Thread: First Shift In Years

Default First Shift In Years

I shifted again for the first time in years.

Not sure how to feel since I figured I lost that, since it's been so long.

It happens whenever I am in the presence of Eastern Dragon depictions.

I never was exposed to dragons in my youth. Ever! So whenever I found imagery of them - it was like finding a gem.
    Being American - Westernized dragons never seemed to add up to me and I could never simpathize with the idea of humans slaying these so called 'monsters'. It just didn't seem realistic.

Since I have been in therapy/hospital almost all of this year - my whole identity has been warped - so this feeling may not be accurate or even very significant. Especially since I am diagnoised Bipolar & have various other disabilities that impact my identitity/how I see things.

In therapy, I did a lot of traditional animal pieces for staff and patients - since I am so internal - it was really the only way I felt heard somewhat. I'd like to do a large portrait this weekend and really pour my heart and soul into a larger Eastern Dragon piece.

What I feel for these beings is just all too real.

This shift has lasted hours and I still feel it.
    Primarily in the hands and feet as well as features on my head.

I vaguely feel a tail but it seems so far away.

I met another Witch/Practioner at my therapy retreat. She worked as Staff and was also Military.
    She actually said she was drawn to me as a person and said I gave Dragon energy.

Not expecting that information, I wanted to know more. I didn't get much information, unfortunately.
    Though from talking to her so often - I trusted her viewpoint. I kind of brushed it off until now.

unknown | unknown identity
    ⚲ | 20 | INTJ

Blog Entries

Hey Marc, glad I'm not the only one who experiences very few shifts. What do you think is responsible for that? Any ideas?

Not that I want to interrogate you or something, in fact, I thought of this as a rather fortunate encounter. Bid you a good day, looking forward to your reply.

Just wanna say that you should be careful and not take being told you have dragon energy to mean you're a dragon. I got my energy read recently and was told that I had the energy of a land mammal that dives below sea level... something I am not.

I can relate to having shifts and identity salience come and go unexpectedly over the years. I think it's actually a fairly common experience, based on what I've seen others say within the community as well.

Since I have been in therapy/hospital almost all of this year - my whole identity has been warped - so this feeling may not be accurate or even very significant. Especially since I am diagnoised Bipolar & have various other disabilities that impact my identitity/how I see things.
    I might challenge this thought somewhat. Obviously you are the expert on your own experiences, so if you feel skeptical of your identity in light of your diagnoses/disabilities, that makes sense and is up to you to decide. At the same time, though, I feel like there can be a tendency for people to perpetuate a stigma that people with mental illnesses (especially more stigmatized ones like bipolar, schizophrenia spectrum, and personality disorders) cannot be reliable narrators of their own experiences, i.e., can't understand or speak for themselves. Not only do I feel like that is often more born out of stigma than reality, but I also feel like it ignores the fact that it makes sense for people's identities to be influenced by their mental health: of course one aspect of your psychology is going to influence another aspect. Just wanted to share that as food for thought.

I met another Witch/Practioner at my therapy retreat. She worked as Staff and was also Military.
    She actually said she was drawn to me as a person and said I gave Dragon energy.

Not expecting that information, I wanted to know more. I didn't get much information, unfortunately.
    Though from talking to her so often - I trusted her viewpoint. I kind of brushed it off until now
    I second Berlin in recommending caution when basing your identity off the perception of someone else. No one else can tell you who or what you are.

I can definitely agree. I have a habit of taking information from others perceptions and finding more value in that then in my own perceptions. Not sure why.

⚲ | 20 | INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Lupus Ferox View Post
    Hey Marc, glad I'm not the only one who experiences very few shifts. What do you think is responsible for that? Any ideas?

Not that I want to interrogate you or something, in fact, I thought of this as a rather fortunate encounter. Bid you a good day, looking forward to your reply.
    Not sure tbh. It could be because I have been struggling with some mental / physical health stuff (luckily I have been getting better haha).
    I think it happened more as a kid because I was simply exploring - I was in the moment day-to-day. Now that I am older - it's become more of just 'who I am'.
    Not sure if that makes sense. My shifts have kind of become my 'baseline' identity so it's not much of a 'shift' anymore.

⚲ | 20 | INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by bloodmuffins View Post
    I can relate to having shifts and identity salience come and go unexpectedly over the years. I think it's actually a fairly common experience, based on what I've seen others say within the community as well.

I might challenge this thought somewhat. Obviously you are the expert on your own experiences, so if you feel skeptical of your identity in light of your diagnoses/disabilities, that makes sense and is up to you to decide. At the same time, though, I feel like there can be a tendency for people to perpetuate a stigma that people with mental illnesses (especially more stigmatized ones like bipolar, schizophrenia spectrum, and personality disorders) cannot be reliable narrators of their own experiences, i.e., can't understand or speak for themselves. Not only do I feel like that is often more born out of stigma than reality, but I also feel like it ignores the fact that it makes sense for people's identities to be influenced by their mental health: of course one aspect of your psychology is going to influence another aspect. Just wanted to share that as food for thought.

I second Berlin in recommending caution when basing your identity off the perception of someone else. No one else can tell you who or what you are.
    I definitely agree! I've gotten so used to the stigma in such a short time - I am finding it difficult to really trust myself haha. That's not something that I want.
    I think that I am still a Vulture Cladotherian but my re-questioning makes me shift my perspective all too easily. it's like I am still searching for a clear answer that I am this and nothing else? Despite always coming back to being a Vulture haha.

⚲ | 20 | INTJ