Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Covid-19 thread: Prepping thoughts, news and discussion goes here.

Default Covid-19 thread: Prepping thoughts, news and discussion goes here.

How's the situation progressing in your neighborhood? What do you plan to do for preventative measures or in case of quarantine? Thoughts, discussion, relevant news and resource links go here.

Personally I've always been a prepper. I hunt and raise livestock and have ridiculously full freezers and something like 50 lbs of pemmican and jerky because I always do. Have laid in extra supplies of essential medications, installed a bidet (the toilet paper hoarding thing is going nuts in my area) and am WASHING THE FUCK OUT OF MY HANDS even more than usual. If shit really hits the fan I can probably feed a lot of people for a long time, possibly in perpetuity since one of my hobbies is historical cooking and food preservation. I know every edible wild plant and mushroom in the area and how to make it not just safe but actually tasty. I have plenty of guns and ammo and prefer bow hunting anyway. I'm good at it, which is why my freezers are ridiculously full. Might grab a few extra things while I can, but if quarantine hit today I'd be fine.

Panicking isn't appropriate, but clearly understanding that we're several weeks behind Italy and they're doing triage medicine over there under total lockdown probably is. Looking at which infrastructures are affected and which are not could be useful. I don't think we'll lose water or power soon if at all, for instance, so I'm not prioritizing coping strategies to deal with having to forage or generate my own. Medication though, especially ones dependent on some country specific supply chains, yeah. Those got stocked early in my house.

Add your thoughts here.

a) Well I know where I am bailing to once the shit really hits the fan (I doubt this one will be it, but it is an interesting social dynamic to watch).

b) We are frustratingly unprepared and its not like we have stored money to go buy supplies like this on short notice, one of the frustrations of living in a townhome/condo in an urban area, our self reliance is shit. Trying to stock as best we can little by little. Also doesn't help I am traveling so rest of family is trying to figure it out.

c) Most utilities still should operate bcs thankfully there are dedicated people that do that work, regardless. It is also a somewhat isolated job which probably helps!

d) Now I want a bidet .... have for a while and this is convincing me!

Currently good on rice and beans and other such things but very low on meat, hoping to change that when I get back, but it isn't like at the family farm where there are chasing off a herd of 100+ elk .... yeah they are not worried there!

Stay safe everyone!

Couple of random thoughts here. You can hack a really cheap bidet with anything that squirts a decent volume of water. They sell some angled nozzle ones for manual refill and squeezing. Pretty sure a small enema bottle (supposed to be disposable but could be re-used if only used externally and well cleaned between uses) is only a couple of bucks. There are wild plants that work fine as TP, but you will want to research that ahead and be sure enough of your ID skills that you aren't likely to run into anything irritating. Some plants that aren't irritating to touch with your hands could still be irritating on more sensitive tissue.

Low on vitamins and stuck on a limited diet? Pine needles and immature pine buds are damn high in vitamin C and make a tasty tea. Don't try it with yew; it's toxic and a lookalike.

Short on cough syrup and broke? Wild cherry bark is pretty damn effective when boiled as a strong decoction. Also has cyanoglycosides so don't overdo it. Doesn't take much to numb your throat. If you can't ID it confidently, don't go picking it, though. Lactuca (wild lettuce) and mullein are also up in some areas and could be at least somewhat handy as temporary palliatives. They aren't cure-alls though and if you pick the wrong thing you're in a lot more trouble than you started in.

Out of hand sanitizer? Consider UV sterilization for things like your glasses and phone, or an ozone unit. I already have ozone for my hunting clothes, so that was a no brainer. If you are trying for homemade hand sanitizer, total alcohol percentage needs to be 60% or greater, so 120 proof Everclear works. Anything below that, not so much. Sufficient time and scrubbing with soap and water works even better, but isn't practical for electronics so my gadgets are all doing time in an ozone cabinet that I originally set up to de-scent hunting clothes without detergent residue. You can get some inexpensive ozone units sold for hunting. At least you can now since I don't think many people have figured out that it's pretty effective against viruses. They will though.

