Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Differences between therian communities across sites

I've been around for some time now, next year will be 20 years in the community in general, and specifically with Werelist. I've seen so many claims I'm sure I could write a book on it. It ranges from the banal to the... cringe-worthy.

Claims of shapeshifting are pretty common, maybe not so much as before, but still crops up from time to time. People claiming that they have 20+ theriotypes/kintypes. People claiming that the animal they really really like is a therio/kintype, and then when they no longer really really like that animal, it suddenly becomes the next animal that they really really like. But one that really bothers me is the idea that ANYTHING is a possible kintype. Like, one that I experienced first hand was someone claiming they identified AS a storm. Or another that claimed they were the emotion anger.

I've always been on the fence of fictionkin, it's one thing to identify as something from say, historical records or stories [such as dragons, or various folklore creatures]. But I have a really hard time believing anyone who claims to be a specific character. Everyone that I've come across who claims such has always had the typical symptoms of seeing themselves in said character [relating to them, or identifying with certain aspects either in personality or experiences]. Which, is the whole point of good character development, you want the audience to be drawn in by likeable or relatable characters. And these kids see this relatability as some sort of kintype...

I have a lot of... I wouldn't say hatred, being too strong a word, but rather contempt? for the more modern idea of what otherkin and therianthropy have sort of evolved into on different platforms. As someone who is both therian and transgender, the experiences I have of the two are quite similar. But when I had learned of this new idea of nounself pronouns, it made me angry. Nounself pronouns are like instead of he/him or they/them, it was like wolf/wolfself. That really really bugged me. And I will admit it brings out the worst in me and I have gone off on a few claiming such.

I don't know, perhaps it was just my "upbringing" on Werelist to have a natural skepticism and to question everything before accepting it as something serious like a therio/kintype. Werelist has always taught the idea that while we identify as a certain animal or animals, we are still very much human and need to hold ourselves as well-adjusted and mature additions to society. Basically, save the urges and desires for when you're in private or good company. I also come from a time when therianthropy really wasn't something readily discussed or admitted to in public. I see so many kids these days asking how to "come out" to their friends or school or parents. Many of them use it as an excuse to wear fox tails [real or faux] out, especially to school. Perhaps I'm just getting old and "set in my ways," but therianthropy was never something anyone else needed to know about, it wasn't something that would affect who you brought home to meet your parents, it wouldn't affect how or who you introduced yourself as, and so forth.

I still can't get over the person who claimed to be Universekin... As in, the entire universe and everything contained in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Anuolf View Post
    I still can't get over the person who claimed to be Universekin... As in, the entire universe and everything contained in it.
    Phenomenal cosmic power...itty bitty living space!

Sorry, I couldn't resist! :P

"That's wolves for ya', good guys!" -Wolf, t10k
    wolf/werewolf | 37 | female | writer | scuba diver | funny | chaotic good | Hufflepuff | eclectic witch

Glaux, now I'm remembering that in the past I've seen someone identify as radioactivity and another as influenza. And that was before the Great Kinnie Boom.

Honestly yeah it's literally a highly personal thing. Choosing to share it with others you trust is one thing. But trying to figure how to "come out" to people as Otherkin? Is just whoosh to me. They strut mightily with their certainty that oh yes I'm DEFINITELY all these things. Till it's not fun anymore.

Don't even get me started on on kinnies with an unfinished source material and how they react to each update.

Blog Entries

But I have a really hard time believing anyone who claims to be a specific character. Everyone that I've come across who claims such has always had the typical symptoms of seeing themselves in said character [relating to them, or identifying with certain aspects either in personality or experiences]. Which, is the whole point of good character development, you want the audience to be drawn in by likeable or relatable characters. And these kids see this relatability as some sort of kintype...
    I also have a difficult time understanding how people differentiate between a fictional character who's very similar to humans--like, say, T'Pol--and... well, typical human variation. A Vulcan is basically a human with strong emotions who tries to suppress their emotions, at least behaviorally. Perhaps I put too much of an emphasis on behaviors and urges, but I'm used to think of things like past-life memories and emotional resonance as of secondary importance.

Werelist has always taught the idea that while we identify as a certain animal or animals, we are still very much human and need to hold ourselves as well-adjusted and mature additions to society. Basically, save the urges and desires for when you're in private or good company. I also come from a time when therianthropy really wasn't something readily discussed or admitted to in public. I see so many kids these days asking how to "come out" to their friends or school or parents. Many of them use it as an excuse to wear fox tails [real or faux] out, especially to school. Perhaps I'm just getting old and "set in my ways," but therianthropy was never something anyone else needed to know about, it wasn't something that would affect who you brought home to meet your parents, it wouldn't affect how or who you introduced yourself as, and so forth.
    I have to point out that, as I recall, a good portion of this was always due to fear. You try and repress the urges and desires except when you're in private or good company because you're worried about getting fucked over if you're seen as abnormal. Of course, a lot of them really are the sort of stuff that it's either not healthy to indulge or there are good reasons not to do around other people... but if you're going to be critiquing society, I don't see a really compelling reason why someone snarling like a wolf should necessarily be more inappropriate than other expressions of intense anger.

As urges go, it's a not particularly significant one. And it's not necessarily a fight that's worth having, and unless society undergoes major changes you've got to deal with it as the way it is. But there's a good argument to be made that society is arbitrary about these things, and maybe it ought not to be.

