Thread: Workshop and Informal Gathering Idea

Blog Entries

Default Workshop and Informal Gathering Idea

Hey guys. There is a convention in my area called "Mystic South". It is a diverse pagan convention. I am playing with the idea of submitting a workshop about therianthropy. Any thoughts or warnings? Any of you have any experience doing something like that? Any advice?

Another idea I had is an informal gathering like everyone meeting at a reseraunt, in a room etc. for informal discussion and meet and greet, like a room party but with a subject. Again, thoughts, advice, and warnings are appreciated.

I've never done something like this before.

Blog Entries

Oh hey, I've heard of the Mystic South before. If it weren't a little out of the way for me, I'd probably go myself.

I've done convention lectures and academic lectures before on otherkin and related topics, but I've never done a workshop (and don't fully understand what a workshop at a convention entirely entails and what makes it different from panels and lectures, to be honest). My best general advice from my experiences is to make sure that you're submitting something that is both relevant to your own interests and relevant to the convention-goers' interests; for something like the Mystic South, you'll probably need to incorporate pagan topics and elements into it (or maybe just approach Therianthropy from a pagan angle, depending on how you want to do it). Talking about a subject in a structured way for a full hour can actually be fairly difficult if you don't have a lot od practice and stuff memorized on the topic, or if you're like me and just have memory problems and a tendency to ramble, so I also really highly recommend writing an outline for what you're going to say, even if it's just a handful of index cards with bullet-points, and then timing yourself and seeing where you're at (while taking into account audience participation too). It's also important to define words or avoid too much confusing jargon that your audience may not understand.

Beyond that, just make sure you've got a solid idea of what you'd like the workshop to be and how you plan for it to go before submitting. You don't need to have it fully fleshed out, but if you get accepted without a roadmap in mind you run the risk of getting stuck and turned around in the pre-con planning phrase. I've had that issue before, where I went into something with only a vague idea of a topic rather than something solid, and it can get rough.

Can't give any advice on the gathering because all my Howls have just been a bunch of animals informally getting together to spend time with one another, but that sounds like a fun and cool idea.
    Last edited by Who-Is-Page; January 18th, 2022 at 10:35 AM.

Blog Entries

Thanks very much, Page. On second thought, I don't see that a theranthropy/ otherkin workshop would be a great idea. I should probably hold off on it at least.

Now, having a room party or informal meeting sounds like something I can swing. I just don't know how to go abour organizing such a thing.