Thread: Recent "Furry" Anime

Default Recent "Furry" Anime

I have had a lot of feelings lately about two recent "furry" anime series, Beastars and BNA (both currently on Netflix). I always get really excited and eagerly watch media with anthropomorphic characters because it's nice to see nonhuman characters in media; depending on how they're written, they can be really relatable, or at least look relatable/closer to how I see myself. So, I was really excited when I first saw advertisements for the Beastars anime because the art looked really good and I was excited for an anime with anthropomorphic characters. The story seemed interesting, too. Similarly, BNA also caught my attention because of the art, animation, and premise.

Unfortunately, I found both series to be at least somewhat disappointing. I felt like Beastars couldn't pick a genre and ended up feeling all over the place (although I hear the manga is better and plan to give it a read). I also felt like BNA started off implying it would address sociopolitical issues and have interesting messages, but the tone of the show seemed to gradually move away from that. Both series had lovely art and animation, which I certainly did enjoy from the perspective of seeing and relating to anthro characters, but it's so disappointing to have two shows come out that seemed so promising both fall short. For both of them, I just kept thinking how they didn't live up to the bar Zootopia set years ago (I absolutely love that movie in terms of writing, art, animation, and relatable nonhuman feels).

Has anyone else watched either or both of Beastars and BNA? What were your thoughts on them? Does anyone have any other "furry" anime series they'd recommend?

I watched both, but enjoyed Beastars far more.

I'm not a fan of anime in general, so the cutesy/dark switching on BNA, along with the main character as a whole, really bothered me. I found it annoying and distracting. And, why did the beast men even have a human form at all? The style and tone seemed similar to other animes I have seen.

Beastars, which I watched back in March, was more artistic animation-wise, which I liked. I also liked the more mature theme of predator vs. prey (although the sex was not something I'm interested in for my media). The dynamics between characters was more interesting, as was the plot overall.

"That's wolves for ya', good guys!" -Wolf, t10k
    wolf/werewolf & clouded leopard| 38 | female | writer | scuba diver | funny | chaotic good | Hufflepuff | INFP | eclectic witch

Blog Entries

Really loved Beastars, watched it both subbed and again dubbed. The animation is so fun to watch. The stylization of the characters takes a little getting used to, but I think the relationships and the world building are really fun. Some things about it bug me (the instincts don't make ANY sense sometimes, and why does Durham the coyote guy look like a damn German shepherd, dark muzzle and all??)

I'm in the middle of BNA right now, and while I generally like this animation studio, I'm not blown away. Much more cliche characters, not as interesting of a world. It's really weird to watch an anime that features so much super modern culture, though, like social media influencers! Studio Trigger always has fun stylish animation, but surprisingly, I've actually found Beastars more interesting to look at.

Really eager to see where Beastars goes, and if I ever find time I'm pretty curious about the manga. I haven't actually read any manga in a long time though!

I definitely agree about the interesting world-building in Beastars, and I'm excited to see where they take it in the next season.

@Kisota I'll be curious to hear the rest of your thoughts after you finish BNA. Also, I found the Beastars manga online here if you're interested https://read-beastars.com/. Like I said, I haven't gotten around to reading it yet, but I've heard really good things.