A hunting weapon (if you have any place or ability to hunt at all) is a very good investment for times you aren't sure you will have access to a store. Urban squirrels and raccoons tend to be fat, dumb and delicious, easy bow kills. Pet safe raccoon traps are about $12 and they work very well if set correctly. Remove ALL gland tissue on a raccoon or it will taste awful. Salt and drying racks are also handy for meat preservation if the shit really hits the fan and you lose power. Pemmican is IMO the best means of long term meat preservation but there's a learning curve to making it and you need a good source of tallow. I use deer fat personally but not everyone likes the texture.

If you stock anything, I suggest personal care items and medication, nonperishable foodstuffs and hydrating drinks and easy to prepare food (canned soup and ramen, etc) first. It is unlikely we will lose power or water but not impossible. If you have pets, pet food, cat litter, etc, is another useful thing to have when the stores aren't accessible. I am also a big fan of being able to defend yourself at need, so if you don't have a firearm and you do feel comfortable having one, that's probably a good idea.

Add your thoughts as you have them. I don't think it is responsible to panic or to completely freak out, and this could have been a much more serious virus than it actually is in terms of mortality and transmission rate. But it is serious enough for the likely effect on economy and infrastructure as well as on the elderly and immune/respiratory compromised, and worth taking seriously. Look over at Italy and figure where they are now, we're going to be a few weeks after them, and get ready for that.
    Last edited by Savage; March 12th, 2020 at 09:55 PM.

I'm fairly good for food. I get Hello Fresh and Misfits Market delivered, so I'm not worried about that. I also have enough frozen meat to last at least a week's quarantine if need be. But honestly, I'm not too concerned about it for myself. I'm more concerned over those who are immunocompromised and the infants and elderly. I'm avoiding visiting my sister due to my place of work entails handling a lot of strangers' computers and phones and none of them actually clean either devices, like ever. It's gross.

I do well when I'm sick, if just miserable. But I'm fine staying home and isolating myself, perks of being an introvert is generally being happy to have a reason to not leave your home and to not have to go to work lol. I have enough sick time available where I don't have to worry about pay.

Back onto food topic, I have several bows and plenty of arrows so if I truly had to, I can hunt right from my house windows and porch for squirrels and possums. But also deer and turkey. I also have an acre and a half of mostly wooded area and a ton of rocks to which I can perch up on.

Blog Entries

The preppers have gone crazy, hoarding milk, yoghurt, fruit and all the other things that couldn’t possibly last for more than a week. And toilet paper of course. I have a couple of cans of pea soup in case I’ll get sick myself but otherwise I’m not too worried.

Update: Everything is closed now till further notice. Remember to wash your hands!
    Last edited by Sula; March 17th, 2020 at 03:17 PM.

This was the toilet paper aisle in my local grocery store last night at 9PM. People freaking the fuck out. The store is never that busy at night [which is why I go after work]. Fortunately, the only products I went in for were fully stocked lol [just some microwaveable soups].

Blog Entries

Did a little stocking up on some dry goods. The shop here in the town I'm in for work weren't really all that depleted right now. Unfortunately, because I'm living in the spare room of a warehouse, I don't exactly have the means of a lot of storage. Nor do I at home, for that matter, as I live in a small flat.

I've been asked not to travel already, so I'm strangely in sort of an opposite situation from most people. I'm not stuck working from home. I'm stuck at work and cannot go home.

The good news is I can basically safely continue my field work. Only two other people are really around at the warehouse, one of whom is my coworker on the project. And getting out for daily hikes is a relatively safe and nice thing to be able to do right now. I can slip ten minutes down the road to grab groceries when need be, but otherwise, I'm mostly good to hole up for a while. Gonna suck when I run out of contact lenses though.

I don't know when I'll be able to go home. It's not like it's going to become a BETTER idea anytime soon.

Doing well here in East Texas...

