Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What have you accomplished lately? What are you grateful for?

I feel like that pretty often as well, this saying came to mind and I'm not sure if I heard it somewhere, at least some variation or made it up, but

" Life ends up being mostly made up of the small things so you may as well give yourself credit for them, at least every once in a while. "

Tacky, I know. But I'll take it.

Blog Entries

- Finished writing a 500+ page novel. Started the next one.

- Wrote an assembler—in assembly. (And then rewrote it. Less than 9K in size and has a built in disassembler!)

- Made a song (I retired from making music 2 years ago but this one just really wanted out)

- Planted a tree in the yard.
    A negative number was raised to a power that is not an integer.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Koba View Post
    I feel like that pretty often as well, this saying came to mind and I'm not sure if I heard it somewhere, at least some variation or made it up, but

" Life ends up being mostly made up of the small things so you may as well give yourself credit for them, at least every once in a while. "

Tacky, I know. But I'll take it.
    My favorite professor used to say “damn I’m good!” When he accomplished something minor, and we’d laugh at the vanity of it. But he said “well no one else is going to congratulate me for these things”. That, plus realizing that “damn I’m good!” Is pure positivity and doesn’t make any comparisons to anyone else, really made me think. I have a very hard time ever giving myself credit for anything.

Except flossing. I managed to make a habit of flossing and DAMN if that isn’t an accomplishment. (My technique: use the easy little plastic flossers and put them e v e r y w h e r e, plus link the habit to other things you do - time to shower? Time to floss, that kind of thing.) A dental hygienist asked me in a recent cleaning appointment if I use a water pick!! That was quite the compliment.

Got a nice deer, first one of the season. Venison enchiladas, venison lasagna, venison nachos, venison burgers, venison steak, etc. Yum.

Blog Entries

Congrats! I meant to ask how hunting was going. I’m rather envious!

My boss has some pronghorn meat I might acquire soon though.

Blog Entries

Savage: Congrats on the successful hunt!

I've made a few online friends through my interest in hunting and collecting bones and skulls. I'm usually too left-wing to fit in well with most of them, though. I've noticed that most hunters tend to be right-wing, unlike me. But I still receive PMs from right-wing hunters and it's okay as long as they're not killing animals for fun. I'm not sure what to do with coyote skulls and furs. A vegan friend told me to bury them. Not in the sense of digging them up later, but out of respect for the animal.

This is more grey space for me. I don't want to bury coyote fur, or meaty skulls or bones, nor do I want to encourage trappers; but I'm still tempted to accumulate bones and furs as artistic references and reminders of the real animals that have to suffer through our inadequate trapping ethics. I don't know why I care about the intentions of the hunter or trapper. The real animals don't care. Maybe this could be a writing prompt for a new post?

Quote Originally Posted by Kisota View Post
    Congrats! I meant to ask how hunting was going. I’m rather envious!

My boss has some pronghorn meat I might acquire soon though.
    Deliciously. Eating venison steak tonight.

Speed goat is pretty delicious too, you should definitely try some if you have the chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyote Jones View Post
    Thanks. Greedily going after another one. I gave a bunch of mine to a family that was out of work and struggling, so there's not much left now.

I feel you on the issue of fitting in with mostly right wing, conservative, religious hunters on all of the social groups for that. I really, really don't fit in especially when they start getting all Christian or all Trumpster. That shit is not what a hunting forum is even for and it annoys me a lot.

Blog Entries

Completed (as part of a group) the first site-wide plot for my RP group. It was well received, and will hopefully be the first of many. I've done smaller, personal plots before, but never attempted anything on that scale.

Also congrats on the successful hunt, Savage.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyote Jones View Post

I've made a few online friends through my interest in hunting and collecting bones and skulls. I'm usually too left-wing to fit in well with most of them, though. I've noticed that most hunters tend to be right-wing, unlike me. But I still receive PMs from right-wing hunters and it's okay as long as they're not killing animals for fun. I'm not sure what to do with coyote skulls and furs. A vegan friend told me to bury them. Not in the sense of digging them up later, but out of respect for the animal.

This is more grey space for me. I don't want to bury coyote fur, or meaty skulls or bones, nor do I want to encourage trappers; but I'm still tempted to accumulate bones and furs as artistic references and reminders of the real animals that have to suffer through our inadequate trapping ethics. I don't know why I care about the intentions of the hunter or trapper. The real animals don't care. Maybe this could be a writing prompt for a new post?
    I can get burying them as a sort of symbolic action, to give them the same respect you would a human... but like you say, the animals don't care what happens to their corpses. You respect a human by giving them the burial they would want; for coyotes what you're tempted to do seems more respectful to the dead, and might even reduce the number killed for their pelts and bones (probably not, since plenty of people would shoot coyotes anyway, but maybe).
    Last edited by cheetah; September 27th, 2020 at 10:47 AM.
    "If you are worthy of his affection, a cat will be your friend but never your slave. He keeps his free will though he loves, and will not do for you what he thinks unreasonable; but if he once gives himself to you, it is with absolute confidence and fidelity of affection." -Theophile Gautier

I returned recently from a very long trip. 1.5 month long, 12 700 km (7 900 mi) travelled using hitch-hiking and about of 560 km (350 mi) on foot. I visited Baikal for the first time in my life, met with my friends in various distant places. And I managed to accomplish a rather difficult route in the Altai mountains, which I had planned half a year ago, before coronacrisis. And this late in the year I wasn't sure if the weather let me go. But the weather was cooperating.

I managed to climb on a pretty serious mountain this time without any special equipment. Raised my altitude bar to 3800 m. Here is the view around: https://youtu.be/w5Xzdiv9xY8

Didn't caught corona, wasn't eaten by bears, didn't fall into an ice cracks or broke the leg on unstable rocks)) And I'm really satisfied that my geographical intuition and navigation skills seems to work pretty well in the mountains.

Also I found a skull during this travel and it is nearly-perfect.
    Last edited by Forest Wind; September 29th, 2020 at 04:02 PM.