Thread: Going hunting!

Default Going hunting!

Deer season opens this weekend where I am (archery only right now) and I'm pretty excited about it. Hoping to bring home the venison. Can't go opening day, but I'm taking a few days off this week to hit the treestand and possibly do a stalk hunt if it rains. Looking for good meat, not trophies, because I have no use for a fancy coat rack and I like to eat. Young and tender for me please! So ready to eat some fresh venison from my own kill. Any other hunters getting ready for season?

Blog Entries

Next year! I envy you. My brother hunts. I want to go on a trip with him using a crossbow, but university is expensive and hunting is expensive. I'm currently accumulating all the gear I'll need. My brother explained the difference between using a recurve bow (tricky, especially with a higher draw weight) and using a crossbow (easy and reliable, to the extent that he can even hit flying targets). A few people here on Werelist heard about the bow I purchased earlier this year. Even my brother, who's all muscle, had a hard time drawing it. So it needs to be sold. I'm looking forward to the day I bring down my own wild turkey and deer. Mmm, venison steaks.

He told me about the best way to kill a deer with a single shot that ideally pierces both the lungs and the heart. I was asking him how quickly the deer dies, since rumour has it that bows can be less efficient than a gun.

What type of bow and/or gun are you using, Savage? Edit: Your line about deer season could be interpreted in more than one way. Are you an archer, or are you primarily a gun person?
    Last edited by Coyote Jones; September 11th, 2020 at 03:19 PM.

I own several crossbows, including a (haha) Barnett Wildcat and a Horton. I prefer bow hunting to gun hunting, but if I'm going to a site I didn't specifically set up for a close range bow ambush and where I can't safely stalk hunt, I'll take a rifle when it's legal to do so. Most of the places I hunt are archery only though and that suits me fine.

Heart-lung shots are the only ethical kill shots with archery. I use mechanical blade heads made by Feradyne that open very wide on contact, and it's a rare deer that makes it 50 yards after being opened up like that. I don't have to track them very far, and it is a very messy and wide track.
    Last edited by Savage; September 11th, 2020 at 09:25 PM.