Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 20282930

Thread: Therian Daily Thought - The 5th!

Blog Entries

I think I actually had a bit of a mental shift tonight. That hasn't happened to me in years, but this one wasn't like the ones I had as a kid. This time, my actual narrated thoughts never stopped. I just really felt off, like I shouldn't have been doing anything I was doing, and I was really alert to everything going on around me.

Blog Entries

A couple months ago, the Indian Supreme Court approved a plan for the reintroduction of the African cheetah to the Indian subcontinent (rather than the Asiatic cheetah).

I'm glad--the debate was a good example, IMHO, of taxonomic splitting getting in the way of conservation. Been worried about it for a while.
    "If you are worthy of his affection, a cat will be your friend but never your slave. He keeps his free will though he loves, and will not do for you what he thinks unreasonable; but if he once gives himself to you, it is with absolute confidence and fidelity of affection." -Theophile Gautier

I'm surprised this is good news with the rate of India's illegal logging and/or urban development into protected forests. From the stories I've seen, projects get sneaked through or carried out without full approval. For example, they doubled the number of lanes on a road through a protected wildlife corridor and I'm thinking "Who the heck approved that?" More conservation projects in a country that can't fully handle what it has already seems a bit risky. Introducing cheetahs could be better than doing nothing, but we'll never know until the results are in.

Also, personally, I am in favor of keeping the genetic history of a subspecies intact, but from what I've read cheetahs are having a hard time with fertility so there is an over-riding priority to compensate that I understand.

Blog Entries

The subspecies that was native to India is the Asiatic cheetah. There are less than fifty left, all in Iran, none in captivity. They are almost certainly going to go extinct, and as far as I know ecologically they are pretty similar to the African subspecies chosen. In terms of the health of the ecosystem, ecological equivalency is what matters most.

As far as India's illegal logging and urban development issues... they're a problem, but India's a very large country, and they've made progress in some fields--like tiger numbers if this is accurate, though of course that trend may reverse, or have already reversed. I find it likely that where the reintroductions are happening, arrangements have been made to keep the population as safe as possible.
    "If you are worthy of his affection, a cat will be your friend but never your slave. He keeps his free will though he loves, and will not do for you what he thinks unreasonable; but if he once gives himself to you, it is with absolute confidence and fidelity of affection." -Theophile Gautier