Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: What have you accomplished lately? What are you grateful for?

Blog Entries

I seem to have finally gotten a lot better at sleeping! I still have nights where I wake up and am restless most of the night, but they are fewer and it seems I almost never struggle for an hour to fall asleep in the first place. Taking 40-60 minutes to get to sleep has been normal for me forever, and insomnia where I wake up and am unable to go back to sleep has been a chronic problem for years.

I think a big part of it has been just going to bed when I start to feel sleepy and trying to give those feelings high significance. I used to honestly hardly ever get to the point of being sleepy. Recognizing that I have a rather accelerated circadian rhythm (I’m an early bird) has also helped. I naturally get sleepy now between 9 and 10. And wake up unprompted usually between 5 and 6.

I do a lot of other things too (frequent little evening showers, dimming the lights, and I don’t usually eat after dinner and certainly not past 8). I also take melatonin and magnesium around 8. I’m not sure either of those are actually functional except as placebos.... but if they work as placebos, that still means they’re effective, it just means I’m getting my body to do the work.

Anyway, it’s been really nice. I also don’t seem to need much sleep, so for an insomniac, I’ve generally fared quite well, but literally everything is better when you’re well rested. Feeling very grateful.

Quote Originally Posted by Kisota View Post
    I do a lot of other things too (frequent little evening showers, dimming the lights, and I don’t usually eat after dinner and certainly not past 8). I also take melatonin and magnesium around 8. I’m not sure either of those are actually functional except as placebos.... but if they work as placebos, that still means they’re effective, it just means I’m getting my body to do the work.

I was thinking about something unrelated but it related to this post because of insomnia, sleeping and my interest in well, many things, but in this case, natural and herbal medicine, alchemy, science and so on. I'm not sure if you have heard of it but something I've done in the past was use Valerian Root, either raw, the extract or ground to make tea. It's said to be helpful with ' insomnia or getting to sleep, anxiety and stress '.

Information on Valerian: https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/valerian-root

I know from experience it does help with these things, but you want to find the amount that works for you, seems to be a pretty safe as well, I know I made a really strong cup of tea once and it just gave me a serious case of the giggles for about an hour before passing out for about ten hours of really wonderful sleep.

My interest in herbology reaches far beyond the most popular plant specimen of recent times. ;3

Blog Entries

I tried valerian root when I was in high school and suffering from (utterly unexplained, spontaneous, full-blown) panic attacks. We were hoping it would help me sleep and I remember feeling that I was actually more awake - though that may have been because I was relieved not to be having panic attacks. I don’t think I took it long enough to be sure, but it has been noted to make some people feel excitable. At the very least, it wasn’t giving me awful side effects like the SSRIs we also tried during that time. “Formication” is a word that entered my vocabulary after these experiences.

I tend to have weird responses to drugs and things with pharmaceutical effects, so the combo of naturally-occurring hormone (melatonin) and mineral (magnesium) is a bit more my speed. Ultimately, I think the good sleep hygiene / bed-time habits are the most important factor. I am a little surprised by how early I get tired, but I suppose it makes sense with how early I naturally wake up (4:30 today, haha).
    Last edited by Kisota; April 11th, 2021 at 07:21 AM.

I've become a fully-fledged plant parent! It's helping me break up the monotony of get up from bed -> go to my computer (for work and whatnot) -> make food at some point -> bed. Most of my stuff is all grown plants I transplanted, but I'm growing some catnip and New Zealand spinach from seeds. Hoping for the best!!

I also finished writing a story I started back in 2017. Now I'm just trying to get some of my friends to edit/proofread for me, but I'm contemplating paying them just so they do it in a timely fashion. I appreciate them doing it for free, but I'm at their whim, since I'm getting it printed, and I NEED to know how many pages it's going to be so I know which spine size I'm doing, and all of this is going to affect the covers, which I haven't finished yet explicitly because of this. I'm happy to pay em, but it's out of urgency to get this done within the next month so I can move forward with the process before summer starts. x.x

The story's about 77k words though! That's the longest solo piece I've ever written haha.

And finally, I've been losing weight!! I started at 257lb and now I'm at 228lb, which is.... wild, but I'm thrilled!! My short-term goal is 200lb, long term 160lb and more extreme goal is 140lb.

Quote Originally Posted by KitKatPurrpurr View Post

The story's about 77k words though! That's the longest solo piece I've ever written haha.

And finally, I've been losing weight!! I started at 257lb and now I'm at 228lb, which is.... wild, but I'm thrilled!! My short-term goal is 200lb, long term 160lb and more extreme goal is 140lb.

Awesome, congratulations on the book and your personal goals. Always really nice to have that feeling of accomplishment when you make progress.
    ( Pretty flowers too )

I officially 'graduated' passed my finals and finished my first A.S. I guess that's something.
    Last edited by Koba; April 21st, 2021 at 02:02 PM.

Blog Entries

Congrats on the book!

This is a more long term thing, but I've been restoring a fish tank and it's been turning out really nice. Ever since I added some macroalgae, the existing algae infestation has been dying out. Up next: adding some hardy corals.

Oh, and my garden plants are doing really well (images are clickable). In order, that's pink forget-me-nots--a plant planted last year that I'm pleased came back so well--sage that's already forming the beginnings of a healthy bush, blazing star pushing its way up out of the ground, and lungwort. I like lungwort. Thing is bulletproof.

Been making a point to pick up litter around my neighborhood when walking back from work, which is satisfying. I think a lot of people don't bag their trash, so it tends to get blown around when it's picked up.
    "If you are worthy of his affection, a cat will be your friend but never your slave. He keeps his free will though he loves, and will not do for you what he thinks unreasonable; but if he once gives himself to you, it is with absolute confidence and fidelity of affection." -Theophile Gautier

I made chicken and fries for dinner and began studying Norse mythology

Quote Originally Posted by Eersian View Post
    I made chicken and fries for dinner and began studying Norse mythology

Fooood! Glorious food, mashed taters and gravy! Sorry, it's a song. Seems like chicken and fries is my mates favorite lately so hope you made extra: P

With the mythology stuff should check out in the media? section there is a post on 'What is animism' which is pretty cooool! However, the video is by a guy who has a Word press site 'Whispers of Yggdsril' ( Or something like that, which has a lot of neat information on it and the guy himself is very chummy and pleasant so you might enjoy his content. )

Alright my thing.

Weeks like this week exemplify why I can't in good conscious involve anyone in my schemes, the entire market dropped like twenty percent almost all within an hour, my bearish defensive strategy has let me weather the worst so far relatively unscathed, I think though perhaps a large portion of less seasoned participants have quite literally been wiped off the map. So, kudos to me. I feel bad for anyone else though that had more vulnerability.

Blog Entries

I am grateful for getting my TA certification and a strong potential of getting a job--even if part time. I am also aiming to get my EKG certification very soon.
    There's a possibility I might not stick around for a long while in the TA field due to something lifechanging (for the better), but I'll cross that bridge when it presents itself. At least I'll have something in the meantime. I'm excited for the future!
    Timber wolf therian-- Zhuardarian changeling-- horse hearted
    ~Being kin is a journey of finding yourself, losing yourself, searching and doing it all over again.~

My seedlings sprouted!!!! I've got more sprouts with the spinach at this point, which I'm actually thrilled about since they've got a low germination rate. I spotted em while I was doing dishes and literally squealed LOL