Thread: Wolfwalkers

Blog Entries

Default Wolfwalkers

Anyone else seen this one yet?

Synopsis:

“In a time of superstition and magic, when wolves are seen as demonic and nature an evil to be tamed, a young apprentice hunter, Robyn, comes to Ireland with her father to wipe out the last pack. But when Robyn saves a wild native girl, Mebh, their friendship leads her to discover the world of the Wolfwalkers and transform her into the very thing her father is tasked to destroy.”

I would have lost my MIND over this movie had it been around when I was a kid.

Lots to like here: Irish history, folklore, wolf transformations, falconry, feral kids. The other films from this studio are great as well, and they all have similar themes of history and folklore. The animation style is also really fun to look at. I especially like in this one how the shapes of the forest are all soft curves and the town is totally angular.

My mate and I watched this one and he wouldn’t stop saying how much it made him think of me, and we both had big big feelings. Highly recommend if you haven’t seen it yet! It’s an Apple TV exclusive right now, which is a little difficult.

I watched this just last night and thought it was great! I am willing to admit a few moments had me tearing up because it depicted many aspects of my own early childhood and non-humanity. The 2D animation style is a much needed breath of fresh air, especially amongst the live-action remakes that have been pumped out over the last few years. As for the Apple TV exclusive problem, I just started a free trial and cancelled after finishing the movie.

I'm glad you enjoyed it!
    Last edited by Ursa Major; February 20th, 2021 at 12:03 AM.
    "Haven't you ever thought of living unconsciously like bears, sniffing the earth, close to pears and the mossy dark, far from human voices and fire?" - Nâzım Hikmet, Poems of Nazım Hikmet

Can I find it on Amazon prime or Netflix?

No, Eersian, unfortunately it is only available using an Apple TV+ subscription. You could try doing what I did: sign up for the free trial and cancel the subscription after watching the movie. It will not make you pay unless you fail to cancel the free trial in time.
    "Haven't you ever thought of living unconsciously like bears, sniffing the earth, close to pears and the mossy dark, far from human voices and fire?" - Nâzım Hikmet, Poems of Nazım Hikmet

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ursa Major View Post
    I watched this just last night and thought it was great. I am willing to admit a few moments had me tearing up because it depicted many aspects of my own childhood and non-humanity. The 2D animation style is a much needed breath of fresh air, especially amongst the live-action remakes that have been pumped out over the last few years. As for the Apple TV exclusive problem, I just started a free trial and cancelled after finishing the movie.

I'm glad you enjoyed it!
    My feelings exactly. I really miss interesting styles of 2D animation.
    And YEAH, there’s a lot to relate to. Wolf Children had even more moments of that sort to me - even if I think the stylization of wolves in that movie is a little goofy, the childhood of the kids is ALL too relatable!

Blog Entries

We loved the movie! Really hoping the movie gets a DVD release in the future so it is not locked behind an Apple TV subscription forever.

The animation was beautiful. Their implication of older designs into the animation is amazing. The company who created it have just a unique way of stylizing shapes and movement in their movies. (For example, how many times throughout the movie the wolves are more treated as their own single entity rather than many separate entities.)

The story is lovely. Nothing to complicated but it doesn't have to be either. The characters are all memorable, the relationships with other characters are interesting, etc. Our wishing there was "more" is solely because it was a good movie rather than it being because something was lacking in the movie itself. (That is why fanfiction and headcanons are for though.) We teared up a few times at different points of the movie, and after the movie we were inspired to make a few pieces of art.

Therianthropic feelings related, any depiction of people leaving their bodies to take on animal form naturally hits really hard into the relatable category. So any time a story depicts transformation in that way rather than a body phyical transformation really grabs our interests and hits us in the emotions.

Also, our history nerd interests were spinning after watching the movie because of the movies inspiration being the werewolves of Ossory. It has going back and comparing the movie to the English translation of the Latin poem.

- Earth Listener (she/her, aleurodon)

Blog Entries

I think I posted it in my art thread already, but I was so touched I was inspired to do some art inspired by the film too! I’d love to see yours!!

I definitely really appreciate family friendly movies like this that are nonetheless complex and not... silly and dopey.

I've seen it almost ten times by now, haha. It's one of my favorite movies.