Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Covid-19 thread: Prepping thoughts, news and discussion goes here.

Here in Russia situation is not really better.

Yes, it's lagging behind somewhat. And if you look on numbers it may seems better, but it is only because of lack of diagnostics and still not widely available tests in many regions. And it catching up very fast, about 20% new confirmed cases per day.

With heavily degraded healthcare system, and a lots of ignorance and stupidity cultivated by our government for the last 10 years, it has all the potential to become worse than in Itlay.

Combine this with new chapter of political bullshit, economic crisis, and very real potential of upcoming extreme wildfires because of the warmest winter in the history, with almost no snow in European part.

I'm definitely not happy about this. I've planned new travels this year, including search for real estate in the region, where I want to move. And it all will be cancelled or delayed for unknown time. My primary way of travelling - hitchhiking - also not safe now, so I'm stuck in the region where I live. More or less.

If situation will become worse (mainly because of our stupid government reaction), I'll probably dry some meat, take my backpack, assemble my catamaran and sail away. Luckily there is a big river only 500 meters from my home. And it is possible to get to some good places along it. Actually, third set of photos in this post: https://www.werelist.net/showthread....649#post303649

If it's inevitable to be stuck somewhere until this will over, It's more pleasant to be somewhere in natural environment far away from humans and without movement restrictions...

...significant fraction of the country seems to be determined to understate the problem anyway by comparing it with the flu.
    Actually, same reaction here.
    Last edited by Forest Wind; March 31st, 2020 at 10:27 AM.

I have mostly "obsolete" military field gear, I saw obsolete because it's the older US woodland equipment used from 1981 to 2005, but it works for my region, I have 4 of the 1t Canteens with covers, ALICE pack with LC2 frame and quick release straps, Modular sleep system with Bivvy, a ww2 era Cattaraugus 225Q, which is similar to a ka-bar but is a full inch shorter and weighs sveral ounces more(the issued left handed sheath is damaged making it unsafe for carrying), will likely use the shorter and lighter but made from less desirable 420HC steel as opposed to 1095, Gerber strongarm... I have a full set of military LBE gear, compass, right angle flashlight, and a pair of jungle boots

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Anuolf View Post
    But I'm fine staying home and isolating myself, perks of being an introvert is generally being happy to have a reason to not leave your home and to not have to go to work lol
    Same for me. I know some people who are struggling with the social isolation right now, but for me I'm actually comfortable this way. I grew up outside of town without kids my age or contact outside my family, and I'm the kind of quiet person who likes to be left alone to do their own thing. So I'm content staying where I'm at.

In terms of food, I do have a small stockpile of canned meats that could probably last a week or two. I started stocking up on canned meats and soups last year during California's lovely power outages so we'd have something to eat when there was no electricity. I also restocked my supply of cat food and cat litter, buying some extra so my babies can continue to eat.

I'm honestly scared to walk out of my home right now. I left once earlier this week to get more food (first time I've been out since the end of February), and have been stressing over it ever since. It doesn't help that my current financial situation can only be resolved with money in a trust that my mother left me, and I'll probably have to dip into that later this month if I don't receive one of those checks they're sending out. Either way, I'll probably end up making a trip out to the bank, and I really don't want to leave the house right now.

But on the bright side, I have one of those N95 masks and a couple pairs of gloves. I wore them when I went out on Monday. At first I felt a little silly, putting them on in the car before I left to do my shopping. But considering everything that's happening around me, I'd rather do everything I can to protect myself if I have to leave the house.
    Last edited by Hazel Moon; April 3rd, 2020 at 09:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cheetah View Post
    The hoarders are incredibly frustrating. I hate what they reveal about this country's capabilities to handle these problems.
    You ain't kidding!!! If people would just calm their ever-lovin' freakin' TUTS there would be plenty of supplies for everyone!

Blog Entries

It seems that the real danger here is going to be the economic one. 17 million Americans already out of a job already. The pace of devastation has far outstripped that of the stock market crash in 1929. A lot of people have been predicting an economic collapse on this scale for quite a long time, I don't think the virus caused that. Rather, it provided a pretext for it to begin.

As for the disease, we got lucky. The coronavirus is not looking particularly dangerous to people who are healthy. What this reveals, though, is that if next time we're less lucky and a pathogen that is truly deadly is unleashed, we'll be helpless to stop it. A lot of news corporations are really going full throttle to try to blame this on the incompetence or malfeasance of individual statesmen, but it's clear that this really has nothing to do with it. There are longstanding institutional problems in which all the political parties of note are completely and entirely complicit, not just in America, but abroad as well. The absolutely pitiful state of healthcare access in the United States, the gutting of the public healthcare system in European countries.. these were all bipartisan measures which had unanimous agreement across the governing parties and the loyal opposition.

It also seems like actually effective methods of quarantine were mostly out of the question for Western countries because of their political situation. Even if we accept that China is probably lying about their numbers, they have still done a remarkable job of containing the virus through the most extreme measures like martial law. There was no political will to do something like this in most countries because any attempt to do so would be cynically and ruthlessly exploited by the opposition. Italy instituted a limited martial law, but this was something of a joke. I think they had less than two dozen soldiers assigned to the entirety of Lombardy!

