Thread: Media Looking for Therians/ Otherkin (Possible Scam)

Default Media Looking for Therians/ Otherkin (Possible Scam)

I wanted to warn people about what is probably a troll or scam. Ages ago, I had videos relating to otherkin and therianthropy. Having been all around the belifs and UPG city, I opted to set them to private a very long time ago. I made a video having nothing to do with these topics. It was me tasting some Sumerian beer I made. I got a random comment asking me if I wanted to participate in some TV show or another or new story. I didn't even finish reading it since it looked like a huge con to me.

I would strongly suggest ignoring such comments, deleting them, and blocking the user. Here it goes:

Hello!! Just came across your YT page and very much enjoyed. We are shooting a new documentary series (casting message below) and wanted to pass this along. Let me know if you have interest OR if you know someone who would be. ______________ We want to hear your story! . With that said, I work for Hit + Run Creative and we are casting a new series for a major cable network, who has deep roots within the worlds of news and journalism. For this new series, we are looking for an individual who is going through a struggle or personal conflict as a result of their OTHERKIN or THERIAN identity. Has it affected your relationship with loved ones? Caused a problem at work? Whatever the challenge may be, we are looking for individuals who are open to speaking with a neutral third party, who could help speak to you about these challenges... heal this conflict in your life... all while respecting you in a very non-judgmental way. If you are interested OR know someone who maybe, please reach out to me ASAP! Look forward to hearing from you. Bryan Severance 732.673.2456

I have no idea whether that's legit or not. For what it's worth, Google shows that the person has sent similar messages to other people for a whole range of topics.

Regardless, I can't think of a single case where therianthropy has been fairly covered in the media, let alone on any so-called reality TV show. At the very least, it's a scam in the sense that any TV producer almost certainly isn't there to be "a neutral third party", respect you, or anything else.

With that said, it would be interesting to see how the BBC would cover therianthropy given that they're bound by more stringent standards and aren't chasing profit. I say that because I recently saw a video they made about furries which seemed to be much fairer and informative than any others I've seen. They've generally covered other niche communities in a similar way too.
    "We have doomed the wolf not for what it is, but for what we deliberately and mistakenly perceive it to be––the mythologized epitome of a savage, ruthless killer––which is, in reality, no more than the reflected image of ourself." – Farley Mowat, Never Cry Wolf

I would VERY strongly recommend against falling for this, unless you want to be made to look entertainingly insane and permanently unemployable for the benefit of some network's ratings. Seriously, they have a long history of creatively cutting footage and quotes to make someone look as amusingly, shockingly crazy as possible. You don't want to be their clickbait. Just don't. A lot of folks have been fucked over hard by this kind of thing, and it can have long term bad consequences for you.

Yeah, I gotta side with Savage on this. I just don't see any hope of any reality TV show giving us a fair hearing.

Blog Entries

Historically they haven’t, nor have any of the ones calling themselves documentaries. The problem is there will always be great incentive NOT to be impartial and factual, and there are incredible means to apply spin however they want.

The incentive not to be impartial and detached is because the goal making media is for people to consume it, and more extreme content gets more clicks/views. (This is also partially why popular science, especially online ,tends to give awful spin to scientific studies and apply misleading click-bait titles).

The ability to apply spin in whatever direction they want and to make you look crazy no matter how reasonable you are, is largely through the power of the editing room. See this bit by Charlie Brooker where he demonstrates how easy it is to tell any story you want to tell by editing and juxtaposing shots, applying music or voiceovers, or using misleading cuts.

I mean, don't take this as our trying to be the boss of you or anyone else's choices. This is just a basic statement of fact and history as to how bad it is when you agree to go on TV, even if they claim it is a 'documentary'. That is not how TV works. They will use you for clickbait in ways you should be fully aware of, including very misleading editing. They have done so multiple times to multiple therians who thought they could successfully present themselves in a calm and dignified manner. They won't let you do that, even if they have to cut in sound effects and 'crazy' lighting, as they did to Coyote when they re-cut his footage as a 'spooky' Halloween special after they promised that kind of shit would not happen.

I am not the boss of you. If you want fame badly enough to be willing to be made to look crazy, unemployable or just silly, it's your choice. But that really is what happens. They aren't there to make you look good, they're there to sell ratings. And selling ratings means making you look as entertainingly spooky, scary, funny or crazy as possible. You will not be respected. You will be used, and mercilessly so, for clickbait. This is not a kindly offer, it's a trap for the unwary. Don't fall for it.

Savage, oh no, I don't take any of this is people trying to be the boss of me or anyone else. If you read my posts, I agree with the cautious and cynical view of a comment like that, at least that is what I hoped to communicate. I posted to warn people as well as to be corrected if my mistrust was misplaced. I appreciate the responses. I think the issues of exposing ourselves to the media, when, and how, are important.