Thread: New Film: Wolf

Blog Entries

Default New Film: Wolf

This is a couple months old, but I just ran across it and it's pretty obscure so I figured I'd post it here.

There's an upcoming film titled Wolf that will feature a protagonist suffering from species dysphoria. To quote Screen Daily on the plot:

Quote Originally Posted by Screen Daily
    It follows a young man who believes he is a wolf trapped in a human body – a real-life condition known as species dysphoria. When sent to a clinic for treatment, he meets other patients with the same condition, who are forced to undergo extreme ‘curative’ therapies at the hands of cruel practitioner The Zookeeper.
    The description doesn't exactly fill me with a lot of confidence. While it could simply be the article not caring about the details, the word choice rubs me the wrong way. Part of this is because the wording kind of conflates species dysphoria with therianthropy itself--if you feel trapped in a human body, then you've probably got it, but identifying as a wolf doesn't mean you've got it--and also because I'm worried about the conflation of clinical lycanthropy and outright delusions with therianthropy. The wording "believes he is a wolf trapped in a human body" doesn't have to be interpreted in that way, but it can be.

This being said, I'm not too worried about the film. There doesn't seem to be a trailer and it looks to be one of those indie film that gets shown at film festivals but otherwise doesn't spread too far. And, even if misguided, the plot description seems like it might be at least mildly sympathetic. So given that we no longer have the obscurity we used to, and isn't substantially worse than the misinformation we already have to deal with, I'm not convinced it will change much for us.

This is probably good.

The plot itself sounds corny, and the point has been raised that making it more about the struggle to live daily life as a therian would be better, which I agree with. But I don't find the premise innately bad; given that people often think we're mentally ill and forced horrific psychiatric treatments used to be pretty common (and still aren't entirely gone), I can suspend my disbelief. I can buy an alternative history where the anti-psychiatry movement never really got organized, the practice never really reformed as a result, and a few therians happened to get unlucky.
    Last edited by cheetah; December 18th, 2020 at 12:22 AM.
    "If you are worthy of his affection, a cat will be your friend but never your slave. He keeps his free will though he loves, and will not do for you what he thinks unreasonable; but if he once gives himself to you, it is with absolute confidence and fidelity of affection." -Theophile Gautier

Blog Entries

Yikes. I’ll probably check it out out of curiosity, but yeah... this type of media portrayal rarely comes across well.

This is the most terrible premise for a movie that I've ever heard of.

The only way I could see this working is if the first quarter of the movie takes itself hyper seriously, and then it becomes some kind of surreal comedy after that. It would still be a terrible movie, but it might be the kind of curiosity that someone would watch if they're piss drunk or stoned out of their mind. Kind of like Rubber.
    Last edited by TopBrass; December 18th, 2020 at 09:12 PM.
    "The first volume of the present publication has the aim of uncloaking these sheep, who take themselves and are taken for wolves; of showing how their bleating merely imitates in a philosophic form the conceptions of the German middle class; how the boasting of these philosophic commentators only mirrors the wretchedness of the real condition.." -Marx, The German Ideology

Blog Entries

It would be worse as surreal comedy, I think. You know that it would lean into simply making mockery of us. There'd really be no way they'd avoid it, given the premise. Targeting the institution seems like it would really only lend itself to black comedy, so the only thing to treat as surreal is our existence.

EDIT: Actually, thinking about this more, you could satirize the historic practices, I take that back. Nevertheless, in a comedy our existence would in and of itself get treated--by the viewers if not the creators--as part of the joke.
    Last edited by cheetah; December 18th, 2020 at 08:03 PM.
    "If you are worthy of his affection, a cat will be your friend but never your slave. He keeps his free will though he loves, and will not do for you what he thinks unreasonable; but if he once gives himself to you, it is with absolute confidence and fidelity of affection." -Theophile Gautier

Quote Originally Posted by Kisota View Post
    Yikes. but yeah... this type of media portrayal rarely comes across well.
    +1

I am kind of interested considering my own struggles with the subject matter, I wonder who are the producers and what are their aims. Is it merely to try and capitalize on a niche minority in a 'teen wolf' fashion? Or just maybe a new and exciting story to spin to the mainstream in a creativity starved media industry?

I kind of think the latter. :/

Blog Entries

They look to be some small-time film producer. IMDb says their most recent movie made under four thousand, and just like their movies, they don't appear to have much in the way of an Internet presence. They and another founded Feline Films, which hasn't produced any movies yet but does have some basic information on who started the company.

Quote Originally Posted by cheetah View Post
    This is a couple months old, but I just ran across it and it's pretty obscure so I figured I'd post it here.

'There's an upcoming film titled Wolf that will feature a protagonist suffering from species dysphoria. To quote on the plot:'

It follows a young man who believes he is a wolf trapped in a human body – a real-life condition known as species dysphoria. When sent to a clinic for treatment, he meets other patients with the same condition, who are forced to undergo extreme ‘curative’ therapies at the hands of cruel practitioner The Zookeeper.
    There was something about that whole description that bothered me and it didn't dawn on me until a bit later. The plot line sounds like someone just took the premise of the whole "Pray the Gay Away" camp idea and repainted it with 'therian colors', then just filled in the blanks. I am suspect as to what the motivation or the muse that the creator would claim led to this product, what they would cite for inspiration.

Apologies for being late to the party on this one but I knew something bothered me about this and I was too tired to place it at the time.
    Last edited by Koba; December 19th, 2020 at 01:23 AM. Reason: Mcspelling

I heard about this too! I'm afraid it's going to be really terrible, but I'm so curious I definitely plan on watching it when it's out.