Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Halloween 2019!

Quote Originally Posted by Kisota View Post
    Rewatched Hocus Pocus last night. My fiance did not remember the movie because we hadn't watched it together in years! But I grew up on it so much I've practically got it memorized. It was still awesome, though. Seriously among my favorite movies.
    I grew up on this movie too and CAN basically do it line-by-line (much to the annoyance of anyone watching it with me!). Although I'm saving my annual watch for the week of Halloween.

Quote Originally Posted by Kisota View Post
    It smells and looks like perfect October.
    Yes, here too finally!

"That's wolves for ya', good guys!" -Wolf, t10k
    wolf/werewolf | 37 | female | writer | scuba diver | funny | chaotic good | Hufflepuff | eclectic witch

So I decided to skip out on the local Autumn Festival this year, mostly because of the mate's (husband) work schedule. We decided it's just not worth dealing with the heaps of crowds to get foodstuffs. That said, what we ARE planning on doing is making our own homemade foods! Which will probably be a heck of a lot cheaper anyway.

I got a warty orange pumpkin to decorate the front porch.

Still need to watch Hocus Pocus.

I've made 2 homemade pumpkin pies so far. It's about time for a 3rd pie soon!

Hmmm, that's about it. I also want to make something out of apples soon.

Blog Entries

I saw your pie photos, Som!! I haven't made a homemade one this year. I think I posted the one I did last year? It was very over the top, haha.

I haven't really made any seasonal treats yet. I'm basically done with my weight cut, so I'm contemplating bringing treats for some social gatherings, whenever they come up. A local friend is planning a get-together for the week after Halloween to make caramel apples. I'm not huge on those, but I think I might make some pumpkin bars / cupcakes. Also bringing sourdough starter to share. I'm kind of wondering whether the sourdough would make an interesting addition to the pumpkin yeast rolls I made last year. Just afraid it might make them denser than I'd like for a soft roll.

My fiance and I are planning on going to a "movie party" at a local theater to watch the movie Friday the 13th next week! We went to one of these movie parties to see Moulin Rouge, another favorite, last winter. It's fun - they pass out silly favors and you are allowed to cheer and boo and interact - it's a bit like a Rocky Horror Picture Show showing.

The local burlesque theater has a Halloween performance going on, too. I've been to their shows twice now (and only missed a third one because of bad weather), so that's always tempting!

I FINALLY got my pumpkin spice latte today! WHOOOOOOO!

Also walked around a local pottery store which has a very large outdoor space for walking, which they had completely decorated with pumpkins and various tacky inflatable Halloween decorations!

I also found a new brand of hard cider called "Wicked Grove" at Aldi's (grocery store that specializes in German imports) as well as scoring a bottle of German mulled wine called "Christkindl Gluhwein". I was hoping to find pfeffernusse (spiced cookies) but it's still a bit early as they usually sell them closer to the Christmas season. So I will have to wait until November to get my fix!

I think that's all the Autumn-y things I did for the day. :<
    Last edited by Somnia; October 19th, 2019 at 09:42 PM.

Kinda forgot Halloween parties were going to happen, and once again didn't think about a costume until the end of the month. Usually I end up just not dressing up, but I kind of want to see if I can somehow get something together in a week that's half-decent.

Blog Entries

Where were the pie photos?

I got my very own, picture perfect pumpkin this year, and it has already been properly roasted. I have no photos, but I do have two loaves of pumpkin bread and a bunch of muffins. I may have to get another one this year--lot of things you can do with squash, and roasting it was easy enough. And as I recall they were inexpensive, though I'm not sure if they were cheaper than butternut.

Adding sourdough to pumpkin bread sounds... interesting. Certainly sounds like it might be worth a shot with a very small batch.
    "If you are worthy of his affection, a cat will be your friend but never your slave. He keeps his free will though he loves, and will not do for you what he thinks unreasonable; but if he once gives himself to you, it is with absolute confidence and fidelity of affection." -Theophile Gautier

Attended our first Halloween party of the year on this past Saturday night! The local goth club did a costume party and we danced the night away! Super fun and very queer!

What remains is:
    • classic hokey-pokey halloween dinner
    • Vampire Ball
    • Rocky Horror Picture Show (interactive theater version)
    • Raid Area 51 work party

And of course the never ending list of movies to watch. We've made it through Hocus Pocus, Practical Magic, Beetlejuice and Over the Garden Wall. It's my personal goal to view all of the 'Halloweentown' movies - which I thought there was only two but apparently theres four.
    "One does not meet oneself until one catches the recollection from an eye other than human" - Loren Eiseley

I'll be Trick or Treating this year, and will probably be the last time I do so. I might also be exploring and finding places to do some autumn art, maybe even collect some leaves and such.

I'm celebrating my birthday in a few days, sadly, was hoping that the world ended yesterday, anyways I'm attending a church Halloween party this Saturday... Not sure about Halloween though, might ask my occultist firmed if he has any plans, because I'm sure he's doing something

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aquatic Raider View Post
    Attended our first Halloween party of the year on this past Saturday night! The local goth club did a costume party and we danced the night away! Super fun and very queer!

What remains is:
    • classic hokey-pokey halloween dinner
    • Vampire Ball
    • Rocky Horror Picture Show (interactive theater version)
    • Raid Area 51 work party

And of course the never ending list of movies to watch. We've made it through Hocus Pocus, Practical Magic, Beetlejuice and Over the Garden Wall. It's my personal goal to view all of the 'Halloweentown' movies - which I thought there was only two but apparently theres four.
    Those sound like a LOT of fun things.

I adore Over the Garden Wall. It has such a wholesome and yet perfectly October aesthetic feel to it. Also great cast.

And Beetlejuice is on my list, too. I know I saw it when I was young!