Page 38 of 40 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 LastLast

Thread: Therian Daily Thought - The 5th!

Blog Entries

Some areas of the internet became aware of my existence on this site.

I wonder where they're getting so many of their clichés about therianthropy, making it into a delusion or otherwise abnormal psychology, and incredibly weird. "I'm a lycan TRAPPED in a human body!" "I feel caged!" "Bold of you to assume my species. *howls at the moon*" Are people on Werelist generally that bad?

I can't relate, even if I've had my own moments of being sort of fluffy and otherwise imperfect. Are these people who fit the stereotypes posting on Facebook groups and Tumblr? Is it really that bad out there?
    Last edited by Coyote Jones; September 11th, 2020 at 04:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyote Jones View Post

I wonder where they're getting so many of their clichés about therianthropy, making it into a delusion or otherwise abnormal psychology, and incredibly weird. "I'm a lycan TRAPPED in a human body!" "I feel caged!" "Bold of you to assume my species. *howls at the moon*" Are people on Werelist generally that bad?

I can't relate, even if I've had my own moments of being sort of fluffy and otherwise imperfect. Are these people who fit the stereotypes posting on Facebook groups and Tumblr? Is it really that bad out there?
    People see trolls on tumblr & facebook and just go along with it, I think. Some misinformed newbies take the bait and start using it for themselves. Hell, there's a whole subreddit focused on posting "cringe" which constantly mistakes those very trolls for the real deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyote Jones View Post

-----------------------

It took a long time for me to really take a lot of other 'online' therians seriously because of this. I thought it was mostly just kids playing games. It's still somewhat of an annoyance, wheat from the chaff and all.

Blog Entries

From my observations, the stereotypes are generally inaccurate everywhere (well, everywhere I've looked), but they're occasionally true, at least partly, and that's more than enough for people to give us grief. And, of course, any context that went with any of those statements gets drained away; some people do feel caged but I don't think that's especially odd, even among non-therians. It's all much worse on a site like Twitter or Tumblr, of course, that tends towards quick snappy responses; someone doesn't have to do as much editing.

As far as the extent to which it's true on various sites... well, I just generally dislike new social media, so I'm biased. But I will point out that on a site like Tumblr or Facebook, it is really easy to separate off from the rest of the community with a few likeminded people. Then, if you're obvious enough, new people can get drawn into your faction and swell your ranks. You can't do that so easily here; sites with an established site culture tend to attract people who click with it. This is both an asset and a liability. Anyone who came here offering to do pendulum readings--yes, those happened, though I don't know to what extent--would be laughed off the site, and this is good. But the community has drawn arbitrary, irrational lines in the past, and that was bad.
    Last edited by cheetah; September 12th, 2020 at 12:16 AM.
    "If you are worthy of his affection, a cat will be your friend but never your slave. He keeps his free will though he loves, and will not do for you what he thinks unreasonable; but if he once gives himself to you, it is with absolute confidence and fidelity of affection." -Theophile Gautier

Quote Originally Posted by Koba View Post
    -----------------------

It took a long time for me to really take a lot of other 'online' therians seriously because of this. I thought it was mostly just kids playing games. It's still somewhat of an annoyance, wheat from the chaff and all.
    I articulated my thoughts on this poorly and I really need to get into the habit of elaborating. The kinds of behavior and ideology surrounding therianthropy that seems to permeate the social sites made it very hard for me to find a lot of more relatable experiences and by extension whether or not I felt like 'therianthrope' was an appropriate label for the way that I experience life or that it had specific relevance to my own situation. I tend to shy away from the term because it seems to me like a now hijacked term that can be used to quantify any number of unfounded or irrational beliefs, relating to therianthropy or not. Which, seems generally screamed loudest by the least thoughtful of the group in question.

I have my own issues with Social Media, and it's usage in regards to therianthropy, it's not specifically a therian problem, it just manifests itself here in the same way it does in every other subject matter it involves. It was designed to operate off the base emotions of people, there is literally an article by one of the creators of Facebook where he is apologizing for making these apps in this fashion. It acts like any addictive substance and the emotional high that one gets from positive feedback on any subject or behavior from their peers. This creates a cycle in which the more 'X' an experience is and the more attention it gets, the more reinforcement an individual receives to continue the behavior. We start seeing more and more outlandish things fueled on by this social construct.

In regards to therianthropy, and therians that frequent apps that interact with a user on an emotional basis rather than an intellectual basis may find themselves caught in a loop whereas they desire positive affirmation for certain behaviors in increasing regularity. This in itself promotes a group think type mindset that 'we' see in places like this. In a way, I could say it is based more off what one wants others too 'see' than what is actuality and so we spiral into absurdity. It all feeds into itself, there is no real thought involved, at least in my opinion. Folks just want that next hit.

Just this fools take on it.

I'm not sure of whether I even consider this therianthropy related. I figure that doesn't matter so much anymore. I just cannot separate myself from North America. Just doesn't work. I don't feel much towards the countries here (human constructs I feel no real attachment towards) but the continent itself pretty much feels like a piece of land that I belong to inherently. It doesn't belong to me. I notice too many humans think that of land. I just belong to it and I have a sense of that being true especially when the context of me being a coyote is considered. If you tried to move me to some other continent where coyotes aren't, it would feel dead wrong.
    Last edited by Berlin; September 16th, 2020 at 02:14 PM.

Blog Entries

Is it more of a thing with specific landscapes in North America? Like, I feel a deeper connection with the Southwest than I do the Northeast, and more affection for desert and grassland than forests.
    "If you are worthy of his affection, a cat will be your friend but never your slave. He keeps his free will though he loves, and will not do for you what he thinks unreasonable; but if he once gives himself to you, it is with absolute confidence and fidelity of affection." -Theophile Gautier

No. It's a general thing for me. If it has any relation to therianthropy, in my case...it isn't too surprising.

(Speaking of, kinda funny that maps keep circulating saying there are no coyotes in the southeast where I live)
    Last edited by Berlin; September 17th, 2020 at 08:16 AM.

I experience the same thing with wooded wetlands. They just feel right and at home. But I currently live in a desert in CA - which isn't ideal. I've spent a fair amount of money and time trying to create an indoor habitat that simulates my preferred ecosystem. It helps - but it's still not the same.

Making pilgrimages to the Ocean is always a profound experience - it feels like having contact with a God - unfathomably large and impossible to know in entirety. Not sure if its a Therian related thing, but in terms of a deeply felt experience of connection to place it could be.
    "One does not meet oneself until one catches the recollection from an eye other than human" - Loren Eiseley

Me:
    *does something undesirable*

Them:
    Don't make me get out the cormorant roaster!