Thread: Game Threads and Thread Removal

Default Game Threads and Thread Removal

Game threads will be allowed to run to around 100 posts and after that will be locked and/or deleted by a moderator. Depending on the content of the game, at the moderator's discretion the thread maybe locked first (with or without a notification post of it being locked) and then left in this forum or deleted shortly later, or the thread maybe deleted without locking or notification. All of this is after it reaches the post-limit we've decided on or if the game-thread has been inactive for a notably extended time.

As with other forums on this board, any threads in the Jokes and Random Stuff forum must follow the rules set for this board (though there are some minor exceptions for this forum), and any thread or post which breaks those rules is subject to moderation, either by warning, locking, or removal as is needed or appropriate.
    Last edited by Somnia; September 9th, 2013 at 03:21 PM. Reason: removed the "\" symbols in post

Default Re:Game Threads and Thread Removal

Can I be a shit and ask why? I mean, word games? What be the harm. Just wondering is all.

somewhere outside of Forsheda -> jönköpings Län -> Sweden

there's not a lot of harm i guess, i dunno, maybe they don't want to risk spam, or maybe the bigger threads take up more bandwidh
    Last edited by Somnia; September 9th, 2013 at 03:21 PM. Reason: removing the "\" symbols in post

I believe the description for the board states that overlong or inactive threads would be deleted in order to avoid clogging the database, and since i do believe its always been so. The only difference is that the maximum length of a thread of posts has been clearly stated.

Faileas, that does make sense. I have been on message boards where the admin has a set number of pages, 20-50ish and then the thread auto-locks, a new one then has to be started. I do agree with getting rid of boards that are inactive. I hadn't really though of the bandwidth issue before posing the question.
    Last edited by Somnia; September 9th, 2013 at 03:22 PM. Reason: removing the "\" symbols

There's also the issue of doing the games to up one's post count. Even though it's not easily seen [such as under our names] there are stats that show the most active posters. And to be honest, I don't see why such games should or even need to expand past 100 posts. They take up space with one-word posts, which creates pointless, needless clutter that takes away from the more bigger posts and the mods will have to deal with in the end.
    Last edited by Somnia; September 9th, 2013 at 03:22 PM. Reason: removing the "\" symbols

If post count is an issue is there not a way to stop posts in the games forum counting towards your total count?
    I know on a RP forum I used to own I set it up so that any posts in OOC areas didn't count towards peoples totals. I'm not sure if that's possible with these forums though.
    But yes, I understand the other reasons. This is just a suggestion for the post count/activity issue. :3
    Last edited by Somnia; September 9th, 2013 at 03:23 PM. Reason: removing the "\" symbols

"If post count is an issue is there not a way to stop posts in the games forum counting towards your total count?"
    Nope, not on fireboard, from what i've seen.
    Last edited by Somnia; September 9th, 2013 at 03:23 PM. Reason: removing the "\" symbols

Syre wrote:
    Can I be a shit and ask why? I mean, word games? What be the harm. Just wondering is all.
    Postcount is a trivial matter.

A single-word post actually has plenty of information tagged to it in the database, making it virtually a paragraph of data. The server needs to use a tiny bit of resources going through each one on some operations, and having to sift through a thousand posts of crap stacks up very fast and consumes a ridiculous amount of resources unnecessarily.

It won't actually slow the site down noticably, but will needlessly eat computer power for nothing more than shits and giggles.
    If the load becomes inordinately high, werelist will be shut down by the service providers for bogging down the system. That gives us an incentive to run a tight ship as far as database bloat is concerned.

Werelist is here to be able to conduct thousands of pages of useful discussions;
    Werelist is not here to be filled with a thousand pages of dumb games which have almost no value to anyone whatsoever.
    Several dozens is more than enough.

Nobody actually goes through the entire history of a game thread anyway. If you are "nobody", that's really too bad.
    Last edited by Somnia; September 9th, 2013 at 03:24 PM. Reason: removing the "\" symbols

Since it's been ages since the last update, I wanted to inform people about the issue with post counts.

Posts made in Fun and Games will not be counted towards your post count. This is to help deter people from increasing their post counts for the heck of doing so.

Long running threads such as Cuddle Puffs, etc. will eventually be closed and deleted once a new game thread has started. Please save any important posts on your own once the notice has been given. Thank You.