Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Differences between therian communities across sites

Blog Entries

Default Differences between therian communities across sites

I've noticed (and it seems a lot of other therians have too) that therian communities can differ quite a lot. For example, I used to interact with therians and otherkin on tumblr. A lot of them are younger, have more unusual views and there's a lot of divinekin and fictionkin. In places like this, we seem to be older and have more 'normal' identities. Why do you think this is? Or if you completely disagree with me on this let me know haha

Different communities exist for different user needs. A lot of younger people tend to gravitate to faster forms of media: Facebook, Tumblr, Amino, Discord servers, etc. Places where it's more chat/instant communication. Whereas older people seem drawn to long-form communication like forums, email groups, etc.

I think it also depends where you started hanging out first. If you started discussing therianthropy on an Amino server, you're more likely to stay there rather than venture here. I started here, and I prefer more thought-out communication, so forums are my preference.

"That's wolves for ya', good guys!" -Wolf, t10k
    wolf/werewolf | 37 | female | writer | scuba diver | funny | chaotic good | Hufflepuff | eclectic witch

Communities can reflect the age of the setting. Werelist has been around for quite a while so you tend to see an older demographic. As a general rule, those who are older have had more time to come to terms and learn to deal with whatever identity they may have. In other words, we are adults, and have to act like it. By contrast, Tumblr isn't as old - although it's starting to get there by now, isn't it? Hmm.

And yes, environments have certain spheres of acceptable dialogue. For example, I have been in therian groups where saying you're a fictionkin would subject you to mockery. I have been in groups where some folks believe they can shapeshift. And everything in between. In some places, having a fantastical identity can gain you popularity. In others, not so much.
    “If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - for ever.”

The evolution of the Tumblr Otherkin community has been rough to be part of and just to watch. Years ago, when it was small and more intimate, keeping track of it and feeling good about engaging with it was the good shit. However, around 2014-2015 it began to shift into some wicked bastardization, a shadow of how it used to be. People starting using kin as a verb and the headache from that has never quite gone away. I have a lot of thoughts about Modern Kin. Most of them are accompanied by teeth and swears.

Blog Entries

What's the worst therian/otherkin thing you've seen on tumblr? I honestly don't know what mine is anymore tbh. It's all one big blur of yikes

Oh it's not just Tumblr, it is Vent too. And Therian stuff is generally not as bad. And I say Therian because people who know, understand, and use that term tend to be decent more often than not. Cuz some people say Animalkin instead and it makes my teeth itch.

As for some of the worst shit? Someone identifying as types of wind, types of light, forms of water, and several other things. I'm talking 20+. The same fucking person. Not in a Shapeshifter way either, mind you.

Also every time I hear people talk about picking up, dropping, or not wanting a "kin" I lose a little more of my lifespan.

I have spoken before (probably redundantly at this point) how discovering otherkin through Tumblr pushed me away from the community and label for years. Finding forums was a blessing.

Blog Entries

The worst thing I think I've seen (I can't remember where) was a person basically listing most of the symptoms of depression and then asking 'does this mean I'm voidkin?'.

Blog Entries

I'm a part of three communities right now, Werelist, kinmunity, TG. They are all different but have changed over time as well. Werelist and TG were always more therian oriented in the past but that has changed. Kinmunity has and is still mostly an otherkin hub. I enjoy all three, and they are as stated above different for different needs of whoever joins.
    Timber wolf therian-- changeling-- horse hearted
    ~Being kin is a journey of finding yourself, loosing yourself, searching and doing it all over again.~

I joined a few therian sites over the years, Manly Werelist and Therian guide but what I seen when it comes to therian related topics is that we pretty much ask the same questions. I really don't see a big differences in therians trying to discover themselves or asking questions when it comes to the different therian sites.