Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Outdoor adventures photo-share thread!

I opened the bike season yesterday. There is almost no snow in the fields, but still enough of it the forest. It's melting very fast now.

I love spring for its contrasts. There are still some places with almost winter feeling under the cover of dense forests, but on the open sunny tawed patches the earth is already dry and warm, and it's almost summer feeling. Here are some photos (all are clickable):

Last edited by Forest Wind; April 13th, 2021 at 07:12 AM.

It was absolutely amazing day! Very rare combination of conditions and time of the year, when it is already warm, like in summer, but there is still enough snow in the forests. Considering that the temperature was higher than usual for this time of the year in my location, there may be no more than a dozen such days over the course of the life. I couldn't miss this.

Even under the cover of pine forest it was about +22°C (+72°F). And on my sunny wally, where I am usually sunbathing in the early spring - it was over +30°C (+86°F) on the "summer" side of the hill. And on the "winter" side there is still enough snow to dive in it to cool down) I love spring contrasts, so it's just a heaven for me. The best time for sunbathing, snow-bathing and spring creek-bathing. ))

The spring is coming very fast here. Rivers and creeks overflowed their banks, and separated a lot of good places from most of the humans who are unable to cross streams of cold water. Many migratory birds have arrived, and birdsongs are everywhere. Snakes and lizards are woke up (didn't catch any this time). Also, birch sap is started to flow.

It was always important to me to maintain connection with the nature. To feel the changes of seasons on my skin, different whether. When I was lacking the ability to do so, I felt that life was passing by. And human life is too empty to me. So, this is the reason why I chose the way with less integration into society but more freedom. In order not to miss days like this.

All photos are clickable.

This is the summer side of the hill:

And this is the winter side of the hill:

The sunny wally and the forests nearby:

Snow is retreating very fast:

Cold air is flowing down and accumulating in this ravines and lowlands. It is possible to feel the border between cold and warm air here:

Juniper berries, eatable. Not ripe yet. Actually, these are not a true berries but a cones with berry-like appearance and texture and sweet-mealy-resinous taste.

Sallow catkins:

That is an amazing set of pictures Forest. I can almost smell the forest air, feel the snowy earth beneath. Glad you had a good time, the sights as always look amazing. Jealous.

That spot where the hot and cold air meet is pretty neat too, one of those weird sciencey things in nature that just ends up being really cool, well. Half cool, half warm. ^-^;

Blog Entries

The photos from the 13th... is the forest naturally like that? In the fourth photo they seem to be all around the same age, and (though this may just be me) in lines, and I was wondering if there was a story behind that--maybe an abandoned tree planation or reforested land or something.
    "If you are worthy of his affection, a cat will be your friend but never your slave. He keeps his free will though he loves, and will not do for you what he thinks unreasonable; but if he once gives himself to you, it is with absolute confidence and fidelity of affection." -Theophile Gautier

Quote Originally Posted by cheetah
    reforested land or something.
    Yes, it is a reforested land. It was not very far from the city, because there was enough snow an I couldn't get too deep in the forest by bike that day.

Actually, you could get a lot of information about the land, it's history, geology and ecosystems by just looking on the forest. The age of the trees, composition of the species, plants... Sometimes you can feel the time as deep as almost a century, because shifts between tree species could carry some information about certain events of the past. And things like wildfires or extreme wind may create some biological oscillations that last longer than the lifespan of a single tree)

The 3, 4 and 5 photo from the 16th, for the comparison is the wild forest. It is about 15 km further. Different picture there: mixed tree composition, trees of the different age. A lot of plants on the low level. And spruce trees slowly taking over the forest from beneath. It's a natural process, they will eventually kill most of the trees from upper level, and there will be dense spruce forest for some time, until the next natural shift in species.
    Last edited by Forest Wind; April 19th, 2021 at 03:53 AM.

Somewhere about 11 years ago I had a thread on one Russian therian forum. It was called "Through the eyes of one beast"... I wanted to share at least some pieces of life and animal experience, I had access to. It was started with this photos:

clickable.

Old photos, bad quality. It was about -27°C (-17°F) that time. Cold snow, blue light of the moon. And small warm shelter under the fallen tree... Something that humans usually never see. The different world.

It resonate with something inside. Some strange deep feeling... No words for this exist in both languages.

Blog Entries

Wow, those photos sure evoke a mood. I know that feeling well. I can almost smell that crisp snow smell and the breath of pine.

I take photos of the local coyotes and of good sceneries most mornings on my run. I am always thinking of the "jogging photography club" in the movie Yes Man, haha...

Here's one from last week.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kiso
    Very nice photo, indeed! Good chunk of Russian therian community appreciated it as well. ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Kisota View Post

Aww <3

Also last week? With that much snow?! Yikes, It's practically summer here, but it's said we only have two seasons. Summer and August.

Blog Entries

So how old is the reforested... forest?

The moonlit photos are nice. They're evocative to me as well. Nothing quite like the smell/taste of cold night air. Strange, that cold has a taste.
    "If you are worthy of his affection, a cat will be your friend but never your slave. He keeps his free will though he loves, and will not do for you what he thinks unreasonable; but if he once gives himself to you, it is with absolute confidence and fidelity of affection." -Theophile Gautier