Granted there are currently 3 cases of people who have the virus in the city I work at but they are not community spread and are in self-quarantine in their homes. The reports say 2 caught it while they were traveling via airplane and the 3rd caught it from their husband (one of the travelers that I mentioned) while being in house-quarantine. The city of my place of work has declared a "Shelter-In-Place" for non-essential folks, but it's more of a recommendation to stay home and not enforced the way "Lockdowns" are.

I still work doing sleep studies but we are limited to doing Diagnostic Only studies. We don't utilize CPAP machines for in-lab studies AT ALL on anyone because of the risk of spreading the COVID-19 virus via aerosolization from CPAP use. Patient's who need CPAP can still get it in their homes but it would be ordered by their physician and would most likely be an Auto-CPAP which would fluctuate based on the patient's "breath by breath" needs.

We're considered non-essential and one of the very few sleep centers that are actually still open in the area. It's only a matter of time before we're temporarily closed until further notice.

As far as what I'm doing, I'm staying very far away from my Gran (my last living Grandparent) who is being well cared for by other relatives who are not involved in healthcare position, and I'm going out as little as possible. It hasn't been much of a huge change for me since I tend to be a bit of a home body with "once in a blue moon" urges to want to go out and "window shop" and/or basically fart around in town for no reason (lol). I'm only going out for essential needs not only for myself, but things that others I know are looking for might need. So I'm "on the hunt" for others needs as well as my own.

I have a nice stock of stuff and things to last me a good while before things get desperate, but hopefully I will be able to replenish some goods when people decide to not act like lunatics buying everything and leaving hardly nothing for others.

There truly isn't a shortage of supplies and essentials, it's those who panic-hoard which is causing things to be "falsely" limited which does nothing but fuel the panic in most people.
    Last edited by Somnia; March 27th, 2020 at 12:24 AM.

Blog Entries

I had a pretty nerve wracking day this past week where I had to wait for news on whether my work was about to be totally canned as non-essential. Thankfully that didn't happen. It would be pretty stupid to be prevented from doing field work right now, since being out in nature is one of the safest things to be doing.

It's such a strange time, you guys. I'm in a pretty safe place right now, but come mid-May when things are really at a peak, I'm going to have to return to the populated side of the state and start trying to help with more indoor lab work, which is necessary for us to be able to do much of the field work. I'm pretty nervous about it... not so much for my own sake, but because I do not want to contribute to the spread.

Anyone else absolutely LIVID about some of the news? Can we talk about that a little? I can't overstate how angry, frustrated, and horrified I am at the way the federal government is responding to this. Some of what the President and some other elected officials have said or implied are irresponsible or blatantly inhumane. Actual human lives are being lost as a result of this unpreparedness and unwillingness to take preventative action.

None of us have ever lived through something like this. I know plenty of us will remember other globally-important events and tragedies. It's exhausting living through one that takes so long, though. And very scary watching the numbers start to turn to names of people we know.

Please do not underestimate the impact you as an individual can have on the community if you fail to properly isolate yourself or don't use good techniques for preventing the spread.

Blog Entries

Yeah, it's bad--the lack of action and the denial that this is a serious problem. Even with the social distancing measures we're looking at tens of thousands of deaths, and a significant fraction of the country seems to be determined to understate the problem anyway by comparing it with the flu. And it's worse than the flu; it's more infectious and deadlier, but people believe the misinformation from the top.

I really wish my state acknowledged the problem more. Case numbers are skyrocketing, and while it hasn't hit my city yet (that we know of), we had one very close miss.

Quote Originally Posted by Somnia View Post
    There truly isn't a shortage of supplies and essentials, it's those who panic-hoard which is causing things to be "falsely" limited which does nothing but fuel the panic in most people.
    The hoarders are incredibly frustrating. I hate what they reveal about this country's capabilities to handle these problems.
    "If you are worthy of his affection, a cat will be your friend but never your slave. He keeps his free will though he loves, and will not do for you what he thinks unreasonable; but if he once gives himself to you, it is with absolute confidence and fidelity of affection." -Theophile Gautier