Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Daily Thought - The 25th!

That's exciting, cheetah!!

Daily thought: Today is my fourth year anniversary of having my name legally changed. I like recognizing my Name Day 'cause I like excuses to celebrate things (I do half birthdays, too), but it also brings up complicated memories about ways some people reacted to my name change and what the process overall was like. The other day I stumbled across my receipt from filing for it at the courts, and the fees were just ridiculous. There was a $2 "access to justice" fee - WTF. The whole thing cost me about $400. Idk, it's fun to celebrate my Name Day but it's also a reminder of transphobia =\

Blog Entries

I have another friend struggling with name change stuff right now. It seems like a horrendous ordeal. I get why a good record / paper trail is important, but they absolutely do not need to make it so difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by Kisota View Post
    I have another friend struggling with name change stuff right now. It seems like a horrendous ordeal. I get why a good record / paper trail is important, but they absolutely do not need to make it so difficult.
    It really is ridiculous. I hope your friend at least doesn't have to deal with the newspaper part (I know more states have gotten rid of that since I did it, and I found that to be the most obnoxious bit). Either way, best of luck to them!

Daily thought: I've been dealing with stomach issues all week, but as of yesterday and today I'm starting to feel a bit better. I hope it continues to improve and goes away.

Blog Entries

I've read close to 75 scientific papers in the last couple months or so, and have about 10 tabs open with more right now.

There is NOTHING like reading scientific papers (and conducting research) to make you fully aware of your dearth of knowledge. Every single paper is its own rabbit hole, with Works Cited lists stretching onward and outward fractally. It's never-ending. It is absolutely humbling.

And I, the chaos idiot, flounder around hoping to put some kind of understanding together while my two brain cells float around and hope to collide.

My twin sister is *teaching* stats and I still feel like that gif of Christian Bale and Kermit nodding whenever I'm reading the statistical analyses. Smiling, nodding. "I know some of these words!"
    Last edited by Kisota; March 1st, 2022 at 05:06 PM.

I know what you mean. I spend a lot of time reading scientific or educational material. At times I just sit back and think to myself about how stupid I am. If you'd like another rabbit hole in your field I'm not sure if you have read anything on the emerging investigations into 'Quantum Biology'. Interestingly it becoming suspect that the unknown mechanism that birds us to navigate involves Quantum Entanglement. There was also some talk of how Photosynthesis uses Quantum Mechanics to move energy generated from light with almost zero loss. Interesting stuff.

Cue rabbit hole, lol. ( Video where they talk about the bird thing. )

I like how they loosely say 'biology is messy' cus yeah, it is. Ew. :P

Also! Interestingly they mention 'we' are at the verge of the intersection of Information Technology and Neuroscience, and yus. Truly relevant to today! ( and yikes scary thought. )

It is good to know thought that I'm not the only one reading through some of these things and finding words I just have no clue what they mean. Which ends up being its own rabbit hole sometimes. I end up doing searches on the different words which often times have their own tree of research associated with it. I mean, just insane volumes of information. Fun stuff. ;3
    Last edited by Koba; March 2nd, 2022 at 02:27 PM.

Blog Entries

The website has been inaccessible on my Windows PC with both Chrome and Firefox for close to half a year now, but it’s been a few weeks since I last checked. On my non-Windows machines it works fine, though.

Blog Entries

There’s been a problem with one of the redirects for a while. If you could put in a ticket at the service counter and describe the problem you’ve been having, it would help us a lot with working to fix it!! I know a few people have been having trouble.

*walks in,
    reads feed*
    "Nope, not touching any of that."
    *walks back out*

.meh
    Last edited by Koba; March 11th, 2022 at 08:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Koba View Post
    *walks in,
    reads feed*
    "Nope, not touching any of that."
    *walks back out*

.meh
    Feeling that!

I just came here to post about how amazing it is to me that so many people are capable of writing all this stuff at once. It's not an insult- actually, I'd say it's a compliment. I wish I could write longer posts. It's just that it can take me an hour to collect my thoughts into just a couple paragraphs. And even then, after carefully selecting what I say and making sure I'm clear and easy to read...it all gets misread anyway.

I've been practicing by journaling and such but I still don't get very far without my mind descending into a full on tangent or seven. And then I forget I was writing. And by the time I remember, I've lost my train of thought completely, so it's just another unfinished draft.
    Last edited by Kerguelen; March 12th, 2022 at 02:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerguelen View Post
    .....It's just that it can take me an hour to collect my thoughts into just a couple paragraphs. And even then, after carefully selecting what I say and making sure I'm clear and easy to read...it all gets misread anyway.

I've been practicing by journaling and such but I still don't get very far without my mind descending into a full on tangent or seven. And then I forget I was writing. And by the time I remember, I've lost my train of thought completely....
    Cracking me up Kerguelen.

That is pretty similar to my process and how I feel the general outcome of doing so usually goes. Given such I usually won't engage unless I feel particularly strongly about something. I'm bad about getting off topic too so if I want to have a windy intelligent sounding post I'd have to sit down and brainstorm, take notes and all that. Of course I'm not above an occasional rant cus what crazy person doesn't love to rant about crazy shit. :P

A lot of people love to be argumentative too just for the sake of being so and I got better shit to do with my time.... like stare at the wall xD

Not really saying here on WL, just kind of in general, in person as well. Rather just try to keep things pleasant(er). I wouldn't consider anything I say particularly important anyway. lol. I do however, appreciate those that can and do write very engagingly on subjects and there is a lot that others write I find personally relevant even if I feel I have nothing to add.
    Last edited by Koba; March 12th, 2022 at 11:41 AM.