Thread: WolfQuest

Default WolfQuest

Hi everyone, sorry for not being around much lately.

I recently stumbled across WolfQuest again, and was wondering how many of you (especially wolf therians) have heard of/played it. If you have, what do you think of it?

For those who aren't familiar, it's an open-world role-playing game set in Yellowstone in which you are a young wolf who has recently dispersed from his or her natal pack. You have to learn to hunt different prey, find a mate, establish a territory, raise pups, etc.

The game itself was originally developed with funding from the US National Science Foundation and others to act as an educational resource, to teach people how wolves live in the wild. Seriously, it's impressive how much attention to detail they've invested to ensure the gameplay is an accurate reflection of wolf behaviour – they even collaborated with people like Dr Mech and other wolf experts to develop it. It's also just a really fun game (coming from somebody who isn't usually much of a gamer).

As it turns out, the developers have recently released a major update too (WolfQuest: Anniversary Edition) which is also a massive improvement to what I remember the original to be when I played it years ago.

I could ramble on about this for ages, so I'll stop. Overall though, I can't think of any other game that could be better-suited to therians, especially wolves. In fact, I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned here before (at least, I couldn't find a previous thread about it). I'd really recommend trying it if you haven't already.
    "We have doomed the wolf not for what it is, but for what we deliberately and mistakenly perceive it to be––the mythologized epitome of a savage, ruthless killer––which is, in reality, no more than the reflected image of ourself." – Farley Mowat, Never Cry Wolf

Blog Entries

I have been waiting for the Anniversary edition to hit iOS, since none of my PCs can run it well. I have saves on the mobile version on my phone where I can "care" for my pups. I get too dysphoric anyway. I do love running, anywhere in game as a wolf. sigh...

Quote Originally Posted by AziMWolf View Post
    I have been waiting for the Anniversary edition to hit iOS, since none of my PCs can run it well.
    Hopefully it's not too much longer to wait for iOS.

Have you tried adjusting the quality settings in the PC version? My PC sounds like a jet engine when I'm running it, but aside from that I'm having no issues with crashes or lag in the Fast setting (but one step up to Good overloads it). Even in the Fastest setting the quality is still remarkably good imo.

Quote Originally Posted by AziMWolf View Post
    I get too dysphoric anyway. I do love running, anywhere in game as a wolf. sigh...
    I was meaning to mention this actually in my original post. I haven't felt dysphoria this intense for a long time before playing this – it's really taken me aback. It's a double-edged sword though because in a weird way it both feeds and relieves that feeling.
    "We have doomed the wolf not for what it is, but for what we deliberately and mistakenly perceive it to be––the mythologized epitome of a savage, ruthless killer––which is, in reality, no more than the reflected image of ourself." – Farley Mowat, Never Cry Wolf