Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is something you've learned from the pandemic so far?

Blog Entries

Default What is something you've learned from the pandemic so far?

Whether it's good or bad. It could be a life lesson. It could be literally a new skill that you've picked up. It could be the realization that you and your mate don't cohabit well during quarantine. It could be a broader observation about human behaviour during a global pandemic.

I've learned that outdoors is necessary. Full stop. I need to hike, climb trees, play disc golf, go birding, catch and band birds, do some gardening, take up archery . . . I just can't be cooped up. Otherwise, I give in to depression.

I've learned that I enjoy being someone who listens to people who are seriously depressed, even suicidal, because quarantine has pushed vulnerable people to the brink.

I've also learned how dependent I am on Amazon. Which isn't a good thing, considering what I've heard about how they treat their workers. I'd support local businesses in most instances if I had both the transportation and the cash.

What are your own thoughts?

I learned that I thrive in chaos. The people all panic and I'm just over in my corner like "this is fine, no big deal". There is actually a sort of meme going around that not being panicked/not caring about the pandemic is the result of growing up in chaotic environments. Being used to chaos as a result. I am not sure how true it is. If it is true, I guess I learned a bit about an upbringing I barely remember in the process as well thanks to the pandemic.

Blog Entries

It can also be the opposite - some of the people feeling less distressed about the situation are that way because they are privileged enough not to be under as much duress as others.

A few things come to mind for me, mostly matters of perspective - though I keep telling myself I'm going to get around to working with my lock pick set.

But here's some things the situation has highlighted for me:
    * on the plus side, it's made me very aware of some of the privileges I have. I still have my job. What's more, my job is keeping me outside and far away from people. My partner actually just got a new job right before this started, too, and he's able to work remotely. I'm not sure what life will look like for me post-field season... but that's not really outside the norm.

I have not been able to go home during this field project, so it will have been two months by the time I get back. But even that is something my lifestyle has included before. So really, a lot of the weirdness this has introduced is stuff I'm used to.

* In a more general sense, I am aware how much the instability of my adult lifestyle has made me able to weather chaotic new conditions. I'm used to plans changing suddenly, moving around, being isolated, etc.

* On a more depressing note, I am also more aware how much I've really had to sacrifice for my work. It's always been hard moving away from friends and family. But it's been especially painful having my loved ones mostly living in other states and so far away, now being unsure how long it might be until I can see them. I worry for their health. It really makes you think about how limited the time we have with one another is.

Blog Entries

I've learned the depths people will go to to judge and shame others, I've learned how willing people are to report eachother to the police for minor infractions and noncompliance, I've learned how much mental health posting on social media is meaningless slacktivism now people suddenly forgot mental illness exists and is caused and/or made worse by being isolated.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lopori View Post
    I've learned the depths people will go to to judge and shame others, I've learned how willing people are to report eachother to the police for minor infractions and noncompliance
    This, so much. I really wish people would calm the fuck down. (My own former anger issues notwithstanding.) People really suck in the way they treat each other.

Blog Entries

ALSO LEARNED:

Folks really screw up mask-wearing a LOT. So many uncovered noses and mouths. Dangling strings. Geez, if you HAVE to use up an N95 for nonmedical use, at least wear it so it actually functions.

In a sane world, our country would have a unified national response and there would be efforts both to provide masks to the public and to give widespread PSAs with information on how to use them, how to practice appropriate social distancing, etc. The USA is such a shitshow right now. No surprise, really, but it's still infuriating.

Blog Entries

Aye. Kind of astonishing to me that someone could mess it up that much, actually--I'd think they'd at last get that you need to cover your mouth.
    "If you are worthy of his affection, a cat will be your friend but never your slave. He keeps his free will though he loves, and will not do for you what he thinks unreasonable; but if he once gives himself to you, it is with absolute confidence and fidelity of affection." -Theophile Gautier

Blog Entries

I'm almost a little surprised at the media's spin.

