Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Little Help Please?

well... shit when i was on radiation i balanced it with marijuana helped keep up appetite so maybe you can talk to the doctor about getting her on medicinal marijuana? cbd oil or something like that.
    may not be much, but every little bit is important in this kind of battle.
    "Kill one man, and you are a murderer. Kill millions of men, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god."
    Jean Rostand, Thoughts of a Biologist (1939)

Blog Entries

Sorry for disappearing, but life has been busy these last couple of months. The good news is that my mother is doing better now. She had a PET scan a while back that said the tumors have shrunk by 50%. There's been no significant regrowth since then, and for now they're doing immune therapy every three weeks.

Her hair is growing back, too. That's another good thing. My sister gave her this adorable little hat with a fluffy pompom on it, which is nice and warm. The people at the clinic have been very good to us, and when she went for her treatment earlier this month, the ladies at the clinic gave my mother a Christmas stocking full of presents, such as candy, socks and a coloring book.

Right now we're just taking it easy and enjoying the holidays together. So for the time being things are alright.

maybe you can talk to the doctor about getting her on medicinal marijuana? cbd oil or something like that.
    I had this discussion with two of our friends, both of them use marijuana for medicinal purposes. I believe it could be useful, but my when I talked with my mother about the possibility of her using it, she was against the idea. I can see why, though. Her ex-husband was a drug addict and a wife beater, so she has some negative views on drugs such as marijuana.

Maybe if things get worse she might change her mind. I know there are edibles that don't have the chemicals in them that make you high. I honestly thought she might be interested in those, because she loves her cookies and sweets.
    Last edited by Hazel Moon; December 20th, 2019 at 04:45 AM.

Blog Entries

Things kind of went downhill quickly at the beginning of the year.

It started on the thirteenth of last month. My mother was admitted to the hospital with side effects from her immune therapy. She had gone into kidney failure. Medical tests found she had heart failure as well. The next day I got a call from the hospital, saying that she had been placed on a ventilator because she had gone into respiratory failure.

They kept her on the ventilator for a week. After that she used a bi-pap machine from time to time, and they were discussing putting her into a care facility for rehabilitation, due to the fact that she had speech difficulties after being on a ventilator and couldn't swallow or eat solid foods. She also couldn't stand or walk and needed help with that too.

I was hoping she'd improve enough that she could go home. Four to six weeks in a facility, they said. Then earlier this week I got the call that she needed to be put back in life support. They said at this point in time she wouldn't survive even if they put her on the ventilator. It would do more harm than good, they told me. They said the same thing about dialysis, stating that her blood pressure was so low that another treatment could cause her to have a heart attack.

They suggested I put her on comfort care and let her pass peacefully. I know from previous conversations with my mother that she didn't want to be kept alive on life support if there was no chance that she would get better. There's just no real quality of life at point. She wouldn't even be living, she'd just be existing.

She passed yesterday afternoon. I was afraid she'd go while I wasn't there, so I stayed at the hospital, talking, holding her hand, just trying to provide comfort until she finally left this world.

I have the support of some good friends. One of them is taking me into town tomorrow so we can we can pay for everything and select an urn. After that my mother's ashes will be buried alongside her parents.

This place feels kind of empty now, without her warmth and laughter. I still have my mate with me though, so I'm not alone. But she will be missed. I loved her so much. At least I have the comfort of knowing that she isn't suffering anymore.
    Last edited by Hazel Moon; February 4th, 2020 at 11:38 PM.

Oh dear, I'm sorry to hear of your Mother's passing. But as you said, she's not suffering anymore and can be at peace. It's good you have a support system to help you through this time.

I am so sorry Hazel! Losing someone close to you fucking sucks.

*offers thoughts and prayers for you and her* May she rest peacefully and may you remember the good times.

"That's wolves for ya', good guys!" -Wolf, t10k
    wolf/werewolf | 37 | female | writer | scuba diver | funny | chaotic good | Hufflepuff | eclectic witch

I am so sorry to hear of your loss, Hazel. I was there in my mom's final moments as well and I know how difficult it can be. I know afterwards, it felt empty, but I also couldn't believe it. I was in shock for a long time after her passing. Just know that I can certainly relate, at least to some degree, on what you're going through. If you need anyone to talk to, especially someone who was present for a loved one's passing, you can always reach out to me. I'm most reachable by Telegram or Twitter under the username AnuolfRaccoon, but you can always send me an email sixnco@gmail.

The first year is often the most difficult, and you'll probably have a resurgence of grief around the anniversary. So feel free to get in touch whenever, however, and as much as you like.

Blog Entries

I'm sorry for your loss.
    "If you are worthy of his affection, a cat will be your friend but never your slave. He keeps his free will though he loves, and will not do for you what he thinks unreasonable; but if he once gives himself to you, it is with absolute confidence and fidelity of affection." -Theophile Gautier

Blog Entries

I'm so sorry to hear this. What an arduous journey you've been though. All my condolences. Please take care of yourself. <3