Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thanksgiving Thoughts

Default Thanksgiving Thoughts

For those of us who celebrate Thanksgiving, here's wishes that it will be both merry and safe. How will you be celebrating?

Zoom is lifting its 40 minute limit on Thanksgiving so you can have a nice safe virtual dinner with folks who don't live in your household. Definitely a recommended option. I would prefer to stay home, but I have a single family member who lives about an hour and a half away and is otherwise pretty isolated, so there will be a masked visit to a one person household for me. Not really happy about it, but they're insistent and clear on understanding the risks which are mostly on their side given their age and current degree of isolation. There's an outdoor patio and heaters, so we'll be able to make do and mitigate the risks. I'm negative as of last week, but I've ventured out for grocery runs occasionally so exposure is certainly possible. I'm thinking that a Zoom Thanksgiving is a whole lot better than an ICU Christmas and wish I wasn't being pressured into going. It will not make me feel good if I end up doing harm to a family member by visiting during a pandemic, their idea or not.

How about you?

My mate and I are staying home (for the first time in all the years since we got together!) and having my father-in-law over since otherwise he'd be alone this year. He has, like us, been extra careful, so I'm not worried about him.

But I will not get to see my family because they don't think it's that big of a deal and haven't been taking it seriously.

We will be having smoked turkey thighs, filling, niblets corn in butter sauce, homemade rolls, cranberry log and fruit salad. For dessert we're splurging and getting apple caramel bread pudding with bourbon sauce from a local 4 star restaurant.

"That's wolves for ya', good guys!" -Wolf, t10k
    wolf/werewolf & cat| 38 | female | writer | scuba diver | funny | chaotic good | Hufflepuff | INFP | eclectic witch

Staying the hell home.
    Dinner will have at least the following: rolls, candied yams, mashed potatoes and gravy, baked carrots/brussels sprouts/bacon with brown sugar, a GIANT HAM, pumpkin/apple/cherry pies, mini pies of all different flavors, deviled eggs

Staying home and having a small thanksgiving dinner with turkey and crandberry and mash potatoes and sweet potatoes and stuffing and pie. That's it.

The usual thing that happens every year. Probably have two asswipe morons who think that they're the exception to mask rules and social distancing (and who have probably been crying at night because Trump lost) coming over but I have no say on that. If I did, they wouldn't be allowed over ever due to their sheer idiocy in general. Safe to say I will be isolating myself on that day and eating way apart from everyone else.

Edit: The arguments have already started today so now my thoughts are: fuck this whole fucking holiday. It's bullshit anyway based on rape and genocide. The pilgrim story is a comforting myth for the sensitive. The real first Thanksgiving was a celebration of killing Native people. I don't give a fuck about anyone's feelings about what I am saying so don't even try to say shit about how long ago that was and how the meaning has changed. I can be thankful for things any other day of the year and if you need a holiday with a fucked up history to be thankful for the things in your life, something is wrong with you.
    Last edited by Berlin; November 26th, 2020 at 11:45 AM.

I won't be home, but I also won't be with anyone who I haven't been having regular contact with throughout the pandemic. I'll be going to my sister's house, with her husband and my two nieces who have been distance learning. She did reach out to me to say that if we at all felt uncomfortable that she will understand if we wanted to back out of Thanksgiving. But I told her, we're okay if you're okay with keeping the plan as is. We may not stay too long, just long enough for us to eat and for me to finish my laundry [because you can't beat free laundry].

Blog Entries

Usual “Friendsgiving” is off. That’s alright.

Smallest turkey my partner and I could get is over 15 pounds! I’m totally okay with this. Turkey is one of my favorite things. I’ve already made one (as I’m out of town for aforementioned medical procedure / recovery), but I won’t complain about another.

I already made homemade pumpkin and pecan pies too. The pecan one was a recipe I hadn’t tried before that called for bourbon. I didn’t have that so I used dark rum. It was alright - pecan pie isn’t my favorite. The homemade crust I made was pretty amazing, but sadly, my food processor had some kind of fatal problem while mixing it. :/

Looking forward to some deviled eggs too. I’m grateful for a lot of things this year that could have been worse, but there’s a lot I’m anxious about at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Berlin View Post
    The usual thing that happens every year. Probably have two asswipe morons who think that they're the exception to mask rules and social distancing (and who have probably been crying at night because Trump lost) coming over but I have no say on that. If I did, they wouldn't be allowed over ever due to their sheer idiocy in general. Safe to say I will be isolating myself on that day and eating way apart from everyone else.

Edit: The arguments have already started today so now my thoughts are: fuck this whole fucking holiday. It's bullshit anyway based on rape and genocide. The pilgrim story is a comforting myth for the sensitive. The real first Thanksgiving was a celebration of killing Native people. I don't give a fuck about anyone's feelings about what I am saying so don't even try to say shit about how long ago that was and how the meaning has changed. I can be thankful for things any other day of the year and if you need a holiday with a fucked up history to be thankful for the things in your life, something is wrong with you.
    Yup, all of that.

Trying to tell older relatives that it's a fucked up celebration of genocide when all they understand is that it's a nice warm fuzzy Hallmark moment is a tough sell, though. I've certainly tried.

Blog Entries

My family made turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce, potatoes, brussel sprouts, and pies. I skipped the turkey, but the stuffing was good, and the cranberry sauce was pretty good too; I substituted in some orange juice for one third of the sugar that usually gets added and I think it worked well. Turkey took a long time to cook, too--three hours, which I'm told is truly bizarre. Certainly the rest of the family was at a loss to explain it.

Thanksgiving is usually at the relatives, but obviously that wasn't going to happen this year.

I'm definitely enjoying the time off work.
    "If you are worthy of his affection, a cat will be your friend but never your slave. He keeps his free will though he loves, and will not do for you what he thinks unreasonable; but if he once gives himself to you, it is with absolute confidence and fidelity of affection." -Theophile Gautier

My sister got some whipped strawberry pie and I'm thinking about interrogating her until she reveals her supplier. Oh my LORD. I'm addicted.