Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: What have you accomplished lately? What are you grateful for?

Blog Entries

God, I feel that so hard, Jasper. My field season has a couple months to go, but I’m dead in the middle of the most grueling part and desperately need a break. Hopefully I’ve got a few days off coming up, but the next few are going to be a real push through the burnout I’m feeling.

I’ve worked through the last few weekends and was gone for two weeks straight, and now I have no idea what day it is or what’s going on.

And after being in a tiny cabin with six people I spend all day working with, I am in serious need of some solitude!

But hey, we got through that portion of the work! It’s been a process all year getting ready and planning this stuff out, so it feels good to get out there and get the field work part done.

There’s no time for a break at the moment because we’ve got to get out there and set up the NEXT part, though…

Blog Entries

After a trip to the botanical gardens during the Japanese Festival, I've been taking up flower arrangements. I'm not good good, but I've made some pretty stuff. It's unfortunate that it's turning towards fall already; I would have liked to try some during spring and early summer.

But there were sprays of pine needles and small branches in the flower arrangements I saw at the botanical garden, so I might make some attractive arrangements using black gun twigs and red maple twigs. We'll see.
    "If you are worthy of his affection, a cat will be your friend but never your slave. He keeps his free will though he loves, and will not do for you what he thinks unreasonable; but if he once gives himself to you, it is with absolute confidence and fidelity of affection." -Theophile Gautier

Blog Entries

Oooh! That’s so pretty! Definitely keep sharing if you make more. The splash of orange there is just great.

I only just realized yesterday that today was going to be my first wedding anniversary. I guess some people would think of that as an accomplishment? Don’t people say the first year of marriage is supposed to be challenging or something?

Nothing really changed for us since we’ve been together for 12 years and living together for like… 8. Maybe not an accomplishment, exactly, but I am exceptionally grateful for the continued relationship happiness. I’m a lucky bastard and I do take care to preserve the good things in my life.
    Last edited by Kisota; September 26th, 2021 at 07:59 AM.

Blog Entries

Going to refresh this thread since it's Thanksgiving times in the US.

I remember that when I was a kid, I always found it a little cheesy and maybe a bit annoying to have to answer what I was thankful for every year. It always seemed so obvious - my family, friends, health, all the good things.

As an adult, I'm finding gratitude a much more valuable and palpable thing. I do practice some various types of meditation that help with this... Stoic practices of negative visualizations seem to come natural to me - that is, imagining yourself briefly without some of the best things in your life, which gives you a renewed sense of appreciation for the fact that you do, in fact, still have them.

Another Stoic practice I like fosters happiness by bridging the gap between Want and Have... by teaching you to want the things you already have.

Consciously recognizing the good that we have can be so effective at improving our general happiness. And who doesn't want to be happy more often and yearning or wanting LESS often?

So, what are the things you're happiest to have? What things would be the worst to have to be without, that you thankfully still have?

I think first of the people I feel especially lucky to have in my life. My spouse, my family, my best friend, who I am SO happy to have nearby again. My other local friends, the older friends who keep in touch and game with me every weekend.... online friends too.

I'm grateful for my health, especially after all this time in a pandemic. I'm fortunate to have access to preventative medicine. I had some weird health issues this year, but overall, I'm in excellent health, which is important on its own, but very critical for my line of work. I'm so lucky not to have had any issues that keep me from my work, and I try hard to keep it that way.

Which bring me to work! Despite all its difficulties, I'm so grateful to be able to dedicate my life to doing work that is meaningful to me and which I believe is of crucial value to the biosphere as a whole.

I'm really grateful for my apartment with its light and plants and natural history things, my neighborhood with its creekbeds and hawks and coyotes and magpies, and my whole area. This is the first place I've lived as an adult that I truly love, and I never get used to that feeling... which helps me be constantly in awe and gratitude.
    Last edited by Kisota; November 22nd, 2021 at 12:06 PM.

The last couple months I've been working on building reptile enclosures and setting up for our snake breeding projects. In this time I've set up 2 large ARS snake breeding racks, 1 freedom breeder, and 4 other melamine wood racks in our finished basement. Building each one took nearly a full days time carrying all the heavy pieces in and figuring out how to assemble and arrange them so that they don't blow a fuse. This included setting up a rack with 30 snakes at 3am after it was driven home 5 hours out of town.

All the hours and exhausting work my partner and I have put into this, the reptile hobby is something the 2 of us bonded over and enjoy being able to work on turning into a business. Before I met him I could never have imagined being able to do something like this alone. Now we have multiple pairs of snakes locking and our projects are really starting to come together now!

Being able to work with animals, especially ones I can relate to, has been the most rewarding thing in my life. I can 't even begin to explain that feeling when you see snakes hatch from a clutch that you incubated. Its nothing short of amazing.

-Azaphaer

Astral Dragon - Cybertronian - Valstrax

Snakes really are beautiful creatures, and I'm dragonkin too, so I really relate to that. Do you watch Snake Discovery? They're a really good reptile youtube channel.

