Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Community History

Blog Entries

Default Community History

Some of you might know of Wolf Van Zandt's Therian Timeline. It is very fragmentary in certain areas, and I was hoping there may be someone around from the beginnings of the AHWW era to answer a few questions I had. This is mainly a matter of personal interest to me, though it is admittedly trivial.

Was there any new community hub that filled the vacuum after the diminishing of AHWW in ~1997? I haven't found much information, but a few searches turned up something on "WereNet". If anyone knows when it was created, who founded it, and when it died; then I would be interested in that information.

I first found the online community in 2004, and I vaguely remember therianthropy.org. I think it was called the Awereness forum, but I don't remember for sure. It was a long time ago, and if I remember correctly it went offline not terribly long afterwards and had a "under construction" page up for several years after that. I don't know who founded that, but I would also be interested to hear when that was started up as well.

As I said, I don't know if anyone here has been around that long(Savage and Jakkal maybe?), but thanks for your time.

This seems to answer your questions: http://en.wikifur.com/wiki/WereNet
    'Whoever strives with all his might, that man we can redeem.' (Goethe)

One of our members, House of Chimeras, has a website called Between Forrest and Sea with some great information on when various therian websites/forums were created. The timeline is located on this page here (Informative Articles) and categorizes events by individual years. According to their information, Were.Net was created sometime in 1998.
    Last edited by Somnia; August 22nd, 2015 at 09:04 AM.

Thank you, Somnia. Information about the history of our community is very helpful to me as well. Despite being awakened for a good 15 years, I spent most of that time offline. I feel like I missed a lot of important events that I'm learning about now.

Thanks from me, as well. It looks like an interesting website and I'm generally very interested in the history of our community.
    'Whoever strives with all his might, that man we can redeem.' (Goethe)

Blog Entries

I've been around since 1995. I helped SabreLion build WereNet up as a community resource back in the late 90's and early 2000's. There were a couple of other communities around them (Lycanthrope.org for example) but none of them were as large and well organized as WereNet. Therianthropy.Org came about around 2000, or 2001. Uath and I started that while we were working as web designers. WN was more focused on its chat room and TO was more focused on its forums, which is how we managed to run the two sites successfully and concurrently.

I can try to answer any other questions if you have them.
    My WebComics: Black Tapestries + The Realm of Kaerwyn
    My Creative Group Writing RP: Kaerwyn

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jakkal View Post
    I've been around since 1995. I helped SabreLion build WereNet up as a community resource back in the late 90's and early 2000's.
    What ever happened to SabreLion and TiggyBot? One of the two helped upload a custom icon for me. SabreLion, I think? What happened to Critical Cat, the mountain lion? She was pretty neat. I didn't know her personally, but we ran in similar circles.

ETA: Jakkal, my first interaction with you was on WereNet. A dinosaur therian or someone implied called me an idiot, so I replied that "It takes one to know one :-)"; he squirmed and tried to argue; and then you backed me up by posting: "Sometimes it takes one to know one."

WereNet had a reputation for being intelligent but overly harsh and cliquish. I lurked on WereNet even before Swiftpaw decided to leave. I never participated much. I remember contacting iisaw, a coyote therian who moderated one forum on Werewolf.com, of all places. (Those forums were pretty terrible. Really fluffy.) They responded with an offer to let me moderate that forum with the permission of Chris, the owner. But it really would have been hopeless no matter who was moderator; I remember the regulars sucking up to LycanthropicHowl, a new moderator, calling her "my alpha" along with bowing emotes. (Swiftpaw burst into laughter at my LJ entry that followed LH's social accomplishments. To be clear, I was only ever an acquaintance of Swiftpaw, not a friend.)

I lurked a lot and posted a bit on Oakpaw's Forum (ezboard), back when I sneered at Goldenwolf and her own private forum. . . which a friend temporarily gave me access to. (I still sneer at Goldenwolf, for what it's worth.)

I remember meeting Quil years later on ThresholdShift. That was maybe 2003? I met Sarah, lynxspirit, not long after. I still miss her company a bit.

I remember running into the white supremacist called "Nehi" before he published his Were Bible, which I still haven't read and never intend to read. He had his own message board, like everyone else. It was micromanaged by a vicious female wolf therian who had the forum title "Ace of Spades". (Mine was "Werewolf", given to me after I explained totemism in depth using snow leopard as an example.) She really was awful, the meanest person I've ever encountered. She even tussled with me, my sixteen year-old self, and I wasn't about to back down to her, of all people. Respect is earned.

The first therianthropy page I ever encountered was written by Ron the werebat. I'm not sure which site it was hosted on. Good memories, anyhow.

What happened to that tr00 were survey? When was it taken down?

I remember Real Life Therianthropy, but I had nothing to prove to anyone. I didn't join. I didn't see the point. I remember that Quil joined when he was only eleven. Bowtie expressed surprise at that fact and naturally had to let him in.
    Last edited by Coyote Jones; August 24th, 2015 at 08:20 PM.

Blog Entries

I left WereNet around 2002, it was just after I started making my Webcomic. Infact I think I left on my birthday, which was July 14 of that year. Between 2002-2004, I slowly faded away from Therian communities, so everything after that is a blur for me. I didn't do much related to therianthropy online. I had a RL pack of my husband and Uath, so we talked about it a long amongst ourselves and we didn't really have a need for the community support any longer.

I remained here because a familiar admin was needed, but I didn't really do much.

The only other big therianthropy forum that I can think of that ran at the same time as WereNet and TO was Goldenwolf's forums. But that was about as fluffy as werewolf.com's forums. I used to get in many, many flamewars with the idiots on werewolf.com. Oh those were the days.

But anything past 2003, I don't really know much of what went on. Shifters.org went down, TO started getting less activity and I stopped participating on Chat Rooms. I was mostly busy with my webcomics, and my Roleplaying/Group Writing site Kaerwyn.
    My WebComics: Black Tapestries + The Realm of Kaerwyn
    My Creative Group Writing RP: Kaerwyn

Blog Entries

Thanks for the replies! I don't have any further questions, but I might in the future. I'll have to see about bugging Wolf sometime about updating the Therian Timeline.

Nehi, that's a name I haven't seen in a long time. I think he called himself a "Ganchark" or something like that. No idea WTF that is. Funnily enough, I was thinking about that a month or two ago. I remember an acquaintance mentioning his book in the fall of 2004. Never managed to get a hold of it. I've looked and it doesn't seem to be available anywhere. I hadn't heard anything about white supremacism being a part of it, but it wouldn't surprise me for some reason. Strangely, Wolf thought the publication of Nehi's book was a worthy enough event to merit a mention on the timeline.

I recall Goldenwolf's forum and from what I remember it honestly didn't have much to do with therianthropy and there wasn't much pretension of such. It was just a place for fans of her artwork IIRC.

This is making me kind of nostalgic, but it really shouldn't be. I don't miss being an angsty, ignorant teenager.

Blog Entries

Thanks for the link to our site Somnia. Yeah, our long term goal is to have a timeline of as many events which occurred in the therian community as possible. However its an insane work in progress. Mostly because we're really wanting to try to site where we got our information. Which means lots of internet archive digging. We're not sure if members who have been around for a long time are savvy on being directly used as sources, sadly.

- Ocean Touched (bigender, frilled shark and blue glaucus)