begins new growth, no genetic modification necessary.

...but that is just this fools opinion.

Blog Entries

Not sure if this is the place for this or not. I'm having my roof replaced. The roofer said he would come out two days ago at 6AM. I left my phone's ringer on that day. He never showed up. Today he showed up. Without notice prior to THIS morning. Since I leave my phone on silent mode when I sleep. I missed his call/text. Then my BPD mother went crazy. All the commotion, and the fact I had JUST woke up, and was shifty with my WPP. My mother went crazy arguing with me. It took meds to calm me down. Between all this my mother was arguing with me, jumping me, calling me names. Saying I'm crazy. I ended up full shifted a few times. On all fours with my other dogs. It took a bit to suppress the wolf, and go out to help them. It's still making me shifty today. All the noise on the roof. But wolves are skiddish critters.
    Last edited by AziMWolf; July 14th, 2021 at 01:04 PM. Reason: add more

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Koba View Post
    Late night sleeplessness had me browsing about the net. I saw the freedom of form folks had gotten around finally to posting on the therian reddit, not the first time I've heard of them but the first time I've seen self promotion. Curiosity getting the best of me as usual I poked around their site some, surprisingly there seems to be some well educated individuals working on whatever it is their doing. It would be interesting if they succeeded and by all means I'm rooting for them but I think it is a pipe dream honestly.

Seems like most of what they have been doing is comparative anatomy alluding to replacing certain parts of the body with modified parts or getting the skin to grow a certain way to produce hair or scales. As far as I know it just doesn't work that way, bodies tend to reject foreign cells, from what I know most transplant patients end up on immunosuppressants to keep their bodies from attacking donor organs which also makes them more prone to disease and infections. I hate to say it that sounds very similar to a conversation I had with someone who tried to convince me that the missing link to P-shifting was cancer. It seems to me that there hasn't been much accounting or thought put into the underlying physiological problems that would arise from some of the methodologies. There seems to be an emphasis on physicality and appearance over biological functionality that I find concerning. I'm not really even sure it belongs in therian circles because of the emphasis on that physical aspect, from what I gather the idea is little more than an organic costume, mainly cosmetic. I saw mention of things like growing armor, or taking flight like a bird and from how it is described I don't think the author understood how very specialized things like that are in the natural world, a bird does not fly because it has feathers. A bird flies because it's entire physical structure is built to support flight, looking like a bird will not make flying possible.

It just strikes me as odd that most of the literature focuses on appearance and self expression. Perhaps yet again I am the oddball, being male and having had gender dysphoria most of my memorable life the solution that made the most sense to me was not to seek physical change but to find a happy medium in my present form, to accept oneself as the unidealized thing one is. I approached the dysphoria of species in a similar fashion and I'd argue that husk of external physical appearance will always pale in comparison to the introspective knowledge gained from philosophical pursuits of self. There begins new growth, no genetic modification necessary.

...but that is just this fools opinion.
    I have been thinking about these things a bit lately, too! Maybe it warrants its own thread?

Blog Entries

I do have to say, though, while body dysphoria is not really the only thing about my experience of animality… and probably not even the dominant thing, especially now… it really has made a lot of different in my day to day happiness to improve the things that bothered me.

I know I’ve spoken at length before about how getting really lean and fit has helped me with body dysphoria. That’s probably the biggest one and quite possibly the single biggest thing I’ve *EVER* done for my mental health. Meditation is great, therapy for some specific things was handy, figuring out how to sleep better makes a difference, but damn, the sheer quality of life improvement to have my body be … if not coyote-shaped, at least kind of coyote-equivalent… it’s a big deal. Of course, this is something that feels into the form AND function sort of improvement.

Having hair color that mimicked a coyote more would be cool, but that’s pure aesthetics.

Here’s something I’ve been thinking about that kind of falls in between though - my teeth. Even though I’ve always had really healthy teeth (no fillings, woo!), it’s bothered me on a really deep level since I was a teenager that they were a bit skewed. It wasn’t even so much that I thought they were ugly. Some part of me has always regarded any flaws in my teeth (or vision!) as really serious.

When my wisdom teeth came in, they shifted things around a lot, making the skew worse and causing one side to be mal-aligned in a way that was blunting some of the teeth. NOT okay. I wonder how much of this is a bit of an instinctive thing, you know? Animals, including humans, really need their teeth, and even though modern dental medicine is pretty advanced, so I’m probably fine… I’ve always felt this really deep unease around problems with my teeth.

So, anyway, long story short, I saw an orthodontist and several years later, am right about finished with fixing all of that. And it feels pretty amazing.

I’ve also bought services from a “fang smith”, so I’m going to be getting custom-fitted fangs on my canines (removable, not permanent, haha…). Really excited about that. I’ve always loved the look of fangs and had had several of the Scarecrow brand ones before. It never felt worth it to buy the dental quality ones, because I really didn’t like my teeth. And before my wisdom teeth came in, I was always afraid that my teeth would just get shifted again and the caps wouldn’t fit anymore. But all that is taken care of now, so I figured I’d celebrate with something a little silly but fun. This is something that really is mostly aesthetic, but it IS still enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by Kisota View Post
    I do have to say, though, while body dysphoria is not really the only thing about my experience of animality… and probably not even the dominant thing, especially now… it really has made a lot of different in my day to day happiness to improve the things that bothered me.

