Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Halloween 2019!

Blog Entries

Most likely carve pumpkins with my best friend and visit my favourite nana like last year. I'll make pumpkin soup with the insides, I do need to get my hands on a stick blender tho I can never get the right texture with a potato masher.

This year i think im going to hang with my friends and get sum free candy :] and ill definitely go into the woods and run around, lov me some nice fall weather!

Blog Entries

If you can't get enough of Hocus Pocus they are doing an all day marathon of it on the channel Freeform on Halloween itself. Thought I might mention since several others said they like it
    Last edited by Ashoka; October 6th, 2019 at 05:02 PM.

Not sure what I will be doing. Most likely nothing.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lopori View Post
    Most likely carve pumpkins with my best friend and visit my favourite nana like last year. I'll make pumpkin soup with the insides, I do need to get my hands on a stick blender tho I can never get the right texture with a potato masher.
    HIGHLY recommend the stick/immersion blender. I basically got mine specifically for pumpkin and butternut squash soups. It is SO MUCH EASIER. I used to scoop out a bit at a time and put it through my regular blender, but then I'd have to dirty both the blender AND a second pot.

I also think I'm getting a smoother texture from the immersion blender. It's great. I'm looking forward to using it for more soups - like with potato soups, you can partially blend it with the stick so you get a thicker texture but still have chunks. Since I often feel a bit sick from creamy soups (as much as I love them), I'll probably be trying to blend up potatoes as thickeners to reduce the dairy.

I'm looking up more crockpot meals to try out. I've gotten my mate on a schedule where we take nightly half-hour strolls and then a good big hike on Sundays, with a good home-cooked meal to come back to. This week was the butternut squash soup and roast winter vegetables and before that was a turkey chili.

We actually went in the mountains this Sunday to see the aspens all nice and gold and it was pretty nippy, so coming home to soup was great.

The frequent outings are really helping us enjoy the season to its fullest too.

I requested it off work and got approved so at least I will not be working! Not sure if there's anything I can actually do, but we will see. Going to our favorite local metaphysical shop tomorrow to get stuff to help get rid of a shitty entity that has been bothering is here, though, at least. So you can at least check witchcraft on the list lmao.

I also have a handheld immersion blender I bought when I started making homemade pumpkin pies from a real pie pumpkin. It does an amazing job getting a nice consistency for the cooked pumpkin when I'm making the "pumpkin glop" for the pie (The homemade version of what you get in a can). It gets all the strings out of the cooked pumpkin and gives it a nice smooth texture. I've also used it in homemade mushroom soups to give it more thickening and to make it creamier without adding anything extra into it.

Kiso, if you want to try and thicken soups without adding dairy, the starches from potatoes like you mention works well. You can also use cornstarch too. I've use it a lot when I make pot roasts to make the gravy a bit thicker so it's not as water-y.

Blog Entries

Hmm. You just stick it in a bowl where you've got scooped out squash and the soup base and turn it on? Sounds pretty simple; I think I'll try it too. We did get a butternut squash.

Thinking of also trying this.
    "If you are worthy of his affection, a cat will be your friend but never your slave. He keeps his free will though he loves, and will not do for you what he thinks unreasonable; but if he once gives himself to you, it is with absolute confidence and fidelity of affection." -Theophile Gautier

cheetah - It is pretty easy to use, but you want to make sure you submerge the immersion blender deep enough into the soup mixture otherwise you'll have soup spluttering all over creation (I know from experience, lol).

Blog Entries

Rewatched Hocus Pocus last night. My fiance did not remember the movie because we hadn't watched it together in years! But I grew up on it so much I've practically got it memorized. It was still awesome, though. Seriously among my favorite movies.

We've been really lucky to have some more warm and mild days despite having gotten snow once already. I'm enjoying the heck out of it. It smells and looks like perfect October.