When the United States plans a premature re-opening, it's called out as disastrous, reckless, stupid. When the same thing is happening in Europe, then the leaders and policies that are even more reckless such as in Sweden where there was never any lockdown at all are framed as sagacious, bold, "taking the necessary risks" with the people who die just being acceptable collateral damage. It's usually the same organizations saying both these things at the same time: condemning the United States for a premature reopening, while simultaneously praising European leaders and states for doing the same thing, usually in the same context. Such egregious and blatant hypocrisy and lies even after everything that's happened the past 20 years is still almost a little shocking.

It seems the only thing that matters to middle class people is presentation. So long as one pays lips service to the idea that "our response needs to be based on science, not politics", then they are free to do the exact opposite with no repercussions. No big surprise here. In a society ruled by private property and profit motive, there was only ever going to be a certain level of inconvenience that would be tolerated by the market before it insisted on a return to normality, regardless of the human cost. The spin doctors are desperately working to pretend that they actually had an alternative when there never was short of a root and branch reordering of global civilization.

Germany, Britain, France, and many more are all proceeding with a premature reopening, but only the United States is (appropriately) being condemned for it. Put in context, it's obvious that the only reason for the condemnation is as a cynical move to score political points against Trump given that they themselves offer no alternative and the world over and doing the same, exact potentially disastrous plan.

The really almost comical(or depressing, depending on one's perspective) thing is that nothing is actually going to change and this same exact scenario could play out with another disease or some other catastrophe. To plan for actual contingencies that prioritize human life would be too much of an inconvenience for markets and there is no more rock solid, unshakable guarantee against something happening than that. This is why there is such a desperate and fanatical attempt to fixate on the actions of individual leaders, individual agencies; to falsely retroactively create the illusion that things could have turned out differently without having radically altered the system before hand. A pandemic was always going to have turned out this way in this society, regardless of the individuals, or even collection of individuals, running things. My opinion at least.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lopori View Post
    I've learned the depths people will go to to judge and shame others.
    This is something I've experienced recently, and it really disgusts me. You'd think in times like these people would be more willing to talk and listen, not kick someone to the curb, spit on them and walk away laughing.

Quote Originally Posted by Berlin View Post
    I learned that I thrive in chaos. The people all panic and I'm just over in my corner like "this is fine, no big deal".
    I've learned this as well. This seems to be the environment I work well in, staying calm and collected while my friends go to pieces around me. So I use this as an opportunity to try and comfort them, hoping that by speaking with them and listening to their concerns I can ease their fears and let them vent a little.
    We share our physical lives with those in spirit. For life, like love, never dies.
    Love knows no limits, not even death.

I've learned I hate a certain part of conservatives more than I thought I did. I also learned just how stupid and hypocritical people can honestly be. Such as the people protesting having to wear masks and using "My Body, My Choice." Which is ironic, because people with a uterus say the same thing, but are met with hostility and claims of being murderers [or murder enablers]. These people protesting don't even register that they are not only placing risk to themselves, but their family, their neighbors, their communities by literally being a walking contagion breeding ground.

Also that the people protesting about having to wear masks are the adult versions of a child throwing a tantrum over being told to wear shoes....

I've been relatively calm throughout all of this. But it was mostly because I was privileged enough to be calm about it, despite my asthma starting just as my state was shutting down. But I also brought it up with my therapist, and she said that part of the reason my anxiety has been under control is, this hasn't been the worst I've been through.

Best Buy is by far worth all the support. They paid many employees to stay home for a month, while paying hazard pay to those continuing to work. Switched to curbside ONLY and closing the store to all customers. The CEO took a 50% pay cut, and other board members took a 25% cut when they could have just as easily NOT done that. Unfortunately, they did have to make the hard decision to furlough people, retaining most full-timers. But they are paying all benefits for the next three months, and 100% covering any Covid-19 treatment/hospitalization costs of anyone who was on the payroll when the pandemic began. They kept as many people paid for as long as possible before having to furlough. By far one of the best responses made by a big box store I've seen. I'm super happy I've been retained, and back to work getting hazard pay. But can't help but feel a little anxious as movements to start opening back up are kicking into gear.