Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Myth and Monsters

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by elinox View Post
    I have, much less often, also experienced the blood rage many werewolves describe. I often think of myself, in my own mind, as a monster. Not as a negative, evil creature, just beastial and wild and definitely not entirely human.
    Some of the rougher parts of me map well onto "not entirely human" in a monstrous sense. I remember someone on Twitter calling me "a creature reduced to skulking in the shadows" or something similar and I was just laughing because hey, I can live with that.
    "To insult someone we call him 'bestial'. For deliberate cruelty and nature, 'human' might be the greater insult."
    — Isaac Asimov

Quote Originally Posted by elinox View Post
    I tend to root for the "monsters" in movies too. I empathize with the semi-human, the hybrid creature, the monster, etc. and often see myself in those characters. The things that cannot be described as "human".

As for my experiences, for the wolf, they could certainly be classified with werewolves and thus, monsters.
    This is super relatable. I'm always drawn to nonhuman/monster/etc characters in media, I think because they feel more relatable to me in both a literal nonhuman sense and a sort of outsider sense associated with it. And, despite not being a wolf, I do relate a lot to werewolves in terms of being a canine-person, and thus feel a monster connection through that.

Blog Entries

Much like other people here, it's honestly a lot of the time easier to relate to the "monsters" than the "normal people." The more bestial monsters, anyway; monsters like vampires and demons aren't relatable at all. In terms of relatability in those sorts of media, it tends to go bestial monsters > normal people > refined and urbane monsters.

Aside from the obvious reasons I can empathize with bestial monsters--my mental image of myself is feline, and I can feel a lot of the animalistic urges (and even those I don't make intuitive sense to me)--it's also because I tend to have a hard time understanding human social cues and norms. I've gotten better over the years, but it is still fundamentally easier to get, "I'm really hungry so I'm eating this dude" than it is to get, like... romantic drama.
    "If you are worthy of his affection, a cat will be your friend but never your slave. He keeps his free will though he loves, and will not do for you what he thinks unreasonable; but if he once gives himself to you, it is with absolute confidence and fidelity of affection." -Theophile Gautier

Quote Originally Posted by cheetah View Post
    Much like other people here, it's honestly a lot of the time easier to relate to the "monsters" than the "normal people." The more bestial monsters, anyway; monsters like vampires and demons aren't relatable at all. In terms of relatability in those sorts of media, it tends to go bestial monsters > normal people > refined and urbane monsters.

Aside from the obvious reasons I can empathize with bestial monsters--my mental image of myself is feline, and I can feel a lot of the animalistic urges (and even those I don't make intuitive sense to me)--it's also because I tend to have a hard time understanding human social cues and norms. I've gotten better over the years, but it is still fundamentally easier to get, "I'm really hungry so I'm eating this dude" than it is to get, like... romantic drama.
    This, ^ yes! I oftentimes forget that I'm not the only one to think and feel this way. I often don't get human social cues either and am looked at as "the weird one" so it's so refreshing to be reminded that I'm not alone, or even weird, in this. I'm just an animal. :P

"That's wolves for ya', good guys!" -Wolf, t10k
    wolf/werewolf & feline | 39 | female | writer | scuba diver | funny | chaotic good | Hufflepuff | INFP | eclectic witch

I often find myself frustrated and confused by social cues. I may take something literally or not get when someone is done with a conversation or exchange. My biggest point of frustration and confusion is flirting.

My relation to monsters is something I explored several years ago as I figured out my vampire 'kintype (which is an animalistic humanoid). I came to realize I'm also monster-hearted & ended up writing some about that & the concept of monstrosity in my life & self. I posted them on my site if anyone is interested.

It's interesting & comforting to hear others on here who connect with monsters in some way.
    My therianthropy writings:
    ~Check out Radiant Obscurities, and help contribute to its development
    ~Poly'kin of: mongoose, domestic cat, domestic horse, winged theropod (erdenvogel), and vampire'kin (blutpir) [not psi/sang]

Blog Entries

Looking into monsters of any kind, specifically the ones in horror movies, made me discover this community, so I'm actually thankful for that.

It was a friendly nut who declared himself a werewolf that brought me into discovering it. I had my fingers crossed back then to find out if he was telling the truth. My heart went boom-boom when I discovered it was a real hang-out place with similar-minded individuals.

I've always had a knack for creature feature films and books alike, because in the end, one is constantly craving the excitement that "unnatural" beings entail. And, I'm a heavy metal fan, as well, though I don't see the link there, apart from it being generally darker than other styles of music.

The sad thing is that most of the time, these monsters or kindred souls as we call them, die at the end of many movies, like Godzilla for instance or Dracula, to name a few. It's hard to find some where monsters prosper or live in harmony with each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
    This might come off as weird- Wait, this is werelist. Let's go nuts!

Just curious to know if any of you think of yourself as being monsters or like monsters. I bring this up because, in the shower today, it accured to me that, if I have a true form, or if I saw my scorpion self in a dream, it might look like a monster more than a normal scorpion. I've always enjoyed horror movies and heavy metal and feel a certain connection to monsterious things. Then again, were I to see a scorpion from a point of view other than from the point of view of a human looking down at it, it might seem alien or monstrous.

I felt a certain rightness to the feeling, and I also felt an acceptance. Should it turn out I am some sort of mythical monster in some capacity or another, it doesn't mean I have to be a certain way or not be another way. I'm still me.

I'm wondering how many mythical creatures we have, and I wonder how many of you would be considered monsters? I know there are dragon therians.

I'm still not comfortable calling myself a mythical creature, even with some cue-by-fours in altered states of consciousness.
    No, I am just a normal earth animal. A Timber Wolf. I have no feelings or connections to Mythical monsters or creatures. Do I like mythical creatures, Yes. But when it comes to my therianthropy. I don't feel a connection to any creature like I do with wolves.
    Last edited by hotdogwolf; April 6th, 2021 at 09:12 AM.

Blog Entries

I definitely heavily relate to and identify with "monsters". I mean, by nature of my fictheriotype I could very well be considered a monster. Because of it I'd questioned being a dragon therian as well, which got blurred a lot due to me being other-hearted with dragons. But because of my odd relationship with humanity brought on by the combination of my two kintypes, the concept of monsters and mythical creatures becomes heavily relatable.

I could see therians relating a lot to monsters, especially when exploring the blurring of human and nonhuman identity in reference to the model of levels of integration.
    Jasper - He/him - 23
    Alolan Marowak Fictherian - Dragon-Hearted
    Wildly curious and here for a good time.

I believe my hellhound kintype is an extension of my dog theriotype, created mostly as a subconscious coping mechanism. So I guess I'm taking it more literally here, but yeah, I definitely do feel like a monster sometimes, because I had to feel monstrous and powerful and in control, in order to protect myself from getting hurt as much. Completely a mental thing though; I definitely never hurt anyone during my hellhound shifts, although I've had thoughts about it. I see my hellhound side as feral, but when I shift into it I feel more anthro, which I think is just for convenience. I'm most often phantom shifted partially so I'll feel like an anthro animal or like an anime catgirl but with dog ears/tail or whatever instead lol. This is the form I've liked most lately, and I think in a perfect world, I'd have dog ears and a tail and fangs, but appear mostly human.