Again, we got lucky. This disease isn't really too bad, and it seems the true mortality rate could even be well under half of a percent. The current number of 3-4% is based only on officially reported and confirmed cases, which make up only a small fraction of the genuine number of infections. This is also borne out by the average age of the infected individual in France and Italy is 62. This suggests that the vast bulk of testing is concentrated on older people, as it should be; but it does not actually provide anything like an accurate picture of the whole reality.

Bottom line is that the 'unthinkable' happened, and the entire world was entirely unprepared. What about a more deadly disease in the future? What about climate catastrophe? Many people, myself included, have said for many years that the people running things will sit on their hands and do nothing in spite of the obvious and growing potential for catastrophe, and now it's happened. And it will happen again, too. I don't see many(if any) significant, permanent changes coming out of this, either. The world will be eager to go back to business as usual. Anything else would constitute, from the perspective of the market, an undue burden and further rattle an already shaky economy. There is no actual kind of real political opposition committed to change. Everyone is fanatically obsessed with some notion of lesser evilism, and that's how we got here. Everything has become its opposite; politicians elected on slogans of change like 'Abolish ICE' become active, eager collaborators complicit in the enforcement of the things they were sworn to destroy, etc, etc. Even the mere idea of a truly independent opposition is totally unthinkable today, it seems.

Make no mistake, this is a man made crisis. It probably wouldn't have even happened if China had actual food safety and hygiene standards(although one should not moralize about this: it's simply cheaper for China as an undeveloped country to not have such standards; while for developed countries like Britain it would actually be more expensive to eliminate regulations and safety than to enforce it. Law of the market, as with everything else on this planet). Even still, at every possible fault line everything was, at the least, inadequate. Don't think worse can happen? Just look at historical epidemics and the morality rates. Many of those diseases, even with modern medicine, have terrifyingly high mortality rates. Who is to say something like the bubonic plague couldn't happen again? We can no longer pretend to believe it's unthinkable.

To do something about it, contingencies would have to be baked into the system that factored in virtual cessation of economic activity. In a society where everything revolves around value and profit, it's utterly impossible. Such a system performs best when it just goes ahead blithely assuming summer weather will continue for eternity no matter the cost of being wrong. The pitfalls of a faith based social and economic system. What's the value of something? Whatever people believe it is. Everything revolves around keeping that belief, the illusion that things are doing well going and that value is high, going. When Donald Trump says that the country has to be reopened as soon as possible and economic activity resumed, it would be wrong to frame this as simply a "bad idea". He's actually just articulating what the market is going to demand and implement regardless of whether people think it's a good or bad idea. People like mystifying the issue by attempting to reduce huge, global, institutional problems to just a handful of individuals having bad ideas. Without a complete overhaul of the global social and economic system, there was never going to be any other option. The demand of the market is as inescapable and immutable as gravity. You either get rid of it, or succumb to it. No real middle ground. The illusions come afterwards when we try to reduce the mechanisms of a completely impersonal and totalistic system to the functionaries who simply carry it out. The market occasionally makes minor compromises, but the leeway given for what is seen by the market as an acceptable concession gets narrower and narrower with each year.

Now many people are predicting that with the Coronavirus, "everything will forever change"; I am making the exact opposite prediction. I think we'll see some sort of reforms related to bureaucracies overseeing preparedness for future catastrophes, but I think that for the most part this will simply be an aesthetic gesture designed to create the illusion of substantial contingency plans and prevention efforts. If there is change, it will be a reaction to the fact that the people running things will resist change. I am very curious to see how the fallout of the coronavirus is going to impact the European Union. Germany is doing very well in terms of deaths, remarkably well. It has a good healthcare system. Germany's economy, in contrast to Britain and the United States, is still largely driven by exports. This is only possible because the Eurozone includes poorer countries like Spain and Italy which in turn dramatically artificially decreases the value of currency in Germany and in turn makes the cost in Germany far cheaper than what it is really is. The thing is, the cost of German labor isn't really cheaper, rather that these costs are basically deferred to Spain, Greece, Italy, Portugal, etc. There is going to be a lot of resentment towards Germany's attitude of uncompromising and rapacious exploitation of the poorer Eurozone countries. There already was before this crisis happened.

I think the only realistic reform plan for a capitalist European Union is that proposed by former Greek finance minister Yannis Varoufakis and his DiEM movement. There has to be a common fiscal policy across all Eurozone countries, which would necessitate a substantial reduction in Germany's social programs and a corresponding increase in the social programs of the poorer countries like Italy and Spain. It is this disparity exactly that has led to the massive difference in Coronavirus death tolls between Italy and Spain on hand, and Germany on the other. So far, German statesmen and bureaucrats are utterly resistant to any idea of sharing. They insist that they can have their cake, and eat it too, all on a mound of Mediterranean corpses. As yet, they have been able to get away with such arrogance, but for how long? Despite losing two world wars, Germany is the undisputed master of Europe. They risk this house of cards toppling over unless they start making some compromises in my opinion.

But yes, I definitely think it's high time we look beyond the immediate horizon of the Coronavirus as just a health issue. It's accelerated a lot of social and political crises that have been simmering or ongoing for a long time. I'm very glad I still have a job(although I am unfortunately not rich and connected enough to have the fortune of a clerical job that you can do remotely). Something like 60% of Americans don't even have $500 in the bank(and this was before the stock market crash). It'd be nice to wait this thing out, but for most us not going to work just isn't an option.

My two cents. Good health to everyone.