~~

I did archery on Saturday and managed to hit the little bit of wood sticking out the top slap bang on the middle of it. And I got a bulls-eye too. I'm hoping to get an archery set for myself because it's damn fun, man.

Blog Entries

We've done it: we've won NaNoWriMo, finishing three days early with an end word count of 51,094 and an overall daily word count of 1,892 per day. Huzzah! This is the first year we've won since 2013.

It'll be a few months before we polish everything up to formally publish on our website (or in the case of the one TTRPG we made, put on itch.io), but we've got 27 brand new pieces out of our NaNoWriMo Alterhuman Writing Project this month, and couldn't be happier with what we've accomplished. We're gonna take a loooong break after this, though. We never want to type anything ever again (we say, knowing damn well that we will all be back at our projects before year's end).

A quick summary of things happened over the past 6 (or so) month.

My outdoor/travelling season was pretty successful.

It consisted of one water-based trip on my sail catamaran in early summer, couple of smaller hikes and one giant land-based trip. The biggest one was about 75 days long with the total distance travelled about 14 000 km using hitch-hiking and 500 km on foot.

I spent a month in the western-central Siberia where I was scouting some small villages along the rivers to find a place to settle in the nearest future. I already scouted wild parts of this region from the water in 2018. A lot of good nature, low human population, bountiful hunting grounds and climate there is not as harsh as in most other parts of Siberia. Also there are no oil industry and woodcutting industry is very limited.

I found one tiny village, that satisfied most of my criteria, with very nice geographical location between more civilized and more wild areas and good access from water. So, finally, my long lasting goal to switch to more independent semi-autonomous lifestyle closer to wild nature got into a final phase. I already anticipate when I leave this foreign anthropogenic environment, likely forever, and won't have to return here in the future for any long period of time.

During the second part of my travel I visited my old friend in Northern Baikalian region. I spent quite a bit of time there. Climbed on a couple of peaks of Bargusin mountain range, visited some hot springs, northern coast of Baikal lake itself, saw different wildlife. Also there was a close encounter with the bear, which ended up unfortunate to the bear.

So I tried some bear meat, and got some experience in skinning and bear hide processing.

I saw a lot of wolverine-pleasing snow in the summer. Here are some photos from this part of the trip: https://www.werelist.net/showthread....368#post308368

This year there was a longest golden autumn in my life. By moving from the east to the west I extended this time quite substantially) Avoiding the upcoming winter.

Visited a couple of other places briefly on the way back, and met there with my friends.
    Last edited by Forest Wind; November 29th, 2021 at 05:02 PM.

Blog Entries

What an amazing adventure, Forest Wind. I’m so so glad for you, and I hope your move works out. I’ve been trying to figure out ways to live a little more naturally as well. Since I have a spouse with a job he loves in the city, I’m unlikely to be able to move somewhere remote permanently. Given my current circumstances, I’m unlikely to be able to move onto my own land anytime very soon.

I’ve sold or donated a huge amount of my stuff this season, though, and am trying to make room for growing my own herbs… I may start planning a balcony garden as well (I haven’t seen anything in my lease that says I CAN’T, as long as I don’t have things hanging over the edges).

My job does allow me a lot of time in remote places, which is good, but never feels like enough unstructured nature time. I did invest in completing my set of backpacking equipment this year, and kept trying to plan a trip but never managed it. Might be getting a little late for it now, unless I want to go hardcore.

Blog Entries

With Covid ransacking our state (again) and our local and state government ignoring the problem (again), we've really been forced to put into perspective the things we're grateful for doing and achieving. It feels like it's been a rough past few years and that us and our loved ones are just holding on as best we can. We've been trying to not push ourselves so much given how chaotic everything is and to take pride in what we can do, rather than being upset at what we fall short of doing.

Which speaking of, we finished and published another alterhuman TTRPG today (link for interested parties). It's a very small one that we'd already set up the base for in our NaNo writing project, but still something we're proud of. Lately we've been making a more reliable amount off our games--probably just because of the holiday season, realistically--and it's been putting things into clarity on how we might actually be able to make a living off of the content we create. It's always been kind of a far-flung dream that we'd be able to do so. Everyone knows about the starving artist stereotype, I'm sure.

We also might (big might) be collaborating with an organization to do research on certain aspects of the alterhuman community and alterhumanity. I won't go into too much detail here, but we've been reached out to about getting our research funded and utilized on wider scales, and it makes us all kinds of nervous and excited. We're wondering if this might be how we get our name out there in our circles of academia while we wait for the opportunity to go after our doctorate too, and the idea of a group actually letting us go hogwild research we're interested in and supporting those endeavors potentially financially is just beyond belief. It would be an absolutely insane amount of work to do with the scale we're thinking of aiming for, but if we could pull it off it'd be seriously amazing. This is a really big thing for us, for our previous research to have garnered that kind of attention and interest.
    Last edited by Who-Is-Page; December 16th, 2021 at 11:13 PM. Reason: added link