I know I’ve spoken at length before about how getting really lean and fit has helped me with body dysphoria. That’s probably the biggest one and quite possibly the single biggest thing I’ve *EVER* done for my mental health. Meditation is great, therapy for some specific things was handy, figuring out how to sleep better makes a difference, but damn, the sheer quality of life improvement to have my body be … if not coyote-shaped, at least kind of coyote-equivalent… it’s a big deal. Of course, this is something that feels into the form AND function sort of improvement.

I agree with you there, it almost falls in line with what was being talked about 'Diseases of Civilization' where the speaker was talking about how he felt depression was a disease of civilization ( A.K.A. Lifestyle Disease - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lifestyle_disease ) my original reading on this dates back a couple of years as it seems amended into the list are centered around those very aspects you stated. Not being physically active, eating well, or sleeping all revolving around lifestyle choices, choice being perhaps the wrong word in such a circumstance, I think 'Availability' is more fitting as yes the means to promote healthier living are technically available but are they really for the common person, I say no, it is in a way a luxury item, a luxury lifestyle.

Not so dissimilar to how those with material security may easily find time to pursue loftier ideals and pursuits whilst to the majority are far beyond reach because of their obligation to the 'servitude for services' arraignment of modern living, and so the cycle feeds into itself.

I do wholeheartedly agree with you that trying to be in better shape physically. ( Ie Healthy Weight, not emaciated. ), getting a good amount of solid sleep or rest are closely linked with ones mental well-being. That instances of a lot of these lifestyle types diseases would become far less frequent this was actively pursued by the general population. I also think things like instances of depression and other mental maladies would decrease in the long run. Body dysphoria being among them. I wonder at times about the nature of dysphoria, I believe it is relatively well accepted things like, anorexia or bulimia are regarded as social disorders, psychological obviously, but based in social psychology, I can't say for certain without a doing some re-reading on a bunch of literature. So then I come to my own 'issue' with dysphoria, and so I guess it could be social but the things about it that bother me aren't social or about external appearance or how I am perceived, in a lot of ways it just comes down to the internal perception of self conflict with the external reality.

I forgot if I had a point or not, I don't think so ( lol ) other than just discussing. I wouldn't consider dysphoria the primary indicator of 'being therian' for myself either though, just a really crappy part of it at times. It can make it really easy to fall into a progressively deeper pit of despair if left unchecked though. I found I like doing little things that end up sating those type of feelings, one of my favorites is wearing some of the infamous 'therian gear' to bed. I like curling up wearing my fursuit paws and tail, some other little quirky things, I've found having little outlets like that are amazing.
    Last edited by Koba; July 17th, 2021 at 09:17 PM. Reason: McSpellingx1

Blog Entries

I wonder what influences when I do and don't rub my face on things. It seems, mostly, to be a thing I do where I sleep, and I seem to do it less on my own bedding, but I'm not sure if it's because I have a narrow bed (so I can't rub and roll that much without falling off) or because it already smells like me. I don't remember doing it when I was living in places where I was sleeping on a wider bed, but that's true even when it didn't smell like me at all. It could be a particular scent that sets me off, but I've done it when hanging out with the cats in my parent's bedroom growing up and on hotel beds that smelled of Febreeze, and those scent profiles aren't anything alike.

And it's changed over time, I think. I'm pretty sure I've started face rubbing on my own bed more often, recently, despite it not really being a change I ever thought about. I don't know what caused that.

Kind of interested to hear if other people perceive any variance with that sort of scent marking behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyote Jones View Post
    Why would anyone want to be or pretend to be therian? What's in it for them? I'm not saying therianthropy is a bad thing, but it's a weird thing, and it takes a pretty strong personal constitution to eventually become this larger social entity based on your persona and your own sense of self. It reminds me of a lynx friend who was hyper-neurotypical and popular. Her therianthropy was never even questioned! Everyone accepted her as a lynx! And she accepted them in return.
    A combination of misanthropy and desire for social connections has no doubt done it for a few people. I mean, there are easier way to get social connections, but people have pretended all sorts of things to fit into a group.

Quote Originally Posted by Koba View Post
    Seems like most of what they have been doing is comparative anatomy alluding to replacing certain parts of the body with modified parts or getting the skin to grow a certain way to produce hair or scales.
    I'm pretty skeptical about most of this sort of thing, but skin cells and hair follicles seem like they'd be easier to work with for gene therapy, given how quickly your skin gets replaced. Replacing your skin with a prosthetic, though (which they suggest) seems like a recipe for trouble. I'm too sleepy to look over the white papers so they may address it, but in general I'm really suspicious of any of these "alter your body with silicon and metal and plastic" ideas. They seem medically risky, and at least for those of us whose theriotypes are fleshy and have no great desire to become a machine, it seems like it could be psychologically disturbing.

Maybe that part is just me personally. I know other people feel differently, but the notion of getting, I don't know, a prosthetic tail attached to the base of my spine just creeps me out. I like being fleshy.

Quote Originally Posted by Kisota View Post
    I have been thinking about these things a bit lately, too! Maybe it warrants its own thread?
    Yeah, it probably should have its own thread.
    Last edited by cheetah; July 18th, 2021 at 12:26 AM.
    "If you are worthy of his affection, a cat will be your friend but never your slave. He keeps his free will though he loves, and will not do for you what he thinks unreasonable; but if he once gives himself to you, it is with absolute confidence and fidelity of affection." -Theophile Gautier