Thread: Transpecies.

Default Transpecies.

Since 2012 I have identified as apart of this community.
    Just recently I realized that I am actually Animal-Hearted / Kith.

This allowed me to take a deep look into myself and what exactly my soul is yearning for.
    I believe that I relate more with being 'Transpecies' than 'Therian'.

Physically I am fine - but me valuing authenticity - I feel the need to find a way to really truly /be/ myself. I feel so limited.

My self image follows the lines along being more machine.
    Maybe that is just due to my experiences in life and how my personalities/disorders shape who I am.

This whole 'Machine' concept is something I will continue to dive into. Wondering what you all think in regards to this information and if anyone can relate. I may leave this forum due to knowing how Otherkin feel about those who identify as 'Transpecies' in their community.
    Hopefully, there is a better term I could use.

Blog Entries

I don't think that many people here care if you use the term transspecies. Could be wrong, of course.

As far as what I think in regards to your self-image being more 'machine'... well, you haven't really told why you feel that way, or much other than that you do, so I don't really have any thoughts there. Could you elaborate on your experiences in life that led you to this conclusion?
    "If you are worthy of his affection, a cat will be your friend but never your slave. He keeps his free will though he loves, and will not do for you what he thinks unreasonable; but if he once gives himself to you, it is with absolute confidence and fidelity of affection." -Theophile Gautier

Blog Entries

I am curious how you would define "transspecies", for yourself and otherwise, if you see yourself as animal-hearted rather than therian. It's an extremely controversial term in the community, but I don't think you'll be run off the forum just for using it. So please elaborate when you've the time.
    A negative number was raised to a power that is not an integer.

I'd also be interested to know what you (and others) mean by 'transspecies'. I've heard the term used before, but I don't really understand what it is or why it's controversial.
    "We have doomed the wolf not for what it is, but for what we deliberately and mistakenly perceive it to be––the mythologized epitome of a savage, ruthless killer––which is, in reality, no more than the reflected image of ourself." – Farley Mowat, Never Cry Wolf

I'm also a bit confused why you refer to yourself as transspecies when you say you're animal-hearted and not therian. As someone who is both therian and transgender, the two are similar in feeling, so I would assume transspecies would just be a less common, and less widely accepted synonym.

To answer other folks question about why it is a controversial term, it has a lot to do with transgender individuals who are not therians. A lot felt it was commandeering the prefix trans- and it caused a lot of problems with transgender folks being discredited, made fun of, etc to a larger extent. I also don't think the term transspecies is necessary, as we are not transitioning to another species. We aren't on the other side of species, we're still human and expected to act as such while in human society. Therianthropy is also a very personal experience, and it isn't something that ever needs to be known by others. We may want to share it with those who we are close to, but it's not inherently necessary to do so. As for transgender folks, there are many rules in place in many areas that require a trans person to live as their preferred gender before essentially being taken seriously and considered a recommendation for hormone therapy.

Transspecies is controversial mostly because while certain experiences are very similar to transgender experiences [and vice versa] they are not the same thing. We are not beyond or on the other side of species, we're always going to be human [until the afterlife, or whatever comes after we pass on]. We can't present as another species effectively, and certainly not in every day life. Whatever makes us therian, is a mystery, whether it's something neurological, psychological, or spiritual. Whatever it is we believe or theorize causes therianthropy, it doesn't make us that animal, and certainly not on the same level as being transgender in that case.

Transgender folks have it rough as it is, as do therians. The benefit that therians have, they don't need to go around telling people. They don't have to come out over and over to people unlike transgender folks [unless they're stealth, which presents the fear of being figured out and thus outed to everyone].

Thanks for the clarification, Anuolf. I think I generally agree with the criticism of the term based on your points.
    "We have doomed the wolf not for what it is, but for what we deliberately and mistakenly perceive it to be––the mythologized epitome of a savage, ruthless killer––which is, in reality, no more than the reflected image of ourself." – Farley Mowat, Never Cry Wolf

The term is controversial because people who identify as transspecies are often being used to ridicule and attack transgender people. In other words, the experience of a transgender person is mockingly compared to wanting to be an attack helicopter or a dragon. The average transgender person is not therian and is not likely to have any idea what that even means. So yes, transgender people are pretty angry about the term. Understandably so.

I am not the boss of anyone and am not going to tell other people what labels they may or may not use to identify themselves. I will ask people to be aware of the fact that the term is actively used as effective ammunition by hate groups, bigots and "comedians" against transgender people. If you choose to use it for yourself, please do so with full awareness of this situation. I would generally be happier if the term was not used in our community, because I think it does real harm. Not because of the people using it sincerely about themselves, but because of the fallout around the term that causes serious issues to transgender people outside of our community.

Blog Entries

The controvery is kinda dying off in the wider sphere so I've noticed, it's been used more readily and I like it. Shouldn't have to let people who mock us make the rules and use that term as an insult. They don't care if we kiss their asses we'll never be respectable in their eyes.
    Some of us resonate with it, me included. On a different forum where OP posted this, the admin tried to censor it and say it was against the rules! Bit shitty if you ask me.
    And the prefix trans is present in thousands of words in the English language, transgenderism doesn't own it.
    Some people do body mods and gear and stuff and that I think is where transspecies is a pretty useful word. I can see someone whose animal hearted also being transspecies and doing something like this.
    I have quad stilts I like playing with occasionally, tell me that's not transspeciesism in action lmao.

Edit: if people who consider themselves transspecies used it more in casual community discussion, the more normal it'll be. And we'll have taken back atleast some of the power that the transphobic hypothetical jokes had over it. Because believe it or not this is not a hypothetical, it's a real thing.
    Last edited by Lopori; July 12th, 2020 at 06:20 AM.

My opinion is pretty much like Savage said: I can't stop anyone from using it, but if you do use it then it should be acknowledged that it's not a harmless term and is still actively used to this day to hurt transgender people. This isn't exclusive to this term, but others as well, like how some gay people have reclaimed the f-word but it is still extremely offensive others. If you can take it in stride and turn it into something positive for yourself then more power to you, as long as the approach isn't "this term is actually good, stop being so offended". It still, to this day, is used harmfully and the offense taken is far from irrational.

This same example can be used over and over for a plethora of problematic terms, but then this post would be miles long.