Similarly, while therianthropy might be the sort of thing that you don't go around telling everyone, neither is religion... but people are afraid to say that they're therian, and when people are afraid to say that they belong to a particular religion, we recognize that that's pretty fucked up. I don't want to tell everyone, but I think we'd all appreciate not having to worry about other people's reactions if they did know.

Quote Originally Posted by Burd View Post
    Glaux, now I'm remembering that in the past I've seen someone identify as radioactivity and another as influenza. And that was before the Great Kinnie Boom.
    How is that even supposed to work?
    "If you are worthy of his affection, a cat will be your friend but never your slave. He keeps his free will though he loves, and will not do for you what he thinks unreasonable; but if he once gives himself to you, it is with absolute confidence and fidelity of affection." -Theophile Gautier

Bold of any one of us to assume it works lmao. Sometimes people are just the most bizarre versions of themselves possible. Here's hoping both of these people have wisened up since I saw this stuff.

Blog Entries

Uggh, tumblr therians. I've heard several horror stories (some from Vyt) about them. I try to be openminded and non-judgemental about others' experiences and beliefs, but everything I've heard about them, they're wannabes. I suspect they are very, very confused on what therianthropy is. Like, "identifying spiritually as an animal". Where we use "identify" like having a driver's license, this indicates who we are, but I think they use it as having an association. Like, "I identify with the Hong Kong protesters, their struggle resonates with my dissatisfaction with local politics".

So, for them, therian is about wish fulfillment. And something they'll be bored of within a year or so. Also, tumblr is one of those communities that acts as a popularity contest where one cares about number of followers, likes, reposts and fan adoration, especially when nasty people call you out for being a poser.

My experience was being involved in the alt.horror.werewolves newsgroup, then the assorted irc servers (slash, firelion, crossroads) and now Crossroads on Telegram where the other members were supportive, but not easily impressed. Your value was not based on how many animal souls you claimed to have, but your character. So you claim to be a wolf, or you claim to be a dozen animals. So you claim to be Pikachukin or every night's dream involves you flying over Narnia on eagle wings. So what? How interesting are *you* to be around. What's your thoughts on movies or politics or chocolate chip cookies.

Forever Running, RunningRed

I have a lot of... I wouldn't say hatred, being too strong a word, but rather contempt? for the more modern idea of what otherkin and therianthropy have sort of evolved into on different platforms. As someone who is both therian and transgender, the experiences I have of the two are quite similar. But when I had learned of this new idea of nounself pronouns, it made me angry. Nounself pronouns are like instead of he/him or they/them, it was like wolf/wolfself. That really really bugged me. And I will admit it brings out the worst in me and I have gone off on a few claiming such.
    Personally, I don't have a problem with nounself pronouns per se, but they are horribly misunderstood/misused. As a trans person myself I use neopronous. Neopronouns have existed for decades (thon proposed in 1858) and they can be, essentially, a radical statement. This post covers what I'm trying to express pretty well. Where I start to feel uncomfortable/against it is where people assume being otherkin makes you trans (it does not) that noun self pronouns are necessary if you are otherkin (nope) and that noun self pronouns are for otherkin (they are for trans/nonbinary people, who may or may not be 'kin at the same time).
    Last edited by Vyt; September 17th, 2019 at 06:53 PM. Reason: clarification

Blog Entries

Places without surface tension are the worst places to end up both for new and for old... The ‘kinnie boom’ (thank you so much for that term lmao) isn't a disaster in itself, but just emblematic of the zeitgeist: mixum-gatherum hipster collage identities without a trace of thought or originality but just combined in a way to maximize uniqueness. It's an easy no-effort shortcut for any outsider/nerd to be singular and potentially popular and to connect with a bunch of others. I'm sure what I'm saying has been said before. My point is that in a lot of the modern ‘kin’ it's not a legitimate identity but just another pseudo-artistic collage. It has absolutely jack shit to do with identity and self-discovery and everything to do with cliques and belonging, and the lack of effort (critical thinking included) shows.
    A negative number was raised to a power that is not an integer.

Quote Originally Posted by R Swan View Post
    Places without surface tension are the worst places to end up both for new and for old... The ‘kinnie boom’ (thank you so much for that term lmao) isn't a disaster in itself, but just emblematic of the zeitgeist: mixum-gatherum hipster collage identities without a trace of thought or originality but just combined in a way to maximize uniqueness. It's an easy no-effort shortcut for any outsider/nerd to be singular and potentially popular and to connect with a bunch of others. I'm sure what I'm saying has been said before. My point is that in a lot of the modern ‘kin’ it's not a legitimate identity but just another pseudo-artistic collage. It has absolutely jack shit to do with identity and self-discovery and everything to do with cliques and belonging, and the lack of effort (critical thinking included) shows.
    What worries me is the amount of kids who sweep themselves into the whole Kinnie Craze. You got people 13-17 who throw everything they have/are into this then when they got one speed bump they don't know how to handle it. And it will wear down your mental health rapidly in that kinda situation. It is creating more ill adjusted young adults than it is helping.

Blog Entries

What's creating the ill-adjusted kids is their families, their peers, their social context. All the kin stuff is just a very unhealthy coping mechanism combined with an outlet for creativity, and it only serves to make them sound dumb. I'd be surprised if the majority of them even really bought into half the bullshit they've made up. It's probably kinda more like a cult, where they know it's a load of hokum but are in too deep or have invested too much in it to easily renounce it. Also it's an amazingly convenient pretext for going on righteous crusades and play blame games and victims. Boo hoo they're closed minded and oppressing me waah...
    A negative number was raised to a power that is not an integer.